Scooter with a child

disneyfan19712006

DIS Veteran
I will be alone with my 5 year old granddaughter.
If she gets too tired to walk or if we are in a crowded area where we might get separated. Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? I don't want to lose her

****Was just asking a question since I know she will be fine most of the time but if she falls asleep or walks too slow people will run over her. She is too heavy for an umbrella stroller. My son will be with us some of the time.

I have my own ECV at home and am very apt at driving it even with a child. I have seen some horror drivers at Disney and understand your concerns. I'm more concerned about her being run over. AS an experienced ECV driver I can tell you that the problem you have there is that so many people are using them for the first time. Many times I myself or my son have had to drive someone else's scooter onto a bus to save them from themselves. I have 12 years experience and have often been told by bus drivers how excellent I handle the scooter. Again the problems of some ruin things for others.

It is against Disney's policy for her to ride on your ECV. Also, if it is a rental from an outside company, it is also prohibited in your contract.

no it is not okay nor is it allowed. have her walk beside you, hands on the armrest or something.

You could also try having her hold a kid handle. They are basically handles on a cord that you hold the other side. It would allow her to stay with you and if she lets go you know to stop and look for her. I have a set for my girls when we walk through crowded places. I'll see if I can find the company name.

They are called hold on handles made by greater than one kid

I will be alone with my 5 year old granddaughter.
If she gets too tired to walk or if we are in a crowded area where we might get separated. Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? I don't want to lose her

OP, you asked an honest question, but the answer has to be "No, she can't ride with you anywhere on your scooter." If you read the DisBoards and other forums long enough, you'll read about innocent people who were injured because a child on a scooter pushed the accelerator unexpectedly, or suddenly leaned on the steering and the scooter went off-course. Or even the child herself fell off the scooter while it was moving, and the child was hurt.

As you can see, it is not allowed and also dangerous to let your grand-daughter ride on your scooter. You will probably have to make shorter visits to the park each daily to avoid her tiring.

Also, make sure she knows what to do if you do get separated. Consider temporarily tattooing your cell number on her arm, or attach it to a tag on her shoe or shirt so someone can call you immediately.

I saw a woman with a child in her lap on a scooter go flying into a bunch of parked strollers.

. . . Is it ok for her to sit in my lap? . . .

1) No, no, no, no, no.
. . . totally against WDW rules
. . . totally unsafe for you and the kid
. . . totally unsafe for those walking in front of you or around you
2) Simply a BAD practice.
3) And, could get you expelled from the parks.

I have an idea. My wife saw this bracelet and made one for our granddaughter, I'll post the link since I'm not sure how to post the photo.
Teach your granddaughter that if she ever gets separated from you, to walk into the nearest store she sees or line for food/concession stand. Then she can say she is lost and hold up her arm to show the cast member her bracelet.

It's the Ohio Search and Rescue website, click on the Media tab and then the Safety tips button and scroll down to Child Safety Tips.

Ohiosar.com

It seems pretty clear that riding on the scooter is not going to be an option....so sorry. I know its not what you asked, but you may want to think though the whole trip, and think about your little one and decide if she is truly able to walk independently, stay right by your side and pretty much function quite independently. Our DS did give up the stroller by 5, but most kids have not, and even now at 7, there are tons of times I hold on to him for dear life to keep from loosing him when we are exciting the park or a crazy busy activity. I am sure it can be done and there are parents that do it, but honestly, I don't know that my DS and I could have done a trip in your situation when he was 5.

How is your upper body strength? Can you drive your ECV safely and responsibly with one hand? Are you willing to endure the non-understanding gazes of the more able-bodied?

If you can answer positively to all these, then put your granddaughter in her stroller (not a Disney rental, preferable an umbrella or other LIGHT collapsible) and hold onto it as you go. Not by the handles, but by the metal frame on the side. No, don't tow it, it's not a waterski.

This will make you a double-wide on pathways, so you'll have to be *very* proficient at your driving skills. I did this on my last trip with my DS3. It will run your battery down faster, and as I said, you will be rudely gazed upon (at least) by those with less physical challenges than you. But I could find nothing that said it was not allowed. In fact, dozens of CMs saw me throughout the day, and more than one cheered me on as I travelled through the World.

You may be the best scooter driver in the world, and your grandchild perfectly behaved. But you can't control those around you, and you have no idea when someone is going to stop short in front of you or dart in front of you, causing you to have to stop suddenly or veer sideways. Your grandchild could get very hurt since scooters aren't designed for 2 people.

Before the trip, I would make sure your granddaughter has a thorough understanding that she HAS to stay with you. At five years old, my sister and I were strictly trained not to wander away in public places.

As a backup, many parents use safety ID temporary tattoos; you can get them customized, so I'd have your cell number on there so she can show it to any CM if you get separated. and you can be contacted.

As far as her stamina, the best option is to plan your day around a child's pace. If you know she can only handle X number of hours of activity before getting tired enough to need to be carried or pushed, then plan on your sessions in the park being slightly less than X hours at a time. It's what most parents did before strollers for older children became fashionable.

I would schedule my day; so, there are rest periods. Like do a ride then a show; do another ride and then another show; do a ride and then have a meal; and do a ride then a parade. Maybe, the child will last longer or catch a cat nap on one of the shows this way.

You could probably use the first aid center for a rest, if needed. They have cots.

Just don't overdo; realize that a 5 year old has different limits from you. Spend some time at the resort and enjoy that aspect of it. Play some games in your room or whatever.

You can hire someone to help if you really want to do the parks commando style. You will have to pay an hour rate and the person's park tickets.

How is your upper body strength? Can you drive your ECV safely and responsibly with one hand? Are you willing to endure the non-understanding gazes of the more able-bodied?

If you can answer positively to all these, then put your granddaughter in her stroller (not a Disney rental, preferable an umbrella or other LIGHT collapsible) and hold onto it as you go. Not by the handles, but by the metal frame on the side. No, don't tow it, it's not a waterski.

This will make you a double-wide on pathways, so you'll have to be *very* proficient at your driving skills. I did this on my last trip with my DS3. It will run your battery down faster, and as I said, you will be rudely gazed upon (at least) by those with less physical challenges than you. But I could find nothing that said it was not allowed. In fact, dozens of CMs saw me throughout the day, and more than one cheered me on as I travelled through the World.

I see you said you did this yourself and no CM stopped you. Technically this is not allowed. You can not push, pull, or tow anything from an ECV. I believe it is only written in the ECV rental statement thus why many CMs won't say anything just like they won't say anything if you are in a non-Disney ECV with a child on your lap but if your kid gets hurt or you hurt another guest then Disney is not at fault.

I'd also suggest something like this

product_page_sm-226x300.jpg

so that she isn't worried about her feet getting run over by the EVC. Just to give her a little bit of space, but also make sure she's not going to bolt or get separated.

The best suggestion is to go at her pace. Maybe even do early morning to 12p, head back to the resort for a rest, and head back out in the afternoon to avoid the hottest points in the day.

I'd also suggest something like this

product_page_sm-226x300.jpg

so that she isn't worried about her feet getting run over by the EVC. Just to give her a little bit of space, but also make sure she's not going to bolt or get separated.

The best suggestion is to go at her pace. Maybe even do early morning to 12p, head back to the resort for a rest, and head back out in the afternoon to avoid the hottest points in the day.

These are what we have. They are made by greater than one kid.

Quite frankly, this is an unsafe thing to do and I can't believe that you suggested this, let alone actually did it! If I had seen you doing this, I would have been looking at you in disbelief :scared1:

I'm also pretty shocked that you thought it was ok to do this. :scared: I'm also surprised no CM stopped you..I don't know if they have jurisdiction to stop you but the scooter company certainly wouldn't want that done..as another poster said things like that are usually against the contract you has to sign..

Coonhound said:
I'm also pretty shocked that you thought it was ok to do this. :scared: I'm also surprised no CM stopped you..I don't know if they have jurisdiction to stop you but the scooter company certainly wouldn't want that done..as another poster said things like that are usually against the contract you has to sign..

Sadly it is not in most CMs jurisdiction unless it is a major major safety violation. We are told to really only say something if it is a WDW owned ECV. We aren't suppose to encourage it though and if I saw it I probably would have said something because Safety is always first.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter