Seeking: Kid-friendly vacation town reccs for NH, VT, or ME

aristocatz

DIS Veteran
Trying to plan a week's long vacation for me, DH, DD5, & DD3 to either NH, VT, or ME.

We are looking to rent a cabin or house.

Seeking an area that is laid back and relaxed, fun things for little ones to do (ie. ice cream, lake, boating, mini-golf, etc...) & adults to enjoy (ie. lobster rolls, pretty surroundings, brewery, etc..)

Any towns in the above states that you would recommend??

Thanks!

There really isnt many vacation spots that an adult and a kid would love for a whole week, this is why WDW gets away with these prices, if some billionaire is looking for a good deal, come up with something

Queechee vt seems to be super popular. There’s a river/lake, golf course. Then lots of things in white river and Lebanon. If you do end up there make sure to get fore u ice cream and that is a mini golf place too. Also Hanover has more adult type bars and shopping. Norwich has a science museum and Woodstock as a working farm.

Jackson, Glen or Bartlett Nh. Close to Storyland and Santa’s Vilage for the kids. Lots of restaurants nearby and more options in North Conway. Lots of ski areas that have tons for the kids to do, Cranmore & Attitash are great. Beautiful river/swimming hole in the center of Jackson. Diana’s Bath waterfall to hike to and Echo Lake for swimming.

Also love Ogunquit in Maine.

Last edited:
If you are interested in a more resort place with activities that has cabins look at Pointe Sebago in Maine. It has activities but you can pick and choose what you want to do.

We haven't spent a whole week in any of those states, it's not so easy to get from hotel/resort to different spots.

We stayed in Brattleboro and went to Bromley one day, that was FUN!!! Well except the ropes course, dh and I are not so balance worthy! Before we leave, we drive north a bit to the Vermont Country Store and spend $100 on stuff we don't need! On the way back home we go to Yankee Candle as it's only about an hour from Brattleboro. On the way to Bromley there was a river and it was beautiful! If we had time we would of got out and explored it some more.

I am itching to go up to Stowe but for a few days but the drive is holding me back.

NH-we only ate dinner at some mall at some mexican place that my dh likes. So I am not much help there. OH wait, we hung out somewhere, see below and we went to a light house that we had to walk between the lines as it was on some kind of military base or some privately owned place.

ME, we have only been 3 times. Twice were disasters! First time we were planning on spending the night there and shopping for 2 days. DH, then boyfriend, his car broke down just as we got off the exit. So we sat in a repair shop waiting for AAA to get us, we got towed to a place in NH and then the next day towed to CT. So we saw and did nothing. Next trip our dd was about 6 weeks old and dh had a car show in Old Orchard Beach. Again we didn't do much because it was the car show but I would of loved to walk the beach and feel that cold ME water in early summer. Last trip was only a few years ago when we were doing day trips thru NE. We drove up, stopped at some store in Kittery, dh went to start the car and noticed some thing was leaking...water?? So the only nearby water was at Starbucks and for me to step in there was torture, no I don't want your crappy coffee. $20 later in water, 4 bottles, he filled up the car but realized he needed more so he walked about 1/4 mile (it was hot) to the gas station and got a few gallons, I think a kid went with him. Then we drove to NH to a dealer and about 4 hours later the car was fixed. That put a damper on my driving up the coast as far as we can to see lighthouses. But we did go to the one above, the Portsmouth one. And the only other one we went to was the Nubble and he was done as it was nearly 4 and our hotel was in Mass for the night. Needless to say Maine and Niagara Falls (he has got 2 tickets in buffalo) are not in our sights ever.

I would start scoping out places and then see what is nearby/close by/easy drive to.

Jackson, Glen or Bartlett Nh. Close to Storyland and Santa’s Vilage for the kids. Lots of restaurants nearby and more options in North Conway. Lots of ski areas that have tons for the kids to do, Cranmore & Attitash are great. Beautiful river/swimming hole in the center of Jackson. Diana’s Bath waterfall to hike to and Echo Lake for swimming.

Also love Ogunquit in Maine.

Here's another vote for the Jackson/Glen/North Conway area.

Another option would be the Lakes Region. Weirs Beach, Mt. Washington boat tour, hike the Flume (very easy hike), Lots to see/do there and you can do a day trip to Story Land, Santa's Village or Clark's Trading Post (all of which my kids loved when they were younger). Here are some other good ideas: http://www.lakewinnipesaukee.info/things-to-do/10-bestbets

White Mountains/North Conway area is great with those ages. Santa's Village, StoryLand, Clark's Trading Post, Cog Railway, Lost River Gorge...the list is endless. I'm sure lots of places are booked already, but if you're flexible I'm sure you can find something. Seasons at Attitash has great condos, and there still seems some availability, like this one: https://www.vrbo.com/774920 There's an indoor pool, which is nice if there's some yucky weather. Lots of great restaurants, you can go to Lakes Region and spend some time there too.

One of our all-time favorite family vacations was to Mount Desert Island/Acadia/Bar Harbor when the kids were 3 and 6. It was beautiful, relaxing, and just an enormous amount of fun.
Acadia National Park has a lot of trails and activities that are accessible for little kids, and some great kid-friendly ranger programs. (My kids were *thrilled* to earn the Junior Ranger patch, and they made it interesting even for the 3 year old.)
Diver Ed's Dive in Theater was fascinating and so much fun: https://www.divered.com/ (Make sure to do the family cruise, not the adult/NPS cruise)
Bar Harbor had a bunch of delicious restaurants and hands-down the best ice cream I have ever eaten in my life.

We stayed in the cabins at the KOA Bar Harbor Oceanside campground:
https://koa.com/campgrounds/bar-harbor-oceanside/

My family loves the White Mountain area. I agree with the posters that said Conway/Jackson area. With the ages of your kids there are so many things to do. Storyland, Santa's Village, Conway scenic railroad, Echo Lake. Lots of mini golf, restaurants, hotels, condos. The Kangamangus Highway (probably very bad spelling and I've been on it tons of times haha) is beautiful with lots of hiking trails, some very easy. The highway connects to Lincoln NH where there is Clark's Trading Post, another family friendly attraction that has a great bear show. When our kids were little there was the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln too. We spent at least a week every summer in the Jackson area when our kids were young. Loved it!

New Hampshire, Vermont and Maine are all beautiful areas. You can't go wrong anywhere. Wherever you go I hope you all have a wonderful vacation!

Last edited:
White Mountains/North Conway area is great with those ages. Santa's Village, StoryLand, Clark's Trading Post, Cog Railway, Lost River Gorge...the list is endless. I'm sure lots of places are booked already, but if you're flexible I'm sure you can find something. Seasons at Attitash has great condos, and there still seems some availability, like this one: https://www.vrbo.com/774920 There's an indoor pool, which is nice if there's some yucky weather. Lots of great restaurants, you can go to Lakes Region and spend some time there too.

I was going to say that my Dad used to take us camping up in New Hampshire, and the nearby town was North Conway (we were coming from RI). Anyway, we would camp along the Saco river and go rafting or canoeing and hike. There was one of those mini-bobsled track things (alpine slide?) we would do, and some mini-golf, etc. I think we did Lost River Gorge. Is that the one with the "lemon squeeze" which was a very tight opening in one of the caves that you had to get through (didn't think my dad was gonna make it!). We also would go see "the old man in the mountain" but I guess he's gone now. This was all many, many years ago (in the 80's). Anyway, I just remember getting a t-shirt that said North Conway on it and having to explain toe everyone down here where it was. Anyway, it's a nice area if I recall correctly.

i would say find a place to rent in southern Maine/ new Hampshire and make it your "home base" from there you can drive 30 min and take the T down to Boston for a day (or few) the Aquarimum is awsome, theres a lego land down there, every kid LOVES doing the Duck boats. The public garden is a must do if only to see the "Make Way for Ducklings" statues and the swan boats. You can hit the beaches, York, (pre-revolutionary war history and a pretty decent beach, plus a small zoo/amusement park called Yorks Wild Kingdom and Goldenrod that is old school salt water taffy) Oguniquit a little north that has a good playhouse (best beach but very busy) Kennebunk is a little more north (very small town new england and the Bush Compound is there) or you can go south to Rye NH on rt 1A (which has lots of sea glass and a less crowded beach but is less sand more tiny pebbles) Downtown Portsmouth NH hiss very quaint and the Seacoast Rep Theater is welcome, there are quite a few small boutique type stores and lots off nice resturants (We get our lobster there(, its cheaper) All are within a 45 minute drive of Kittery ME/Portsmouth NH. Kittery also has "the outlets" and Bobs Clam hut which are both a huge draw. Bobs has been there forever and serves some of the best fried clam strips around the outlets have just about every clothing store you can imagne and The Kittery Trading Post which has been there since 70's and sells everything outdoor and Maine, From there if you want mountains and quiet the White Moutians of NH are an hour or so west. There are plenty of hiking camping spots. If you want to drive a couple of hours north to Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park is there which is by far one of the most breathtaking places ive ever been (it beats the Grand Canyon) and there is a direct ferry to Nova Scotia that only take an hour or so to get to, There is also Freeport which is home to LL. Bean and some more outlets thats only 39 min north of Portland.
My husband and I live in Charlotte Nc but met in Maine and go back as often as we can with our kids, yeah theres family there but there is such a verity of things to do in the 10 days we will be there we will be going camping for 3 days, going to the beach a few, hit Boston (duck tour, garden, fenway, and the aquarium), then we will hit Nova Scotia for a day, and probably swin by Rhode Island to on the way out.
The best plan is to find a central home base and build from there.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter