Scooter while on rides?

You might want to buy a collapsible cane to go with your scooter. I have osteoarthritis in my right knee and rented a scooter from Gold for the last two trips. The cane helped a lot when I wanted to stand in line rather that "scoot" or when I was required to park the scooter (like at Space Mountain). I kept the cane in the basket.
This brings up the next-level question I have about all of this. How do I know at what point in each specific ride or event que to park the ECV and continue to rest of the journey on foot. Obviously, it's not like I'm unable to walk, it's just managing the pain and total number of steps. For instance, at Slinky Dog Dash, I can't imagine ECVs fit thru the winding line once you get past the entry area with the times listed (perhaps I'm wrong!).

This brings up the next-level question I have about all of this. How do I know at what point in each specific ride or event que to park the ECV and continue to rest of the journey on foot. Obviously, it's not like I'm unable to walk, it's just managing the pain and total number of steps. For instance, at Slinky Dog Dash, I can't imagine ECVs fit thru the winding line once you get past the entry area with the times listed (perhaps I'm wrong!).
easiest way is to ask CM at each ride as rides are different and even if ECV is new to you they are not to CMs. they will be able to help you with what you need to know

You ask the CM when you get in line. Some rides (like Space Mountain and Jungle Cruise) give scooter riders a return time like a person with a DAS is given. Some times you just go through the line. Slinky Dog is one of them! And yes, it's challenging to twist and turn through the line but the scooter I rented from Gold had a sweet turning radius.

So I've got a still-undiagnosed issue with my right knee. MRI is Friday, and results a week from today, but it's been swollen and paid-ridden now for 23 days despite having it drained, a steroid shot and two weeks of anti-inflammatory drugs. I'm not optimistic.
Our trip is July 5-11, with four parks during those six days.
Let's say I rent a scooter to assist, whether through Disney or a third-party vendor. Probably a stupid question, but what happens to that scooter while me and my party are on a ride or in a restaurant?

The same place everyone else parks their sccoter or stroller. Outside the ride or restaurant. Most of the times the scooters join the lines. Rides like the Tower of Terror and Rockin Roller Coaster you have to switch to manual wheelchair. Some of the rides are narrow it takes practice to maneauver around each bend.

It’s been my experience that the majority of the time, I didn’t even have to ask. A CM outside the attraction would see my ECV, approach me, and ask a few questions. Like, if I could transfer, how many steps I could take, etc. Then, they would tell me the correct procedure. This didn’t happen 100% of the time at every single attraction, but it was often enough that I didn’t feel too stressed about it and was comfortable approaching a CM to ask if one didn’t approach me first.

Two days in and everything has gone reasonably well. The first ride for us was FOP, and I had trouble navigating the que with the 4-wheel Pride scooter from Gold Mobility, but that's probably been the worst issue thus far. The cast members really do an excellent job of laying out the process for each ride.
I navigated Epcot all day long yesterday and walked less than 2,000 steps, which definitely impacted pain levels. Because surgery is a week from today, I can no longer take my pain meds, so I'm hoping to do just as well at MK and HS in the coming days.
Thanks for all the handy advice in this thread.

Two days in and everything has gone reasonably well. The first ride for us was FOP, and I had trouble navigating the que with the 4-wheel Pride scooter from Gold Mobility, but that's probably been the worst issue thus far. The cast members really do an excellent job of laying out the process for each ride.

Consider calling Gold and asking if they will swap the 4 wheel for a 3 wheel? One time Gold dropped off my scooter and I went to the park and as I was going around I thought something was just wrong with the scooter - until I got off and realized it was a 4 wheel - and I had asked for a 3 wheel and have only used a 3 wheel. It felt so clunky and unresponsive to turns. The 3 wheel handles WAY better - to me it is night and day.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!

Consider calling Gold and asking if they will swap the 4 wheel for a 3 wheel? One time Gold dropped off my scooter and I went to the park and as I was going around I thought something was just wrong with the scooter - until I got off and realized it was a 4 wheel - and I had asked for a 3 wheel and have only used a 3 wheel. It felt so clunky and unresponsive to turns. The 3 wheel handles WAY better - to me it is night and day.

Hope the rest of your trip goes well!
I honestly did consider that! Yesterday went better, and I'm not sure if it was because I got more used to the scooter or maybe just Epcot was more open and more accesible?

I honestly did consider that! Yesterday went better, and I'm not sure if it was because I got more used to the scooter or maybe just Epcot was more open and more accesible?

Well you know...it can't hurt to call and ask! haha! If they say they'd charge you more or the scooter swap time is inconvenient then you can just roll with what you have. I ended up having them meet me the next morning to swap - but it was their mistake so they were willing to do whatever to help me out.

Hmmm... I was at the MK with the 4 wheel and I really noticed it. The switchbacks in the Ariel line are tight and 7Dwarves is fairly curvy. I think it just depends on how much it bothers you - I really disliked the 4 wheel! I also remember it was a struggle trying to park on the bus. I usually have zero problems but I really struggled with the 4 wheel.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter