Selling direct contract but keeping resale- do I loose perks

CandleontheWater

Forever in love with Hathaway Browne
We own two contracts at Sartagoa Springs, one was purchased directly from Disney and one was resale. Due to some changing family dynamics (some family members no longer want to travel to Disney), we are considering selling our direct contract and keeping our resale. Our direct contract is larger and we just don't need that many points if it will just be our family of 4 traveling. If we sell our direct contract and keep our resale do we lose our perks? If so we'll really have to think about what we want to do, because saving the money on APs is huge for us.

When did you buy the resale contract?

From what I understand you have to maintain a "qualified contract". So, if your resale was purchased prior to the April 2016 changes, you're still safe. If it was after that, you should lose benefits. "Should" as in that's how the rule is intended to work, but whether or not the system still recognizes you as a full benefits member or not is probably another story.

This also applies to contract expirations. Anyone with only a 2042 qualified contract that purchases resale for additional contracts expiring later, should lose direct benefits in 2042.

We own two contracts at Sartagoa Springs, one was purchased directly from Disney and one was resale. Due to some changing family dynamics (some family members no longer want to travel to Disney), we are considering selling our direct contract and keeping our resale. Our direct contract is larger and we just don't need that many points if it will just be our family of 4 traveling. If we sell our direct contract and keep our resale do we lose our perks? If so we'll really have to think about what we want to do, because saving the money on APs is huge for us.

Yes, if you sell the direct contract, you lose the perks.

EDit to add...just saw the other reply and I believe yes, depending on when you purchased the resale contract you may be grandfathered in!

As mentioned, it depends on when the resale was purchased. If bought before the March 2011 changes then it's fully grandfathered in and you'll have all benefits and perks still. If it was bought between the March 2011 change and the April 2016 change then you will lose access to the Disney collection (including access to the member cruise even if paying cash) but you'll still have all other benefits such as AP discounts and food/merchandise discounts as well as access to Moonlight Magic's and Epcot lounge. If the resale was purchased after the April 2016 change then you'll no longer have any qualified points and will lose the AP discount, member event access, Epcot lounge access etc.

outside of 10% discounts at some Restaurants and retail stores what perks do members get besides the points and what’s mentioned? I have been a member for a while and maybe i’m missing something but that 10% discount in most cases could be had using a disney Visa. Thanks

outside of 10% discounts at some Restaurants and retail stores what perks do members get besides the points and what’s mentioned? I have been a member for a while and maybe i’m missing something but that 10% discount in most cases could be had using a disney Visa. Thanks

The discount on the annual passes is the one most people go for.

It's all the membership extras which is quite a length list. Many of them can be gotten with other qualifiers though as you mention - such as the Disney Visa or by being a Passholder. The member lounges, member events, member cruise are the main ones that you can't get any other way - well, you could if you knew a qualified member who would take you I guess. :) Qualifying to buy the Gold AP is the biggest financial saver and you'd otherwise have to be a Florida resident to qualify for that one.

The Disney Visa discount is not nearly as many places and has other limitations in some cases. Like for shopping it usually requires a $50 - $75 minimum purchase, etc.

Here's a pretty good list of the dining comparisons....

http://www.allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Took a first DVC "quick trip" in Feb and certainly didn't plan around discounts, but asked wherever I went if a DVisa or DVC discount was available and was pleasantly surprised at how much $ we saved in only 3 days. We have had the Disney Visa for years (charter member) and hadn't activated our APs yet, so I know most of the savings came from strictly the DVC discount.

And here's the official link for all the benefits....

https://disneyvacationclub.disney.go.com/discounts-perks-offers/member-events/

Honestly, we are at a point where we are looking to do "extras" on our trips. So, things like tour discounts, members only nights at Splitsville, Moonlight Magic events, discounts on party / after hours tickets, etc. are very attractive to us.

Last edited:
It's all the membership extras which is quite a length list. Many of them can be gotten with other qualifiers though as you mention - such as the Disney Visa or by being a Passholder. The member lounges, member events, member cruise are the main ones that you can't get any other way - well, you could if you knew a qualified member who would take you I guess. :) Qualifying to buy the Gold AP is the biggest financial saver and you'd otherwise have to be a Florida resident to qualify for that one.

i forgot about the lounges and the moon light magic, thanks. Def a cool perk

The Disney Visa discount is not nearly as many places and has other limitations in some cases. Like for shopping it usually requires a $50 - $75 minimum purchase, etc.

Here's a pretty good list of the dining comparisons....

http://www.allears.net/pl/disc_dining.pdf

Took a first DVC "quick trip" in Feb and certainly didn't plan around discounts, but asked wherever I went if a DVisa or DVC discount was available and was pleasantly surprised at how much $ we saved in only 3 days. We have had the Disney Visa for years (charter member) and hadn't activated our APs yet, so I know most of the savings came from strictly the DVC discount.

thanks i’m
going to check out the link now. We ask all the time too if there’s a dvc or dvisa discount ... if you don’t ask how else to know :-)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter