Scooter and weather questions

maxiesmom

The Mean Squinty Eye Works
Going to WDW in late August this year, and I know it will be hot, humid, and rainy. So I have a few questions on what I should do to protect my scooter rental.

Should I take a towel or something to cover the seat, to keep it from getting too hot? My rental is thru Gold's, and I know they provide a little plastic cover for the tiller. Should I also have a designated scooter poncho? Is the tiller all I really need to be concerned about getting wet? What about if I am stuck in a park and the streets start to flood. I remember seeing videos of people driving their scooters thru a lot of water. Is that really ok to do?

Most people lower the back of the chair to cover the seat. Then, it doesn't get too hot. If you leave your scooter for a while park it in the shade. The tiller is the most important part to protect. Some use ponchos, too.

If an area of the park gets flooded it's temporary and the water will drain. It may take a while; so, get a bite to eat until it's better to ride.

If the rain is constant and a long downpour then it may be rough to get out of the park. Go slow and find the high parts and be careful if you must drive through it but I would wait it out.

Going to WDW in late August this year, and I know it will be hot, humid, and rainy. So I have a few questions on what I should do to protect my scooter rental.

Should I take a towel or something to cover the seat, to keep it from getting too hot? My rental is thru Gold's, and I know they provide a little plastic cover for the tiller. Should I also have a designated scooter poncho? Is the tiller all I really need to be concerned about getting wet? What about if I am stuck in a park and the streets start to flood. I remember seeing videos of people driving their scooters thru a lot of water. Is that really ok to do?
if raining while driving scooter make sure your poncho covers you and goes over the back of seat so rain can not get between you and seat

Most people lower the back of the chair to cover the seat. Then, it doesn't get too hot. If you leave your scooter for a while park it in the shade. The tiller is the most important part to protect. Some use ponchos, too.

If an area of the park gets flooded it's temporary and the water will drain. It may take a while; so, get a bite to eat until it's better to ride.

If the rain is constant and a long downpour then it may be rough to get out of the park. Go slow and find the high parts and be careful if you must drive through it but I would wait it out.

This is all great advice - just curious (since it's been *years* now since I have rented, thanks to Angus) do *all* rental seats fold down?

I thought that the higher backed seats don't fold? That's why I have always advised to grab a towel from the hotel (if nothing else) because a lighter color will help keep black vinyl cooler. (Also, just realized how hot the armrests could become as well, unless they can fold up too! Ouch!)

I would get a scooter that can break down for transport even if you don't break it down. These scooters will have a chair back that will fold down. But to make sure ask your rental company, as well.

Armrests can be lifted up and that should help to keep them cooler, too.

As far as rain is concerned, maybe I was just super lucky, but one time (when I had a GoGo scooter from Gold Mobility), I got caught in a super downpour in Animal Kingdom, Africa! I remember that as I got to the exit, people were taking off their shoes, because there was a huge puddle (lake size) at the exit area where water was over the ankles. I used a small plastic bonnet over the tiller, and also a regular poncho which I had over me and draped over the front and back of the scooter. When the bus I was on got to OKW, I got off at Penninsula Road and drove as quickly as possible to building 63. Once "home" I peeled off my clothes and I was wet to the bone. But my scooter had never faltered.

I definitely always stay away from the puddles. My Gold Mobility Scooter always comes with the control cover that totally covers the controls. It also comes with 2 ponchos. I use one for me and one to cover the seat. We have never had had in issue, and it seems to always rain when we are here. I was always told to avoid puddles and make sure the control cover was securely installed.

We've gone several times late August with a few older folks in scooters. Had ponchos, towels and even a tablecloth to use to cover them if it rained.

We always bring a light weight tarp with some small clips to put over the scooter if you have to park it and are afraid it will rain....worked wonderfully! Also, I always push down my seat back to keep the seat from being too hot but some times the edges do not get covered so be careful when you sit down.

Thanks everyone! I'm going to get some shower caps and maybe a couple dollar store ponchos. You have all be veryhelpful!

I purchased a folded picnic blanket and use it on my seat to keep it from getting too hot. As far as the arm rests, I just use a misting fan to cool them down. Make sure you use lots of sunscreen!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter