• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

See? DVC wants us to use Member Getaways

shantay1008

Mouseketeer
First of all, I apologize to our webmaster because I'm not sure where this should be posted. :blush:

So I got the new Member Getaways packet in the mail and was practically salivating looking at all the great places to go around the world. I know it's a big debate on here about whether or not these getaways are a good use of points, but it's so tempting.

And it just makes me wish that DVC would do something to make this an economically healthy, sensible part of the program. I mean, they're definitely dangling the carrot in front of our noses, aren't they?

A girl can dream....

I think the one bedroom option to trade through Interval is pretty decent (depending on what resort you get offered for an exchange). I would take a Westin Kaanapali Villas 1 bedroom on Maui in a heartbeat for 160 DVC points. Even a studio there would be nice. They have jucuzzi tubs and a nice sitting area.

A good rule of thumb would be to find out how much a cash rate would be for what Interval offers you for trade.

You keep posting about this, what are you looking for? ... Yes, Disney wants you to use the points and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING THEM FOR THOSE THINGS.

Personally I think the Adventures by DVC are WAY overpriced on a cash basis so I am not surprised the point basis is HIGH. I can do a month in Italy for the cost of the program there for example.

I know this sounds rude, but they are YOUR points. Just because the "experts" here don't think it's "economically healthy" proves NOTHING!!!!! You are letting others decide what you should do and then blaming Disney. Disney is doing nothing wrong!

Recently, on the Wonder, I went to a DVC meeting (I just thought I'd toss out that I'd been on the Wonder). I definitely got the sense that they were pushing some of the Interval exchanges. I think it's a win-win for Disney. I haven't done it yet, but I probably will in the future. Still, a carrot is a good idea.
I'd even take a lesser root vegetable.

OH.... the carrots dangeling.....

My carrot has an Italian flavor sitting on a plate in Rome at one of those lil outdoor street cafes. A girl dreaming? :cloud9: Of course we do. DVC paves the paths we just have to decide which one we can do or work towards. Points, Points, Points :teacher:

:thumbsup2 Dreaming is what is all about. Remember, with Disney, someday our dreams will come pixiedust: true, that is the disclaimer, right? ;) jokin'

Someday girls, someday.... Anyways, till that day, the far off land thought, has made me smile. :wizard: Thanks~

~DW ::MinnieMo

CarolA said:
You keep posting about this, what are you looking for? ... Yes, Disney wants you to use the points and THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH USING THEM FOR THOSE THINGS.

Personally I think the Adventures by DVC are WAY overpriced on a cash basis so I am not surprised the point basis is HIGH. I can do a month in Italy for the cost of the program there for example.

I know this sounds rude, but they are YOUR points. Just because the "experts" here don't think it's "economically healthy" proves NOTHING!!!!! You are letting others decide what you should do and then blaming Disney. Disney is doing nothing wrong!
Wow, I haven't gotten yelled at like this since I was about ten. I'm sorry I've irritated you with my two posts on the subject.

I guess I'm just disappointed that something that is touted as such a great feature of buying into DVC has been shown to be a bad value. I know that some people say they don't care if they lose money on the deal because they like the convenience of using points for the concierge collection, etc., but I would much rather it just be a good deal, or at least not feel like I'm throwing money away like an idiot.

I promise I won't bring it up again, and will continue to use my points in the way that best suits my family.

Actually, I did a comparison of the Grand Hotel at Macinac Island using points vs. paying cash and it is a much better deal using points. It is about 40 points a night for two people (and includes breakfast and dinner). This works out to about 400. a night in points equivalent. The posted rate on the hotel's website is about is about 350. per person! So...there are deals to be had!

Also, our guide told us that the points for II were sometimes a better deal than Disney when you consider those are 7 day rentals. If you look at the point guide, many of these hotels are about 160 points or so for a week-including week-ends. We planned a five day trip to WDW using points and it works out to about the same in a two-bedroom. Now the II are usually studios/one-bedrooms, but in some cases, a room's a room!

note- We haven't tested these theories yet, so I may eat my words some time. However, while we love WDW, there is a bigger world out there..and we want to see it! This is one of the reasons why we joined DVC. Once the intial investment is paid off, I won't be so concerned about how frugal I am with my points. A "free" week a year in some exotic local works for me!

Emma's Mom, those are great points. II is offered in the DVC package and it seems wonderful that members actually look into the world outside the WDW world if only for that week sometime in the future.

Shantay thanks for bringing up the topic. It's never discussed to any extent here that I've seen (if I'm incorrect on this observation, my apologies) It is part of our deal, however and whenever any of us can use it. It was a big deal to us when we purchased.

We want to see Italy and Africa when are kids are grown and taking their little ones to WDW paving their own memorey lanes with Mickey!

Not to ruffle feathers, but why not discuss it? Rationally discussing pros and cons are healthy for the mind. What would WALT do?
It's a product listed within the DVC dream books(points manuel)? Again, dreaming is good for a soul!

~DW

I've been curious about the members getaways too. I don't really care what gives me the best "value", I've "paid" for my vacation already, might as well take it! :)

That's exactly the point :thumbsup2 ... II is another vehicle of sorts to take us on those far off exciting places.
I would love to hear from other members who have taken advantage of this branch of vacationing.

Curiosity killed the :cat: (I hope not) ,........... but, with larger point package get a ways, do people go one on points, the other cash like a lot of DCL :boat: folks do?

Again, this topic is a great one, IMHO! :wave: Hope those who 've gone before us newer members weigh in!

~DW ::MinnieMo

I guess I can understand where some of the naysayers are coming from. For me however, it's a matter of cost containment. We want to be able to take quality vacations every year and having the option to trade for non-Disney vacations is a real plus. Will we do it every year? No. But it's certainly nice to have as an option. I for one don't put much value in what a lot of these folks on the boards say. Many of these folks don't have a good vacation unless they are in a specific resort, on a certain day, in a certain room number, the sun and moon are aligned just right.......anyhoo, I think you get my point.

shantay1008 said:
Wow, I haven't gotten yelled at like this since I was about ten. I'm sorry I've irritated you with my two posts on the subject.

I guess I'm just disappointed that something that is touted as such a great feature of buying into DVC has been shown to be a bad value. I know that some people say they don't care if they lose money on the deal because they like the convenience of using points for the concierge collection, etc., but I would much rather it just be a good deal, or at least not feel like I'm throwing money away like an idiot.

I promise I won't bring it up again, and will continue to use my points in the way that best suits my family.

Value is in the eye of the beholder. What I think Carol means is that it doesn't mater if posters here think it is a good value or not. When the time comes that I tire of WDW, VB or HH I will use the exchanges and CC. Guess what, I won't be here looking for approval. They are my points to use how I see fit.

gammieatwdw said:
Value is in the eye of the beholder. What I think Carol means is that it doesn't mater if posters here think it is a good value or not. When the time comes that I tire of WDW, VB or HH I will use the exchanges and CC. Guess what, I won't be here looking for approval. They are my points to use how I see fit.
Thanks, I know you're right. I think part of it, too, is that a lot of people come on the boards and ask if it makes sense for them to join DVC if they plan to use the member getaways. There are always responses that say to only use DVC points to stay at DVC resorts. So you kind of wonder... But then again, I've read lots of posts where people have had great experiences with exchanges.

For us, our kids are 1, 3, 5, and 7, so even traveling to WDW every other year, as we're planning, by the time they head off to college, we'll have more than gotten our money's worth out of DVC. And then there'll be a few years of squeezing in conciege collection trips with just the two of us before the grandchildren come and we're back at WDW for Round Two. ;)

Now I'm going to get my coffee and round up the kids to explore our new Member Getaway booklet some more.
Shannon

I enjoy having the option. I don't know if I would use the concierge collection, maybe, but I would be more interested in II because we would do one bedrooms and 160 points during the most expensive isn't that bad.

There may be some years that we don't want to go to Disney (gasp), it happens I am sure, or we want to try something else and give us a Disney break for a year so it will still seem exciting and fun.

Its a nice option to have.

I am using my points this year to stay at the Contemporary, I didn't rent them and pay the cash - could have stayed longer if I did but oh well. My points and its nice knowing I won't have a bill :)

I dont think there are naysayers just simple number crunchers.

It's like buying a Ferrari to deliver pizzas in. There are better options out there in the timeshare world to trade and stay elsewhere. DVC owners are paying a premium and when you trade out, the tradee is getting the better end of the deal. I dont think that is bad advice or negative, its the truth.

And DVC's main mission in life is to get its members to trade out more. I think on the member cruise, Jim Lewis quoted a very small number of members trade out to go elsewhere. They were really pushing exchanges and the new destinations added to the CC.

That said, I do believe that one should do whatever they wish with their points and DVC does make it easy. I like having the options, and we may consider doing a II trade here locally for 160 points. But if I can pay cash and get it cheaper than 160 points I will consider that also. The trading options add value to our membership and Im glad we have the option and I agree, that once the points are paid for, it is easier to look at trading more favorably.

LIFERBABE said:
I dont think there are naysayers just simple number crunchers.

It's like buying a Ferrari to deliver pizzas in. There are better options out there in the timeshare world to trade and stay elsewhere. DVC owners are paying a premium and when you trade out, the tradee is getting the better end of the deal. I dont think that is bad advice or negative, its the truth.

And DVC's main mission in life is to get its members to trade out more. I think on the member cruise, Jim Lewis quoted a very small number of members trade out to go elsewhere. They were really pushing exchanges and the new destinations added to the CC.

That said, I do believe that one should do whatever they wish with their points and DVC does make it easy. I like having the options, and we may consider doing a II trade here locally for 160 points. But if I can pay cash and get it cheaper than 160 points I will consider that also. The trading options add value to our membership and Im glad we have the option and I agree, that once the points are paid for, it is easier to look at trading more favorably.

Hi, LiferBabe,
Sorry if this is a really obvious question, but why does DVC want to trade out so much? Do they make money on exchanges or something?

I agree with you about it being a great option to have, and that when the points are paid for, the dollars involved become less important!
Shannon

I am a real fan of these different options and plan to use them every year and go to WDW. Like Susan said I feel I have already paid for it.

We have already used points for Disneyland Paris and an II exchange to Devon in UK in our school holidays. So it only cost the price of a car journey for us (and ferry to France).

This year we are taking two other families with us to SSR and BCV and next year we hope to do a cruise. If I was worried about wasting my money like a fool I wouldn't be paying the absolute fortune that our UK airlines charge us to fly to Orlando during our school holidays!!!

I am looking forward to all the new opportunities and travelling the world for the next 48 years!

P.S. I don't see the harm in threads discussing this subject as many times as people are prepared to reply, so please don't stop as this is a favourite subject of mine.

Susan

LIFERBABE said:
the tradee is getting the better end of the deal.

Not flaming or trying to start an argument but I disagree with this statement.

Your idea of a good deal and my opinion of a good deal could be 2 different things.

As long as I get where I want to trade to and the accomendations are what I expected or better then I got a good deal.

For now Disney is our main objective but I do see us trading to other places.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter