• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time?

50s Prime Time!!! The Sci-Fi is a nice, cool, quiet environment, but the food isn't great.

At 50s Prime Time get the onion rings w/ horseraddish to start, and either the fried chicken or the pot roast for your main course. SO GOOD.

Definitely 50s Prime Time Cafe!!! It is a blast...so much fun, and the food is awesome!!!!

I love the 50's Prime we just went in Jan and had to miss it due to remodel. Have went before and it was such great food. Fried chx is great and mashed potatos are real not instant. I am a potato snob! The mach and cheese was great for kids. We really loved having good ol americna food.

Friend ate at sci fo and I think it is just burgers and stuff she said it wasn't really worth all of the hype.

Thanks for asking this question. I have 2 ADRs for MGM one for each of these restaurants. I think we are leaning towards Prime time. Everyone seems to have the same opinion on SciFi's food. Its the atmosphere that is good not so much the food. :)

IMHO, the atmosphere is SO MUCH better at the Sci-Fi that it is worth it to go there. After we went to the Prime Time on our last trip, we said we probably wouldn't again.

We were at 50s Prime Time 2 weeks ago and was a little disapointed. Several years ago we were there and the waitresses were lots of fun, joked with families and had a great time. This time our waitress didn't "play the part" at all, and I thought the food portions (except for the deserts) were small.
Haven't eaten at Sci-Fi to compare.............we'll go there next.

I just changed an ADR from 50's to Sci-Fi. I think that my kids will appreciate the atmosphere at Sci-Fi more.

I had read reviews on both places before our first trip and if I had only gone by those we would have not visited either place. However, even thought the food wasn't rated great, they sounded like fun so we went to both and continue to got to both each trip! We like the main courses at the Sci Fi better than at the Prime Time but have no trouble finding something we like there either. The main reason we are going to the Prime Time again, though, is the dessert - DS (and me!!) love the smores dessert. I would go to both if you can.

My daughter loves Sci-Fi-so we're having lunch there one day. Hubby and I love Prime Time so we're having dinner there another day and voila-we're all happy!

Our first trip to WDW we ate at 50's Prime Time. I love that era but no one seemed care for the restaurant. We went a few more times to WDW and I always wanted to try Sci Fi but could never talk the rest of my family into going. We finally did on one trip and we now eat there at least once during every trip. We love the cars and the old Sci Fi movie clips they show. My husband and I remember some of these movies from when we were kids. I know there have been several negative comments about the food, but we always go for lunch and have never been dissapointed. If you go order the glow in the dark ice cubes.

BOTH!!! :banana: But don't make the mistake that I did. It was the first time that I used the DDP last year and made ressies's for 50's for lunch and then Sci-Fi for dinner on the same day. Wow, way too much food. I found the ribs at Sci-Fi fantastic and my children were treated like kings. We luckily had an OK Aunt at Sci-Fi but the Aunt next to our table was hilarious. :rotfl2: A lady spilled her drink on the floor and got chewed out. If you go to 50's order the big desert. I can't remember the name but wow it was huge and everyone in my party (5) got one.

I love them both for the food and atmosphere. Sci Fi has great burgers, malts and fries. We always do lunch there. I love the quiet, cool (as in both temperature and neat atmosphere) interior and the movie clips crack me up. We ate there last week and I think they may have changed them a bit, some of them I didn't recognize from our previous five visits. We also ate at Prime Time last Friday for the first time and loved it. Really good comfort food and so much fun. So I guess from now on we will do both, nice to have two good options since the counter service at MGM stinks. If you can try them both, they are both Disney theming at its best!

missy522 said:
Which is better for lunch? Opinions, please on what's good at each! TIA

Oops, didn't quite answer your question all the way in my previous post! At Sci Fi we like:
Burgers, the Reuben, the ribs and the malts.

At Prime Time we enjoyed the Pot Roast (think HUGE), the meatloaf and the chicken pot pie. I wish I would have skipped the pot roast and ordered the grilled chicken sandwich, the lady at the next table got one and it looked so good. The pot roast was good, your typical stringy, well done piece of meat and it was HUGE which I know I already said!

Frankly I would have to say that the food is better at Prime Time. We will do both SciFi & Prime Time in August. DD loves Prime Time and DS loves Sci Fi. I like the atmosphere at Sci Fi better myself but feel that service (as well as food) is better at Prime Time! They are both great though!

I just wanted to say my opinion on Sci-Fi vers. 50's prime time.
I'm 13 and I guess you could say that I'm sort of shy. I really hated 50's prime time. Just the whole concept of the waiters coming up to you and making sure you finish everything on your plate freaked me out. My first experience was when I was 7, princess: the waiters told me this and I was very upset. :sad2: In the end my dad :surfweb: finished everything up for me (a few fries and a piece of chicken).
I went again when I was 9 and I was still freaked out. So if you have kids who don't like that kind of waiter interaction do not take them there.
On the other hand I go bananas :banana: for Sci-Fi. The whole motorcyle/car drive in :moped: theme is really fun, and if you go thereGET THE GLOW CUBES!! When I look at the posts I tend to see that the adults seem to like 50's PT more, and don't get me wrong, I like 50's PT but just think about your kids and their thoughts on waiter interaction.

We love Sci Fi, and we go every trip. While the theming is the main reason we go to Sci Fi, we also enjoy the food there. We always go for lunch (after one not-so-good visit at dinner) and stick to burgers (including the veggie burger), fries, onion rings, and shakes. All of these items have been very good every time we've been there. In our opinion, Sci Fi just isn't the kind of place where we'd order steak, salmon, or something like that. The overwhelming majority of reviews for these dishes at Sci Fi have been negative.

I finally tried 50's Prime Time for lunch last year with a friend. The theming was great, and we had a lot of fun, but I didn't think it was as fun as Sci Fi. I really expected to enjoy the food, but we didn't like it. I had the vegetarian stuffed peppers and my friend had the meatloaf. Both dishes were bland. My peppers were way too mushy, and the filling was greasy. My friend's meatloaf was dry.

both are pretty good restaurants. my DW and I have not had bad meals at either.. we enjoy the theming at both. They are both unique!! 50's primetime takes you back, well to the 50's!!! :teeth:
every server is a mom, brother, aunt, sister,etc. they will joke with you throughout the meal, etc. its a fun dining experience with good food.

sci fi takes you to a drive in theater where you watch B movie clips and sit in your car at the drive in :) . its a pretty neat dining experience. food is pretty good here as well in our opinion.

if you don't want to be bothered during dinner/lunch.... 50's may not be your place. if you want some fun but a place where the staff will most likely not harrass you about finishing your veggies...sci fi may be better for you. :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter