Security at LV Airport Easter Sunday

Dis Ohana

All your dreams can come true if you have the cour
I just read on Tripadvisor forum that someone took 4 hours to get through security - please tell me this isn't a normal occurrence. We're flying out of Mccarran Airport Sunday morning, do I really have to be there that early? I was thinking of being at the airport 2 hours prior to departure, it's what the airline suggested. Anyone fly out of that airport recently?

Also, I thought that I was planning for a slow period, am I wrong? How are the crowds on the strip around this time?

Thanks!

No, 4 hours is not the norm. The vast majority of time, having 2 hours will give you more time than you need and you'll be finding ways to kill time (but, hey, there are slot machines in McCarran!). It's just that Vegas is one of the airports that every now and then goes bonkers.

It's not something I'd worry about. If it happens, it happens and you may have to get moved to a later flight. But that can happen for any number of reason - most of which are more likely than some random security breakdown.

PS - If you are flying Southwest, there is a "secret" security gate. It was closed for a while, but is not being reopened during crunch times. If you get to the airport and things are crazy, ask somebody if it is open and how to get there (basically, you go back outside the terminal near where the Southwest Skycaps are, and walk down the road a bit.)

PS - Now that basketball is over, crowds are down a bit. But it's still spring break for some people and the opening of traditional pool season in Vegas (this year pool season opened early due to an unusually warm March.) It's be crowded, but not super crowded (by Vegas standards).

In the afternoon/evening this Sunday, you'd probably have some extra traffic, with people heading out of town after the Vegas Grand Prix, but in the morning it should be pretty normal.

Crowds on the strip shouldn't be bad this weekend, but Downtown will be buzzing with the race. The track literally surrounds the Freemont Street area. I'm heading out there myself on Thursday, just for the race. If you plan to go Downtown at all, check the Vegas Grand Prix website http://www.vegasgrandprix.com for traffic restrictions and parking suggestions.

Thanks for the replies, I feel so much better! You guys are the best :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter