Selling add on points.

Turn the Page

DIS Veteran
I understand the basics of selling contracts. Can't split points off a larger contract to sell, etc.

If I buy 150 pts direct then later add on 50 pts same use year, home resort, everything can I still sell the 50 pts later on or is it now one large 200 pt contract?

They would be two separate contracts 150 and 50. So you could sell them separately.

I think you can even get dvc to sell you 150 pts in one transaction as 2 or 3 separate contracts to make them easier to sell later. Somebody correct me if this is not true.

You could sell either the 150 or the 50. Just understand that if you reduce your membership below the minimum for blue card when you bought, you’d lose those benefits.

Right now, it requires 100 points. If you sell the 150, you’d fall below that with only the 50.

I think you can even get dvc to sell you 150 pts in one transaction as 2 or 3 separate contracts to make them easier to sell later. Somebody correct me if this is not true.

Yes they will sell smaller contracts but you pay additional closings

As I mentioned above, you’d want to be sure that you always maintain the minimum when you bought so you don’t lose blue card benefits if important.

I believe their minimum point add-on contract size starts at 25pts and that anything under 50pts has to be cash (credit card too)/they won't finance.
If you look on resale sites, anything under 100pts typically goes pretty quickly and anything under 50pts even faster. Add on the fact that the lower the contract point total, the higher rate per point they are selling for. This will also allow for smaller adjustments if you aren't using the same amount of points down the road and want to "downsize" a bit.
While there may be an additional closing cost (not sure the exact rate though) I believe I'd be more inclined to add a couple smaller contracts ([2] 25pointers) knowing they'd potentially more desirable and valued more per point if I sold for any reason later on.

Last edited:
Does anyone know approximately what the closing costs would be on an add-on direct contract of between 30-50 points?

Thank you...greatly appreciated! :)
Welcome! I happened to grab a 30-point direct AKV earlier this year and a 50-point RIV along with my CCV FWs during the summer promotion, so I happened to have those direct closing costs on hand. I just want to double check the 50 point though. My spreadsheet indicates it’s actually $372.10, but I had 65-point priced from before that showed $405 closing, and it just seems weird to me that 30 to 50 to 65 isn’t more of a linear increase. Maybe there’s some kind of bump over different increments?

Welcome! I happened to grab a 30-point direct AKV earlier this year and a 50-point RIV along with my CCV FWs during the summer promotion, so I happened to have those direct closing costs on hand. I just want to double check the 50 point though. My spreadsheet indicates it’s actually $372.10, but I had 65-point priced from before that showed $405 closing, and it just seems weird to me that 30 to 50 to 65 isn’t more of a linear increase. Maybe there’s some kind of bump over different increments?
I made an offer on a 50-point resale yesterday listed for $145 and I offered $120 they countered at $143...we will pass on that one and probably purchase a 30-point direct at the end of the year unless they increase the price. Congrats on your purchases :)...we are looking to try and book for December 2021 and take some family with us.

Good morning, quick question, if we purchased 30-point direct add-on now vs. January 2021 and we were able to get 2020 points, when would we have to maintenance fees on them?

Good morning, quick question, if we purchased 30-point direct add-on now vs. January 2021 and we were able to get 2020 points, when would we have to maintenance fees on them?
MFs are based on calendar year not UY. If you were to add on now, you’d pay prorated fees for the remaining 2 1/2 months of the year, and then owe 2021 MFs in January.

MFs are based on calendar year not UY. If you were to add on now, you’d pay prorated fees for the remaining 2 1/2 months of the year, and then owe 2021 MFs in January.
I was wondering who your agent is when you've bought direct. The last time we purchased direct was back in 2009 and we don't even remember who our agent was.

I was wondering who your agent is when you've bought direct. The last time we purchased direct was back in 2009 and we don't even remember who our agent was.

If you’re looking for a new guide, I highly recommend Kathy Rader. I’ve been buying from her for a few years and it’s always such a pleasure to work with her.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter