• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Security at Sanford airport

crl

DIS Veteran
For various reasons, we have been able to avoid flying until this year. My kids are a little worried about what security will be like at the Sanford airport and I can't seem to find out what a typical screening is there. Do they have pat downs, just the old way with metal detectors or the new scans?

I don't know specifically for that airport, but you should know that a patdown is always something that *could* happen, so it's a good idea to let everyone know what to do and how to act if someone is asked to have a patdown. (or if they have the new scanners and you don't want to take part in them, which then will cause them to do a patdown instead...that said, I've noticed that the airports I've been through in the last year or so will not send a family to the new scanner line in the first place).

I personally have never had a bad experience with patdowns; it's always quick, to the point, and simple.

With the metal detectors it's important to not touch any part of them. So if your kids are little, make sure they know not to run through them, or brush against them.

Have a plan on what order to go through; we put DS in between us (though he's 8 now and an experienced traveler, so it's not as worrisome if he's ahead or behind us...but it still makes us feel better if he's between us when all 3 of us are traveling). We know what we have to take off and put in bins (kids under 12 don't have to take off shoes anymore). If we aren't totally sure, we ask (some airports have, or don't have, rules that other airports don't/do).

While I've been irked a few times with TSA (the one who ran a bag through the machine 5 times before finally asking if she could open a pocket, because she was confused by the pack of batteries in the pocket...the metal detector that apparently was cranked to "11" because it buzzed because of DH's shorts zipper and then my normal-sized Goody-brand barrette...the TSA people who were about to send me back to be checked out, while DH was already back there, and were forgetting about my then 3 year old standing there...), nothing has ever happened *to us* that has been traumatic, or not easily taken care of (lady behind me reminded me of my barrette, which solved that problem as well as the leaving 3 year old behind problem).

We get to the airport in PLENTY of time. We try hard to not rush. We make sure we have nothing in our bags that isn't supposed to be there. We smile. We let TSA people do their jobs (like the guy that was trying to restock the bins and no one was letting him in, while at the same time complaining that there were no bins...we let him in and he was so happy with us).

I hope that helps, even though it's not specific to Sanford.

Oh, and very important...if they are concerned by something in your bag, do NOT try to physically point out where to look, or *touch* your bag! Man do they hate that. I have a Rio MP3 player, looks NOTHING like an ipod or anything they are used to now, and it has caused concern more than once. Now I just *tell* them where it is and what it is...with my hands firmly at my sides. The first time I tried to get involved, and they got so scared and nervous it cured me of that need to physically show them where it was. :headache:

Are you flying Allegiant? If so, be advised that they have a policy of closing the ticket counter 40 minutes before flight time, even if there are 30 people standing in line waiting to check in. They did that several months ago at another airport and left a bunch of people stranded. I dropped my granddaughter off there once almost two hours before the flight and she was still standing in line at the ticket counter (and calling me frantically) 50 minutes before the flight but got on the flight OK. Sanford Orlando Airport is small and can get congested very quickly before a flight. Other than that, it's a delight to use (as far as anything concerned with flying can be considered a delight, that is....).

I really don't remember Sanford having anything out of the ordinary. The only time anyone in our group had to go through a patdown there was right after 9/11.....and everyone was being wanded and then a cursory patdown.
Hasn't happened since though. But, it can always happen...at any airport. So, best to prepare the kiddos.

Thanks for the helpful tips. Keep them coming! The last time I flew was when DS was 6 months old (he's now almost 7 yrs old). And we now have 3 kids to take through ages 9, almost 7 and 6 months. Our 6 month old will need to have bottles of water for her formula.

Yes, we are flying Allegiant, so we have to be at the ticket counter but not through security at that 40 minutes mark? We've prepurchased seats to be sure we are together, am I to understand we need to be at the gate ready to board early to ensure we actually get our seats?

Are you flying Allegiant? If so, be advised that they have a policy of closing the ticket counter 40 minutes before flight time, even if there are 30 people standing in line waiting to check in. They did that several months ago at another airport and left a bunch of people stranded. I dropped my granddaughter off there once almost two hours before the flight and she was still standing in line at the ticket counter (and calling me frantically) 50 minutes before the flight but got on the flight OK. Sanford Orlando Airport is small and can get congested very quickly before a flight. Other than that, it's a delight to use (as far as anything concerned with flying can be considered a delight, that is....).

Not sure about Allegiant but some small airlines use the agent at the ticket counter as the GA or as a person who helps load luggage on the plane. Allegiant tells passengers to check luggage at least an hour before their flight.

Sanford is a pretty small airport. That being said you need to be there on time. I would say at least two hours prior to flight. You need to be waiting at the gate to be called for your pre purchased seat assignment. i have flown with them a few times and if you are not there your seat can be gone. You will end up anywhere even if you have paid for a certain seat. I would suggest going on the TSA site and getting more answers about traveling with small children. I also took my son to the airport to watch what was going to happen before we flew so he could see how easy it was. He flies better then most now. Oh, make sure you have some fun too.

In all reality, Sanford is no different than any other airport...just smaller and more easily navigated. Be done at the checkin counter 90 mins prior to your departure time. That will give you plenty of time to go through security with the kids. There are no magic tips to help kids go through security. You can practice with them at home. They no longer have to remove their shoes. BUT...the one thing I see kids most upset about?? Having to put their 'lovies' through the scanner!!! They think the lovey' is never coming out again!!! So, practice that with them. Practice them going through the xray scanner by themselves..make it a game of freeze, so to speak.
If you make too big a deal about it all, the kids will think there is something to be concerned about, when there really isn't!!

Some people, not referring to posters in this thread, think they can cut corners with the posted be at airport be at gate times with flights on smaller airlines in smaller airports.

The opposite may be true. Small airlines need to pull their counter agents early so they can be load baggage or passengers on the flight. TSA should staff for the passenger volume. You can have security lines if there is only one line.

People need to check the suggested times on their airlines site. People who decide to allow less time run the risk of missing their flight.

we have been able to avoid flying until this year. My kids are a little worried about what security will be like at the Sanford airport

A 9 and 6 year old have never flown before, and they are a little worried about what security will be like at the Sanford airport?
Very wordly for having never flown before-wondering abou security and even knowing there is security.

A 9 and 6 year old have never flown before, and they are a little worried about what security will be like at the Sanford airport?
Very wordly for having never flown before-wondering abou security and even knowing there is security.

My daughter has flown before, she was 3 when DS was the 6 month old. And she remembers it well as we had 2 cross country moves that year. We also have lots of family and friends who fly (including her Dad) and so the kids know about going through security. Especially since DH has vetoed flying since the new scanners went into place since we've always had the option to drive instead. (Yes, he has issues with strange people seeing views of his family that are inappropriate. He works for the government and has seen images produced by those scanners and I trust his judgement.) Just because they haven't flown in quite awhile, doesn't mean they aren't informed kids.

My daughter has flown before, she was 3 when DS was the 6 month old. And she remembers it well as we had 2 cross country moves that year. We also have lots of family and friends who fly (including her Dad) and so the kids know about going through security. Especially since DH has vetoed flying since the new scanners went into place since we've always had the option to drive instead. (Yes, he has issues with strange people seeing views of his family that are inappropriate. He works for the government and has seen images produced by those scanners and I trust his judgement.) Just because they haven't flown in quite awhile, doesn't mean they aren't informed kids.

Gotcha. But your original post implied they have never flown before.

Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear in my original post.
I'm really just looking to find out if they use the new imaging scanners, pat downs or metal detectors for the average family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter