• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

semi-formal??

BAKAROMA

Mouseketeer
I am trying to avoid packing a suit jacket due to the wrinkling I know it will incur. I have rented a tux for formal night and for Palo. I want to be properly attired on semi-formal night and wonder if a nice dress shirt with a tie and dress pants would suffice. Anyone?

I think that would be fine!
I took kind of the opposite approach, I wore the tux for formal and semi-formal and wore the dress shirt and tie for Palo. I didn't see too many tuxes in Palo.

just wondering if suit or sports coat and Dress pants would be better we are going on the 7 night Magic ty M & E

If you are renting a tux I don't see any need for a suit. You don't even really need dress pants, Khaki's that you can use on regular nights along with a sportcoat and a Polo shirt makes you "resort casual" and that's fine for Palo or Semi-Formal night.

Alex -- aren't you contradicting yourself? If a polo shirt is "resort casual" how can it also be semi-formal?

I guess it depends how you define semi-formal...
you certainly won't stick out at semi formal night or palo with that outfit and it's a lot more flexible and easier to pack than a suit.
You could add a dress shirt and tie, still easier than a suit.

I forgot..you need docksider's :)

You sign up ahead of time and it is delivered to your cabin the first day. I have had REALLY good luck with this company. I never dress up at work we wear jeans and when I have given my measurements to them the people on the phone have had the know how to say "that doesn't sound right with your height and weight your jacket size should be more like" and everything has always fit well.
Disney Cruise Tuxedo Rental

Thanks Alex. That would be fun for DH. I haven't seen him in a Tux since our wedding..
Can I ask the cost??

Never Mind, I went to the website and my question was answered..

Thanks
Linda

Here's what a quick internet search for "definition of semi-formal" turned up -- it does fit with my own personal interpretation of the term, though I'd never heard of Creative Black tie before reading this:

White Tie means ultra-formal. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns. Ultra-formal also means white Tie. Men wear full dress, with white tie, vest, shirt. Women wear long gowns.

Black Tie means formal. Men wear tuxedos, women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates. Formal usually means the same as Black Tie, but in some trendier cities like New York or Los Angeles, it could mean a black shirt, no tie with a tux. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Black Tie Optional means you have the option of wearing a tuxedo, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Black Tie Invited means you have the option of wearing a tuxedo, but it should clue you into the formality of the event, meaning a dark suit and tie would be your other option. Women wear cocktail, long dresses or dressy evening separates.

Creative Black Tie leaves room for trendy interpretations of formal wear. He can go more modern with a tux -- maybe a black shirt, no tie. She wears long or short dresses or evening separates (maybe a long lace or sequined skirt with a sleek cashmere sweater).

Semi-formal is the trickiest of all dress codes. Usually it means that tuxes are not required, nor are long dresses. An evening wedding (after 6 PM) would still dictate dark suits for him, and a cocktail dress for her. Daytime semi-formal events mean a suit for him and an appropriate short dress or dressy suit for her.

Cocktail Attire means short, elegant dresses for her and dark suits for him.

Dressy Casual usually means no jeans or shorts. Similar to business casual, but a tad dressier.

Casual generally means anything goes. Informal can mean the same as casual. However, when associated with a wedding or other special event, some form of decorum and good taste should prevail. A dress for her or a nice pair of slacks and shirt for him are informal, but respectful of the event.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter