• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Selling and Repurchasing

SpaceMountain77

Kidani Villager Victorian Gentleman Turtle Trekker
Throughout the discussion boards, posters often emphasize the importance of selecting a home resort in the location one intends to vacation. Vero Beach, for example, would not be an appropriate selection for someone who intends to vacation at the Disneyland Resort on a yearly basis. Moreover, a Saratoga Springs purchase would not be appropriate for someone hoping to vacation annually for a week at Disney's Beach Club Villas during Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. It is the "pay where you want to stay" adage.

Out of curiosity, has anyone sold their contract(s)/point(s) for one resort and purchased elsewhere as vacationing situations changed?

I realize it is common to add-on, but dues and too many points can be an issue for some.

I for one have done that, when we purchased a few years ago I wanted 320 (based on our travel habits) BLT but at the time we just got back from DL and some how we got talked into 160 BLT and 160 GCV. After about 2 years I realized it was crazy to have points in Calif. when I know we will only get there at most once every 5 years so we decided to sell and buy SSR points for the THV. We were actually able to get 290 points in 2 contracts for a similar price as selling. We bought GCV at 97.00PP and sold at 95.00PP using 3 years of points so it felt like a wash and most important we got more points!

Since then (last month) we decided to sell the smaller 130 SSR contract to buy some points at BWV since DD's are not thrilled with staying at the THV's (bunk beds). Once again it was not a bad deal since we bought SSR at 59.00PP and it came with 3 years of points, rented expiring points and used 3 years of points which brought our purchase price down to 49.00PP after renting. We sold that contract for 63.00PP with no points until Oct.

After using the system for a few years I realize I am a planner and I want to stay where I want to stay which needs the 11 month window. We are keeping the 160 SSR points for now to use for trips that maybe booked under 7 months or to add a few days onto other trips to BLT or BWV.

Still trying to get a BWV contract through ROFR but it will happen eventually.

We are in the process of selling our SSR contract - we just never end up staying there. Bought it for the THV, but decided that the queen in the master bedroom is a dealbreaker for us. We are selling the contract for $7 less than we purchased it for about 5 years ago, and have had such fun using all of those points over the years.

I think we will end up buying a BWV contract to complement our BCV, VWL and OKW contracts. We are in no hurry to repurchase - we will wait for the market to cool down some.

We sold 175pts at the BWV to buy 270pts at HHI last Summer.

We first bought a BWV resale a few years ago, we had not stayed there but we did a lot of online research and had been to the boardwalk area. We found it to be the best choice as far as price, location, low pt SV rooms.
Then we stayed at OKW for a last minute trip. We all loved it. Soon after that trip we found out we were expecting baby #3 and decided to do a 100pt add on at OKW. So glad we bought when we did, I don't think our contract would have made it through ROFR right now.
We stayed at the BWV and enjoyed it, but no wow factor like at OKW.
Then we stayed for a long weekend at HHI. I had seriously considered HHI when we looked for our first contract, it is less than 3hrs from our home and I knew it could be an easy weekend get away. But I resisted knowing we wanted to use our pts at WDW and of course the high MFs. Well, after staying for a weekend we realized we would really like to take yearly summer trips to HHI in addition to a WDW trip at OKW. Resale HHI contracts were going for a good bit less than BWV contracts. I did some math and we decided to sell BWV and buy HHI. We did pay more than we sold for BUT, we thought of it as getting an extra 95pts for $31/pt ;) It took around 5months from listing the BWVpts to having pts available at HHI. Maybe Disney was wise to us, the first contract we tried for was closer price wise to an even swap but it didn't make it through ROFR.

Throughout the discussion boards, posters often emphasize the importance of selecting a home resort in the location one intends to vacation. Vero Beach, for example, would not be an appropriate selection for someone who intends to vacation at the Disneyland Resort on a yearly basis. Moreover, a Saratoga Springs purchase would not be appropriate for someone hoping to vacation annually for a week at Disney's Beach Club Villas during Epcot's Food & Wine Festival. It is the "pay where you want to stay" adage.

Out of curiosity, has anyone sold their contract(s)/point(s) for one resort and purchased elsewhere as vacationing situations changed?

I realize it is common to add-on, but dues and too many points can be an issue for some.

Yep. I own at BLT and BWV for the 11 month windows. But I found myself booking a lot of last minute stays, and I felt that SSR points were the best way to do that (longer expiration, lower cost and lower maintenance fees). So I sold one of my BWV contracts for a SSR contract. Given the recent market changes I actually came out ahead in terms of cash flow, or else I probably wouldn't have done it.

That being said, I think it's a bit of a moving target and one can drive themselves crazy trying to optimize every aspect of their DVC ownership. There are just too many variables.

I bought 250 SSR points in 2004 because I wanted to be near DTD for The Comedy Club and Adventurer Clubs and resturants. No grand children or other family with little one's at that time. Well DTD ended up being a bust so sold SSR and the little one's came along so I purchased AKV for the fabulous GV at Jambo House and the animals. Then BLT came along. So i purchased BLT for Magic Kingdom. All along though I had been booking BWV when it was just my daughter and gal pals going with me. Everyone feel in love with BWV. So now I also own points at BWV. In January I plan to sell my AKV points and purchase more BWV. We loved AKV at first but it just really hasn't been the best fit all around for us. We spend way more time at Epcot and The Studio's and rarely Animal Kingdom if not at all during adults only visit. I am the only adult in the group on a adults only trip that looks forward to The Magic Kingdom:rotfl2::rotfl2: I will be at The Beach Club Villa's for the first time this Wednesday. I think my family is a little worried:laughing:

Switching out resorts used to be more common than it probably is today. When there was only a small difference between direct and resale, you could do it pretty readily as long as you were willing to take a small hit on the per point price + the 10% commission. For some, a 20-25% loss was acceptable to get what they wanted the second time around.

Today, if you buy direct, you'd better get it right the first time because you are going to take a real bath if you sell a few years down the road.

Today, if you buy direct, you'd better get it right the first time because you are going to take a real bath if you sell a few years down the road.

This is also a compelling reason to take a good hard look resale contracts if you are thinking about buying in. If you are compelled to sell, best to mitigate your potential losses. Few people buy in with the thought that things could happen to force a sale though.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards App, please excuse any typos or autocorrects!

You're going to pay a significant amount for this exchange. 10% of the sales price plus likely some closing costs up front and some additional closing costs on the new purchase. Unless you want to downsize either from more to less points and/or from a more expensive to a less expensive option, it's generally better to just do an add on rather than selling and buying new.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter