Searching for new Digital Camera

MyLittlePiglet

DIS Veteran
Hey scrappers!

I have been/ am in the market for a new digital camera. Can anyone share the pros and cons of camera(s) they own or have owned? Thanks!!!

M

I have a Nikon Coolpix 3200. It takes very good photos, but ONLY if your subject is still. Photos with any kind of movement turn out poorly. My biggest complaint is shutter speed. It's way too slow for me and when I use the flash, several seconds have to pass and, generally, so does the shot.

I'm looking for something new, too...

I just bought my new cameras yesterday!!! :cool1: Yes I said cameras, based on great reviews on the DIS photography board, I bought the Canon S2 for $399.00 and since it is a little big, I picked up the Canon A530 Powershot! This one was $199.00. Both are 5.0 Megapixels and the S2 is a 12 optical zoom and the A530 is a 4 optical zoom. I bought the A530 to throw in my purse when I am going no where specific, but might have a camera momnet. The S2 is for the real memory moments, like dance rectials, vacations...

I can't give personal reviews yet, but I will be playing with them both alot this weekend, so I will get back to you! :)

I have the Canon S2 and have been really satisfied. It is too large to put in my purse, but it is still smaller than my Canon Elan 7 EOS, which I can only use for special events because the Elan is way to big.. but it takes really good photos. If I were going to purchase I probably would wait on the new Canon S3 that will be out soon. The Canon S2 got good reviews on photo board, you might want to check out the threads over there.

I also want to add that I had Nikon Coolpix before the Canon S2. Did not like the Nikon at all. The Nikon is what I took for our Disney trip July 05. The aperture on Nikon kept getting stuck and I would have to manually open with my finger (half the time I did not realize it and my pictures were ruined, luckly we took the Elan with us on some trips and got some good photos, just a pain to carry). As soon as we got back from the trip I took the Nikon back to Best Buy and traded up to the Canon.

The S3 is out. It is available for $499. After looking at the difference between the S2 and the S3 I opted to save the extra hundred and use it towards the A530. The main difference between the 2 and 3 is the ISO at 800 on the newer model. I didn't see a lot of other differences, I used cnet.com to read the reviews.

I wondered when the S3 would be out. I have not researched enough between the two to know the difference, I thought the S3 may have some newer options. I just got my S2 in January (my second....long story.... :rolleyes2 ) so getting another camera now is not an option, I paid $479.99.

I figured the price would go down on the S2 with the release of newer version. You did get a good price. Like you,I would like to get a smaller camera that will fit in a pocket or handbag.

I don't know much about digitals (I took a photography class in college and we had to get totally manual 35mm cameras and I still use that one) but DH swears by Olympus. For my b-day last year he got me an Olympus 5 megapixel with some kind of super zoom :rotfl2: sorry I don't know the lingo!
I love it! It takes wonderful pictures, even if the subject is not still, which is great, for example, on Disney rides or taking pictures of animals at AK. It also has video with audio and the card that came with it holds over 100 pictures at an excellent quality.

I have the Canon S2. It's a nice camera. I LOVE the 12x optical zoom on it. I haven't had a whole lot of time to really play with all of the features, but I can tell you it takes some nice pictures in auto mode. :thumbsup2 With the price coming down (I paid the same as TN Dreamer), I think it's a great value.

I have a Kodak my fourth with returns due to having a service plan. Being that it is my fourth, I will not be getting another kodak.

I am looking into a Rebel Digital. I can't afford it but if I waited until I could afford something I would never buy anything.

I have a Kodak Z740. It has 5 MP and 10x optical zoom! I LOVE it!! Here's a pic I just took of my lilies in my front yard with the Z740!!

You could post on the photography board - we just got a digital SLR and chose the Nikon D50 and got a lot of great info from some posts we had there. I love love love this camera! I took a picture of DH doing a toe touch and it came out great, with her in mid-air and no bluriness. Also got a superb close up of some flowers in our yard.

We had a Nikon Coolpix 5600, great camera except for the slow recharge time for the flash - that really bugged me, especially at WDW w/characters, I like to take several (you know - the approach, the chatting... ;) ) and sometimes the flash wasn't ready for the "big" shot.

Prior to that we had an Olympus Camedia - great camera, great shots, no complaints. Only thing is I got sand in my zoom button and it cost more to repair than to buy a new camera, so we got the Nikon. DFIL is now the proud owner of the Olympus. :teeth:

Hope that helps! :wave:

I just looked at the Canon S2 & 3 and did a side by side comparision on a website...seems the diffence is the 800ASA and the new model takes 2 instead of 4 batteries which is a pet peeve of mine - less is more!

BUT - the 'look' is similar to the Kodak 470 that someone mentioned above and that I returned because - I always felt as if I was 'jiggling' the camera when I pressed the button down. My old HP just required a slight 'push' - the kodak required major pressure to take the shot resulting in the camera becoming unsteady...
I hope I am making sense...in other words, does the S2 & 3 require a 'light' touch or 'minimun' presssure or a gentle 'push' to get the shot - preventing shots from becoming blurry?
I also felt the Kodak didn't respond fast enough to get a good action/moving shot - it was okay with stuff standing still...is the Canon good for that situation?

Disclaimer - I am not rtrying to knock the Kodaak - what is good for one is not for another :wave2:

We must be on the same wave length today! I have been looking at camera sites all morning. I have it narrowed down I think. Betweem the S2 and the Koday Z650. I was reading on Amazon though that some people felt like the canon took blurry pics. I have to say I would be major peeved If I spend almost $400 for a camera and it does this. buydigi.com has a good deal on it right now!

Dh and I actually went out and found the Kodak P850 for $300. I was marked down at Staples. The man said it was $500 camera at one point! I hope it is great! :cool1:

MyLittlePiglet,

Stop over on the Photography board. I just bought a Canon EOS Rebel. I love it and the photos from our last cruise turned out great. I got a lot of good info from the posters on the Photography board.

Pocono

I have the Canon A620 (7.1 mega pixels) and love it. It's easy to use but has tons of features. I especially love that it uses AA batteries. After having my Canon Elph die on me in the middle of a day at AK I swore never again with the battery pack thing. This way if the batteries die I can put in new AAs and I'm shooting again.

Picture quality is excellent and you can print quite large images from it. It also has an optional underwater housing, which could be a lot of fun for shooting at the beach or pool.

dh bought me the digital rebel xt for mothers day. i hope i can figure out how to use it. i have had a minolta 35mm for EVER. then upgraded to a kodak digital and it's ok, but a lot of red eye and the lag time on the shutter is lousy, so i wanted to upgrade to a better digital. BUT i think i'm over my head in this one! :confused3 not sure i will EVER figure it out! it was so sweet of him, i just don't want to end up with a $800 point and shoot camera! any other canon bebel xt users out there with any help will be appreciated!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter