Scooter for Achilles Tendinitis? WWYD

I definitely recommend renting a scooter from a 3rd party vendor such as Walker Mobility Scooter Rentals. I always use them. They have the longest battery life I've seen and have a water resistant scooter. They come with a basket, cellphone holder, 2 usb ports, headlight, horn and 2 cup holders. They throw in the damage insurance as well. They deliver right to your resort.

Thanks for posting this. I have bilateral insertional Achilles Tendinosis with heel spurs. I’ve been working hard at Physio and can now get through a regular day with no major pain, but the reality of a Disney day is much different! We go in August and I think you’ve helped me decide to definitely get something to help with all the walking!

Taking a father (43) son (10) trip in August post a recent divorce and considering getting a portable scooter due to my achilles tendinitis. I can walk, but must do so slowly and even then have some discomfort and need to rest occasionally. I do take ibuprofen and tylenol and that does help some, but I am still limited. For our upcoming trip we're staying 4 nights at Universal Cabana Bay and then 4 nights at Yacht Club. I'm considering renting a scooter to use in the parks so that I do not hinder my son from going at his own pace during our visit. I don't want him to feel like he isn't accomplishing as much as he could because he has to wait for dad to walk slowly from place to place, often sitting down to rest. We will have a large SUV with us so transporting the scooter will not be an issue. Part of me feels like I would be taking advantage of the situation by getting to ride on a scooter and not having to walk great distances, so I'm looking for some outside perspective. Please let me know your thoughts on what you would do (rent the scooter or go at a very slow pace).
I have plantar fasciitis and have rented a scooter at the parks. I think the tendonitis you have is like PF. I would definitely rent a scooter. I would bet that your tendonitis will get worse with all the walking in the parks, and just to get to the parks from the resorts. There is a tremendous amount of walking, so why deny yourself. You don't have to use it all the time, and could walk a little when you feel like it. Whatever you decide to do, have a wonderful trip.

Rent the Scooter!

I totally waffled on this issue for many years, mainly because my ex was ashamed to be seen with someone in a scooter or wheelchair. I do feel a little bit of imposter syndrome still, as my disability is not readily seen and if I out walking things look ok...for a little while at least lol. I realized though that I am spending a ton of money and time on a vacation, and renting a scooter allowed me to get the most out of it!

So I ditched the ex and started renting a scooter. It does not automatically get you DAS, you just ride the scooter through the line and then a CM will move it to a "pickup" area for you to grab again off the ride. I now carry spare water bottles and bags for everyone in my party using the handy basket!

Don't waste your $$ on park scooters, rent from at outside company like Scooter Bug or Buena Vista, way cheaper, better quality, take up a smaller amount of room and they move faster than the ones Disney provided. I have a hard time loading the scooter onto the bus at the hotels, so I get off the scooter and ask the driver if they will do it and they usually agree. Its like watching someone back their trailer at a campground, the anxiety and silent judgement you feel is going on but isn't.

OK. You need this. I'm sorry in advance - I am not here to hurt your feelings, but here it goes. …

Sorry this was so long, but I hope it helps answers any questions y'all may have!

Let us know if you have any more questions about ECV use at WDW!
This was filled with great information, and I have only one thing to add. It makes it much easier to load on a bus if someone in your party removes and then carries the front basket on for you. We always used (and finally bought from) Walker Rentals, and one of their folks filled me in on that little tip. Enjoy your trip!

This was filled with great information, and I have only one thing to add. It makes it much easier to load on a bus if someone in your party removes and then carries the front basket on for you. We always used (and finally bought from) Walker Rentals, and one of their folks filled me in on that little tip. Enjoy your trip!
On a few buses/ boats/rides, I had to remove the cane holder from the back. With DH having the seat further back, some spots it didn’t fit.

On a few buses/ boats/rides, I had to remove the cane holder from the back. With DH having the seat further back, some spots it didn’t fit.
I just put my cane through one of the cup holders. BTW, that also eliminates the stink eye from strangers, not that I care what they think since I’m at Disney having fun without major pain!

You've gotten a lot of good advice here! I rented an ECV from Scooterbug I think? Or Gold Mobility? in the summer of 2021 with a bad case of achilles tendinitis. I am pretty athletic and I am a little older than you. I was SO glad I did it, and most people were kind and understanding. People do have a tendency to jump in front of the ECV though, which made it sometimes hard to drive, especially at night - and taught me a lot about how to be more aware of ECVs in a crowd.

I did have a high walking boot but it was so much more comfortable to use the ECV. Just allow some extra time for the Skyliner. The CMs were really helpful helping me getting on the monorail and buses - I rented the "trim" one that can go i a car in pieces but never took it apart. With Space Mountaint they offered to push me in a wheelchair, but walking in the wheelchair-accessible lane was gentle enough for me. You won't regret it, and it made the trip fun instead of painful.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter