Seeking onsite universal resort for couples trip

pinnocchiosdad

DIS Veteran
Each February my wife and I and another couple travel to Disney World. Next year we want to try staying on property at Universal. We are all in our 50’s. Any recommendations for an on-site resort?

I would agree with Portofino Bay if everyone is able-bodied. Its the longest walk of the three deluxe resorts. The water taxi is available, but I know we always prefer to walk and like Hard Rock Hotel for that reason.

I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend Hard Rock Hotel. DH and I stayed there with my parents, in their late 60s, last year and they enjoyed it. They are lively party types so they liked the atmosphere, and my dad took an hour to walk the hotel and check out all the music memorabilia around, as he's a big music fan.

I`ll go against the grain and recommend the RP or Sapphire Falls...…

Sapphire doesn't offer EP if that was a requirement for your stay, but its a gorgeous hotel and walkable as well as a short boat ride away.

RPR is our choice, we`re in our 50`s too and find it to be prefect for us as it`s never too rowdy or loud.....distance from parks.....5-7 minute walk to IOA and the restaurant choices we love. Same with Sapphire....we feel very spoiled at either resort.

Portofino would be my third choice......very beautiful too but offers my least favourite food options.

Have you checked out the stickies in this board? All the hotels have them with some pictures of them all, see if any of the themes appeals more to you......

I've stayed at Royal Pacific several times and it's my favorite ( although I have always wanted to try Portofino ). I love the tropical theme and the general lay out of the resort. Good dining options and the pool is a nice size with a pool bar area. The rooms were a nice size ( bigger than Disney moderate resorts and about the same size as the deluxe resorts ). The walk to City Walk is also a nice, easy scroll.

We prefer the Portofino.

Might be a longer walk, but we are never in so much of a hurry that we can't take the water taxi.

I refuse to walk to my hotel when staying onsite @ Universal. No need to commando there is a big plus. Find the boats charming unto themselves and whole process doesn’t take more than 20 min or so even if you just miss a boat.

If you don’t care about having FOTL perk or on a budget: SF, has a modern but well done, understated Caribbean vibe

If interested in less kids about & enough room to roam to find an especially quiet spot at the pool: PBH, they have 2 in addition to the main pool that has a water slide. It is normally quiet though in the am hours.

HRH is nice for couples but can get lively and loud

RPH is usually where we land as it tends to offer best price for FOTL. Liked the Balinese theming before the last two updates but it’s still a lovely property. Will be interesting to see how it changes with the lobby rennovation that is upcoming. Only one pool there, we find it can get a bit ‘tight’ as the afternoon progresses.

One nice thing re the pool situation is you are welcome to pool hop. Really cannot go wrong

DH is in his mid 50's and I am in my late 40's. We love HRH. It's so close to the parks, 5min walk to US. 8min to IoA. We like the vibe at HRH it's fun, great people watching and good food options.

Portofino was our 1st stay at US and it is a gorgeous resort. For us it was too quiet, too far and limited food options for us. We ended up taking a rick-shaw most of the time, they work on tips.

We stay at HRH now each year and have never found it to be too loud. The Pool is lively and we have met some wonderful people there. There are also great Cabana's as well. We will usually get one on arrival day, as we get into Orlando around noon and our room is never ready until around 4PM.

Hi I would pick Portofino as well. We stayed there this summer and found it quiet for a resort. There were not as many families as some others. However, with that being said I really don't think you can go wrong with any of the resorts. All three deluxe hotels are nice if you want the express pass. I have heard wonderful things about Sapphire Falls. The only thing that stops us from there is the express pass. We go in a busy time of the year.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter