Sci- Fi at DHS

GaBelle

DIS Veteran
Hi everyone! Planning my upcoming fall trip, we will be on DxDDP.
My DD (11) wants to try SciFi. The menu looks pretty good, but I am concerned about seating. There will be 6 of us. Is it weird to look at the backs of others in your dining party?:worried:

It is weird. We love the Sci Fi, have been many times. But it pretty much becomes dining for 2. Whoever you are sharing a bench seat with is the person you are dining with. You almost forget the rest of your party because it's too hard to have a conversation and you don't want to focus on the backs of their heads.

We actually don't talk much here; it's the same as going to a movie.

We never found it weird. I love Sci-fi and it is my opinion that no other Disney restaurant comes close to Sci-Fi in terms of theming. You will likely all have one car and sit two to a row, so you will see the back of the heads of those in front of you. However, our party mostly watches the movies on the screen, anyway, and don't talk as much as we do at other restaurants. They have cute little cartoons, fun trailers from really cheesy sci-fi movies of the 50's, and commercials from drive ins during that time (remember the scene in Greese where Danny is singing about being stranded at the drive in while that hot dog does flips in the background? That's one of the commercials). So our family never really thought it was odd or awkward - it just really fits with the theme and that theme is what keeps us coming back each trip.

It's an experience, certainly not somewhere where you go to have meaningful conversation during a lenghthy meal but it's fun and different!

You watch the movies, cartoons, eat and talk to the person next to you, if someone happens to be sitting there! The burgers and onion rings are good, it's just something different and out of the ordinary, more of a visual dining experience!

Its not weird at all. It is alot of fun. You sit 2x2x2 in the little cars. also, they have tables in the back. You can probably request one of them if you rather do that.

As others have mentioned, Sci Fi isn't really set-up/conducive to lots of conversation between large groups. The bench car tables are really designed for two adults per row and that's who you'll end up talking to. There might be some conversation with the row ahead/behind you, but it's awkward because someone has to turn around. I don't think it's "weird", but it's not somewhere I'd recommend going if having conversation with everyone in your group is a high priority.

As others have mentioned, there are a few tables in the back that might be better for a large group. There are also a few car tables that have a table (and chairs) instead of the benches. Basically, it's a normal table with a car front and rear. I think they're designed for wheelchairs, but they might be available upon request for non-wheelchair groups.

We've always been in the front seat LOL...:thumbsup2 and leave dh in the back (back seat driver).:lmao: But really, it is a very unique experience.

As other posters mentioned it's not really a place you go for the conversation, you go for the atmosphere as you really feel like you're in a drive-in theater (a long time ago). It is fun though.

Feel free to check out my review with photos:
http://www.disneydiningreviews.com/studios-scifi-drive-in.htm

We keep trying to love Sci Fi... the concept is so cool!

But I think we've agreed after our last trip that we'll eat elsewhere. The food isn't bad, don't get me wrong. But it's very dark, hard to see the menu, and very hard to have a conversation. And the food is fine... just fine. I think we'll try another place next time.

we had 3 cars right beside each other for our party and it was fine. you can talk to everybody in your car, beside you, it didn't bother us at all. we love the onion rings, burgers, & shakes! very cool place, it's so crazy to me how it's so quiet in there!

I agree with the below.
We never found it weird. I love Sci-fi and it is my opinion that no other Disney restaurant comes close to Sci-Fi in terms of theming. You will likely all have one car and sit two to a row, so you will see the back of the heads of those in front of you. However, our party mostly watches the movies on the screen, anyway, and don't talk as much as we do at other restaurants. They have cute little cartoons, fun trailers from really cheesy sci-fi movies of the 50's, and commercials from drive ins during that time (remember the scene in Greese where Danny is singing about being stranded at the drive in while that hot dog does flips in the background? That's one of the commercials). So our family never really thought it was odd or awkward - it just really fits with the theme and that theme is what keeps us coming back each trip.

We never find it awkward either. We love the theme at SciFi. Its a lot of fun. It really feels like your at a drive-in! When we go to disney we appreciate the quiet atmosphere at SciFi. We spent the entire vacation talking, so we dont feel the need to sit face to face and discuss anything during dinner believe it or not. Which is why we enjoy facing the screen instead of eachother. The movie clips are cute. Food is good, we always enjoyed it. If youre the type of family that likes to look at each other in the face while you eat, then this isnt the place for you.

We were there with six and didn't find it "weird" at all. In fact, it really enhanced our experience.

Our two grandkids were in the front seat and our granddaughter helped her younger brother (she was 14, he six) with his menu and then ordered for them. We proud grandparents were behind them in the second seat. Then our son and daughter-in-law were in the back seat (and yes, we made comments about then, hehehehehe). Our son trusted us with looking out over his kids and we all talked as much as we could. An absolute highlight of the trip for all of us. Total bonding experience and one of the best meals I've ever had at Disney World just for that one moment in time when we were all together.

You have it backwards: You should be concerned with the food (which is terrible), not the seating.. Great atmosphere though..

davedmaine said:
You have it backwards: You should be concerned with the food (which is terrible), not the seating.. Great atmosphere though..

I personally loved the food there. We have eaten at a LOT of Disney restaurants, and this was pretty good. Like burgers and fries good.. Not le cellier good. We went with a family of 5. I think the atmosphere won over the awkwardness of the seating. It's fun and different!

If you have more people, it's amazing- not awkward!
Last time DF and I went though, it was just the 2 of us, and we were seated behind another family who enjoyed to turn around and stare. And one of the kids (they were about 10 and 8) tried to eat off of our plate. The family didn't speak English so there was no way to communicate and I'm sure they didn't mean any harm.
Don't order the Reuben though, it gave me a stomach ache and it was HUGE! ;)

vicb224 said:
I personally loved the food there. We have eaten at a LOT of Disney restaurants, and this was pretty good. Like burgers and fries good.. Not le cellier good. We went with a family of 5. I think the atmosphere won over the awkwardness of the seating. It's fun and different!

Totally agree. Love the food. The spinach dip was yummy. So were the chicken wings, burgers, and shakes. I also love the fact that they brought the ribs back. They're so tasty!

It's definitely a must-do for me! I couldn't go to DHS and not go there. The theming is amazing, and the food is great too! Best cherry-coke at WDW!

My boys (5 and 6) really enjoy it. They love getting to sit in the "front seat" and getting pretend driver's licenses from the waitress. We also really like their cookies and cream milk shakes.

It's on of our favorite places to hit when we're in HS.

Really? Did you have a bad experience?
I know the food is not going to be out of this world, but is it really terrible?

I have to say if you are going for shakes, burgers and Reuben's it is delish as are the onion rings and spinach dip. That's all we've had there and after several times its still great. I cannot comment on the other food as we haven't had it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter