scooter accessibility on disney transportation

captflo78

Earning My Ears
We rented a scooter for my 87 year old Dad from an outside vendor and we are staying inside the park. My biggest concern is using the transportation from the hotel to the different parks. Are all the buses accessible for scooters? He can walk short distances and he wears a brace on his leg. Would we be better off renting in the park?

As pugdog posted, all the buses are accessible. The monorails and most boats are also accessible - there is more information in the disABILITIES FAQs thread, which is located near the top of the disABILITIES Board. You can also follow my signature to get there.

This was posted on the disABILITIES Community Board, so I am going to move it to the disABILITIES Board, which is more about Disney trips.

I would suggest keeping your reservation for an ECV from off site. That way, he will have it also to use at the resort - which would be very helpful. If you rent at the parks, there is no guarantee one will be available, plus you have to get from the bus or parking area to the rental place at the park.
So, renting from off site is better.

You/he may want to practice driving one prior to your trip if you don't have experience with one- many big box (walmarts, etc.) have them for customer's use. It can be a little tricky parking them in the right spot on the bus, but the Disney drivers are usually quite helpful.

It also helps, if possible, to have a small ECV.

As pp said all disney buses can handle two ecv/wheelchairs some can handle three and their a few that can handle four. the drivers will help you get on you be boarding threw the back door through a ramp and making a right to an open slot that the driver made before you got on. then he/she will tie down your ecv they will ask you to transfer to a seat for your safety they are bottom heavy and can tip even with them being tied down.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter