Scout disaster in Iowa

Colson39

Ft. Wilderness or bust!
Thought this thread would already be here, but just wanted to say my condolences to the Scouts that were killed camping in western Iowa by the tornado last night.

I've read some of the stories that have come out today, and supposedly they saw the tornado coming around a bluff, and only had a few seconds to hit the siren and to take cover. I can't imagine what they went through :/

It is so sad. Our thoughts are definitely with all their families and friends right now.

Yes, it is a tragedy. I hope a lot of parents don't over react and start yanking their boys of of Scout Camp. When a storm is that big, no matter how well you are prepared, there can be injuries or fatalaties.

Here is the official statment from the National BSA:

Statement Regarding the Tragedy in Western Iowa
Robert “Bob” J. Mazzuca
Chief Scout Executive, National Council, Boy Scouts of America
John Gottschalk
President, National Council, Boy Scouts of America
We are deeply saddened by the horrific impact of the devastating storms that tore
through western Iowa yesterday. To the families of those who were affected, we
extend our deepest sympathies and concern. To the leaders, Scouts, and emergency
personnel who responded so quickly and effectively, we extend our sincerest gratitude.
The National Council has pledged any and all resources available to offer help and
support to the stricken area. At the same time, we are moved by and proud of the
leadership of our local Scouting team. There is no question that this tragedy would
have been worse if it were not for the heroic efforts of the Scouts who were on the
ground when the tornado hit. Council President Lloyd Roitstein and the staff and
volunteers with the Mid-America Council have done an outstanding job of responding to
this crisis. Together, they epitomize the very best about being a Scout.
This tragedy has hit us all very personally. For BSA President John Gottschalk, it is
particularly difficult because the Mid-America Council is his home council. Having been
active in the council for many years and serving as its president, and as a resident of
Omaha, Nebraska, John has close personal ties to this Scouting community. His heart
goes out to his friends and colleagues.
We continue to keep all of those affected by this terrible storm in our thoughts and
prayers. God bless our Scouts.

I read about this earlier...just heartbreaking. Prayers for the families.

I can't imagine what the parents, relatives and friends of those who lost their lives are going through right now. It must be horrible for them.:(

Our prayers go out to the familes as well. So very sad. :( You just never know what the next day may bring. Enjoy life!

I have one at Girl Scout camp this week and will be sending my two sons in early July. It is soo tough hearing about this and my heart goes out to the families.

I was watching a video this AM and seeing a boy about the age of my oldest with this totally bewildered look was tough for me to watch.

God bless the families involved here and keep all of our childern safe at their camps this summer (oh and their leaders as well).

Seriously,

I was out at a week of Summer Camp last week with our Boy Scout Troop when this happened. It was my fifth year in a row and part of the routine every time I've been is to do an emergency preparedness drill. The horn blows and everyone is supposed to get back to their campsite to be accounted for. We were at Camp Sequoyah outside Anniston, AL.

The news came in slowly to us in dribs and drabs about the extent of the damage and harm done. We had our regular troop meeting this past Monday and as part of our Scoutmaster Minute I read the names of the four boys who died. I reminded them why we do the emergency preparedness drills, learn first aid, and why it's relevant.

Colson, thanks for starting this thread. Young men who love camping often join Boy Scouts, earn the Eagle rank, and then grow up to take their families camping at Dsiney and the Fort (ME).

Bama ED

We were at Camp Sequoyah outside Anniston, AL.

Bama ED

We've been to Sequoyah a couple of times. We went for a week of summer camp there once, and we also did our Ordeal there. Our Scouts have chosen to go out of council for the last several years. Oh, Ed, are ya'll going to the Talladega Encampment?? If so, (and if I go), we need to make a point of meeting up :-)

We've been to Sequoyah a couple of times. We went for a week of summer camp there once, and we also did our Ordeal there. Our Scouts have chosen to go out of council for the last several years. Oh, Ed, are ya'll going to the Talladega Encampment?? If so, (and if I go), we need to make a point of meeting up :-)

Carol,

We do our planning for our Scouting year in August but I assume we will as we went to the last one a few years ago and traditionally support council events like this by our attendance.

Having said that, even if our Troop goes that weekend it presents a conflict for me so I wouldn't be going to the Encampment anyway. That is the same weekend as a 5k race down in Foley (near Gulf Shores) that I have run in for the past several years (The Oyster Run). Of course we take our pop-up and stay at Gulf Shores State Park. It has the best after-race party I've seen and I've done a lot of 5k's in the past. First, the race is not big so it's a nice small crowd. Second, it's an excuse to get down to the beach. Third, as its name infers, one of the sponsors is a Bon Secour oyster company that provides fresh-shucked oysters after the race. Fourth, there is also a keg of beer, pizza, fruit, water, etc. Plus the awards ceremony is fun and goes deep in the kids ages.

Our Troop usually rotates Sequoyah/Comer/out-of-council so next year I expect we'll be at Comer. Maybe we can say hello sometime at the Fort! DW and I would like to look at your teardrop up close. There was a show on the Travel Channel not long ago about them and she watched it.

Thanks,

Bama ED

First Class Girl Scout, class of 1979 (now called Gold Award), my oldest is Eagle Scout Class of 2004

i just found these boards this past wk and they sure have been helpful!!! i wanted to say thanks to everyone for their prayers, the families involved have felt all the love and support from around the world. Family members were first responders. we were in our basement, we have storm shelter, that was a really nasty storm!!!

we just started drive'n down this morn'n, we'll stay over nite in TN and then arrive tomorrow nite, prob late, we'll stay for the wk. hubby has a cisco networks conference he is attending, so we are tag'n along :-) i've been addicted to the mouse for years!!! This is our first time camp'n at the fort thou, we are all super excited!!! My MIL is come'n w/us and it's her first time back to FL in about 30 yrs. My hubby was born in bartow.

i didn't get to print the sign for the window (so you know me from the disboards), but we do have a damon challenger and we'll have our bikes along. we were able to get some white family stickers for the back window when we went to disneyland last summer (they are all wear'n micky ears, except for the princess)

Thanks so much, we are super excited about come'n down there. it's been a lil over 2 yrs since our last trip to wdw, we went to disneyland last summer. MIL is come'n along this time. We were able to print the lime green sign w/musket mickey to put in the window. i sure love your camper, i showed the kids the pics of it and even told a gal at work about you (there are a few addicted campers were i work) LOL i hope i get to meet a few of the folks from the disboards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter