Scented Candles in the rooms?

I suspect that if you ask any of the WDW resorts if you can burn candles in the room, they're going to say no. I can't imagine that their fire insurance would allow them to permit guests to have an open flame in the room.

And personally, I wouldn't want fellow guests to be burning candles either. There's just no reason to have a flame in the room. Why risk a fire when there are wax melters and diffusers available? I use a melter at home, and you get the same lovely scent from the candle as if you were burning it, without the flame and the nasty soot.

wow................i agree with lynnem. i would never ,ever take a chance with candles. and also the smells might bother other people. that would be quite a problem if there was a fire......sorry , just agreeing with others.

Lynne M said:
I suspect that if you ask any of the WDW resorts if you can burn candles in the room, they're going to say no...
I would think the local fire ordinances state no open flames in these types of high density establishments along with their insurance carrier reflecting the same type of safety precautions. I would also consider those who violate this and cause damage or even result in loss of life due to an open flame would be pursued in both criminal and civil courts.

I often bring a candle. :) Sometimes the rooms smell smoky (even non-smoking) or just funky. A scented candle works wonders.

I don't know what the rules are, though. Not asking, either. I have a strict "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" candle policy. :teeth:

Ok, if some people were told that they shouldn't burn candles in there rooms, then why did I receive a gift basket FROM DISNEY FLORIST with a candle and a set of matches???? Seems a bit contradictory. Now, I never got around to burning it, but I would assume that if they send it in their gift basket with the matches, it would be acceptable? (also, in Disneyland received another gift basket from our TA and it also had a candle in it.)

I guess Disney florist and Resort management need to get together and have a chat ;)

I have always taken a travel candle in a tin when staying at a hotel. Burning it for a brief amount of time can make a nice difference in the room. I use the same care and caution I use at home. But I honestly have not thought about taking a plug in diffuser for some reason. I think for our trip in Jan. I will try that for a change.

Deb & Bill said:
As long as you don't get a scent that makes another guest ill. That could be a problem, especially if you have a room that connects to another room.

I agree. Not thrilled about the possibility of someone starting a fire in the room or using a stinky scent. I think I'm one of the few that DETESTS Yankee candles and their scents. If I checked into a room that smelled like one of them I'd have to move. They nauseate me.

Personally I would not do it. First off for safety reason and secondly becuase of all the people (myself included) that can't handle certain smells.

For the people that do it becuase the room smells funky... how about bringing a deodorizing spray instead? Of the unscented variety ;)

Myst

epcotfan said:
I agree. Not thrilled about the possibility of someone starting a fire in the room or using a stinky scent. I think I'm one of the few that DETESTS Yankee candles and their scents. If I checked into a room that smelled like one of them I'd have to move. They nauseate me.

It's so funny that you mentioned Yankee Candles! Every time I walk by their store in the mall I want to gag. :eek: I do like candles, and I don't know if it's the combination of scents all mingling together that's so awful, but YUCK! I never see anyone in the store, and I understand why, I don't know how anyone could set foot in there and keep their breakfast down! :rotfl:

As a candle-lover (and Yankee Candle one at that!) I don't bring a candle because of the hazard and I don't believe it's allowed, but I do bring a plug-in home fragrancer thing. The rooms do smell musty at times and I like a light fragrance.

epcotfan said:
I agree. Not thrilled about the possibility of someone...using a stinky scent.

I agree with you. I used to love scented candles, but I have since figured out that they are a major trigger for my headaches. And especially since my tendency to suffer from headaches has escalated to real migraine problems, I have been trying to figure out ways to let my friends know. I want to be diplomatic and gentle. But I just can't go hang-out at a potluck or any other get together where the hostess is burning scented candles, no matter how much they add to the experience for everyone else.

welovedis said:
..We have to ask for our room to be cleaned specifically for allergies (bedspreads changed, blankets & pillows changed & an air cleaner run in the room for quite some time)...

Hi. I've read about the possibility of requesting allergy cleaning and need to try that for our trip. Would you mind posting more about this? Do you handle it the same as any other requests? Do you just mention that you have medical reasons or do you really emphasize how important it is for you? I figured that we would need to follow up with a fax after calling, but I'm curious if this is enough. Also is this done by the regular mousekeeping staff? Do you tip extra on your first day or anything?

fromscratchmom said:
Hi. I've read about the possibility of requesting allergy cleaning and need to try that for our trip. Would you mind posting more about this? Do you handle it the same as any other requests? Do you just mention that you have medical reasons or do you really emphasize how important it is for you? I figured that we would need to follow up with a fax after calling, but I'm curious if this is enough. Also is this done by the regular mousekeeping staff? Do you tip extra on your first day or anything?

If you make a reservation online, then you have to call within a couple of days to follow up and then they'll connect you with Special Requests. Or if you phone in your reservation, let them know that you have some specific medical reasons for requesting a through room cleaning and that the ressie might be handled by Special Requests. Sometimes the CM on the phone just handles it, sometimes they patch you thru to the other dept. Some people have said that SR no longer exists and that the regular CMs handle it, but I just spoke with someone in that dept a couple of days ago so I know it exists.

I let them know that my DS has severe asthma & allergies and that we'd like the room to be cleaned and left as hypoallerginic as possible. I state that an air purifier will help but that the bedding needs to freshly washed and they have always accomodated that. They can also clean the room with different cleaning products if you have a sensitivity to certain ones. I also get the name of the Housekeeping supervisor or get a # to call to speak to someone directly at the resort so I know who should be receiving our package with our mattress/springs covers.

When I spoke with them recently I mentioned the scented candles and plug in air fresheners and the SR person stated that they are really a nightmare for the Housekeeping staff. Often people get candle wax on the furnishings and bedding or carpeting, matches set down can leave faint burn marks, and the scents are difficult to air out, esp from the plug in type of items. She stated that Housekeepers have been advised to report back to the Housekeeping Mgr if they see a candle in the room that has been recently burnt (like out in plain sight) or a plug-in air freshener so that the manager can "deal with the situation" at their discretion.

I used to bring candles because I want to feel "at home." This year, however, I am trying something new. I ordered a wax warmer from either Henn or AtHome (this lady sells both - not sure which book it was). I hope it works just as well.
You could try that but if you are cautious then pick whichever one you are comfortable with.
Have a great trip!

welovedis said:
If you make a reservation online, then you have to call within a couple of days to follow up and then they'll connect you with Special Requests. Or if you phone in your reservation, let them know that you have some specific medical reasons for requesting a through room cleaning and that the ressie might be handled by Special Requests. Sometimes the CM on the phone just handles it, sometimes they patch you thru to the other dept. Some people have said that SR no longer exists and that the regular CMs handle it, but I just spoke with someone in that dept a couple of days ago so I know it exists.

I let them know that my DS has severe asthma & allergies and that we'd like the room to be cleaned and left as hypoallerginic as possible. I state that an air purifier will help but that the bedding needs to freshly washed and they have always accomodated that. They can also clean the room with different cleaning products if you have a sensitivity to certain ones. I also get the name of the Housekeeping supervisor or get a # to call to speak to someone directly at the resort so I know who should be receiving our package with our mattress/springs covers.

When I spoke with them recently I mentioned the scented candles and plug in air fresheners and the SR person stated that they are really a nightmare for the Housekeeping staff. Often people get candle wax on the furnishings and bedding or carpeting, matches set down can leave faint burn marks, and the scents are difficult to air out, esp from the plug in type of items. She stated that Housekeepers have been advised to report back to the Housekeeping Mgr if they see a candle in the room that has been recently burnt (like out in plain sight) or a plug-in air freshener so that the manager can "deal with the situation" at their discretion.

You know....it amazes me that the housekeepers would report back about burning scented candles but not about smoking in the rooms! I would imagine that would be a much bigger issue. There are so many people out there, myself included, that are allergic to smoke, that it would be nice if someone actually did something about those smoking in the rooms that are designated non-smoking. Or even those sitting out on their balconies, smoking....which in turn drifts over to me, so I have to go back inside. How wonderful would it be if housekeeping reported smoking and management did something about it!!
So...out of respect for those of you with allergies to the scented candles, I will remove mine from my bags for my upcoming trip. You make some very good points.

goofy4tink said:
You know....it amazes me that the housekeepers would report back about burning scented candles but not about smoking in the rooms! I would imagine that would be a much bigger issue. There are so many people out there, myself included, that are allergic to smoke, that it would be nice if someone actually did something about those smoking in the rooms that are designated non-smoking. Or even those sitting out on their balconies, smoking....which in turn drifts over to me, so I have to go back inside. How wonderful would it be if housekeeping reported smoking and management did something about it!!
So...out of respect for those of you with allergies to the scented candles, I will remove mine from my bags for my upcoming trip. You make some very good points.

ITA, and I know that they are supposed to report it, but I wonder how often they do this. I hate checking into a NS room that was definitely smoked in!

And a big THANKSfor opting to leave the candles home! :goodvibes

I am a smoker and would never ever smoke inside a NS room!!!! I haven't smoked indoors for over 12 yrs, no matter the weather, I go outside at home and wouldn't do it any differently on vacation.

It's my bad habit not anyone elses, especially not my DH or DD's, they don't need to be any part of my bad habit!!!!

Then there is the..."I should quit"-thingie, but I haven't reached that goal yet :rolleyes1

Also about the scented candles, we do bring one but we are hardly in our room so on a 7 day trip it might burn for a total of an hour, I think the smell would be gone pretty quick, I only use suttle (sp?) smells, nothing heavy or so. :)

Oh dear. I called and spoke with someone at the number that I used to make the reservation. At first the woman I was speaking with seemed confused and asked for clarification of what I wanted. I began to try to explain specifics about what type of cleaning would need to be done, but early on, when I said that I would need for all of the linen to be fresly cleaned, she interupted in the middle of the sentence and started laughing at me. Wow. I was trying to be reasonable and communicate it well, but at that point it did not matter that I tried to finish and clarify that the bedspread needed to be a fresh one or anything else. She just acted like I was a nut. So now I've also tried sending an email through the website to request that someone put me in touch with the Special Needs Department. Maybe I should keep calling back and try speaking with a different reservations agent. I hate to be in this position. I feel like this is fairly important, considering how sick I used to stay all the time before I found out it was all due to allergies. What kind of a vacation will we have if I start in with the allergy symptoms the first night and then have a raging sinus infection by the 3rd day? Unfortunately such a scenario is all too likely with my history. :sad2:

bkfree said:
I have always taken a travel candle in a tin when staying at a hotel. Burning it for a brief amount of time can make a nice difference in the room. I use the same care and caution I use at home. But I honestly have not thought about taking a plug in diffuser for some reason. I think for our trip in Jan. I will try that for a change.
I have taken the Yankee tin candle with me, just to get the small out of the room. Sometimes the room smells at first, the candle works great. Next time I might bring the plug in and try that.

fromscratchmom said:
Oh dear. I called and spoke with someone at the number that I used to make the reservation. At first the woman I was speaking with seemed confused and asked for clarification of what I wanted. I began to try to explain specifics about what type of cleaning would need to be done, but early on, when I said that I would need for all of the linen to be fresly cleaned, she interupted in the middle of the sentence and started laughing at me. Wow. I was trying to be reasonable and communicate it well, but at that point it did not matter that I tried to finish and clarify that the bedspread needed to be a fresh one or anything else. She just acted like I was a nut. So now I've also tried sending an email through the website to request that someone put me in touch with the Special Needs Department. Maybe I should keep calling back and try speaking with a different reservations agent. I hate to be in this position. I feel like this is fairly important, considering how sick I used to stay all the time before I found out it was all due to allergies. What kind of a vacation will we have if I start in with the allergy symptoms the first night and then have a raging sinus infection by the 3rd day? Unfortunately such a scenario is all too likely with my history. :sad2:

I don't get into specifics with the reservation agent unless they state that they will handle my request. Before I even get into the process of the the dates & the room I politely let them know that I will need some assistance because of my son's severe allergies and asthma. We also have to request a TTY/TDD kit because my husband is deaf and we need the special door knocker/alarmclock, etc... They usually ask if I'll hold and we get patched over to another area which I've written down as the Special Requests personnel.

I'm shocked that someone laughed at you!

I would call back & just state that you'll need a room that is non-smoking due to health reasons and that you'll also need to put in a request for housekeeping to do a through cleaning for allergies/or asthma or whatever and state that the bedding must be freshly cleaned because of the allergies to it (or whatever your issue is). I have never had a problem in requesting this. (Except our last stay at the GF, where the room had mold growing the bathroom, but that's another story!).

GL (Good luck)!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter