Scared to death

It is.

But I don't think this kid is a horrible person. I think he was being a kid, and having poor judgement. But yes he should have to face the consequences for it.

That's the ultimate tragedy of this. It all came down to one bad decision and it seems like his parents would have been the type to set him back on the right path if they had been given the chance to be in the meeting at first. It certainly didn't seem like he had a habit of this type of behavior especially since his parents even said they knew about the sex part of it just not necessarily the recording.

I agree, he certainly didn't sound like a bad kid.
Well..... if you're the parent of the girl
he recorded and you found out he'd done that AND shared the recording with others, you might well categorize him as a bad kid. The article I've read had a decided slant. Good boy was pushed to suicide by school and police, while the entire issue of what he did to the girl was minimized. To be honest, I would have thought SHE was the one who might commit suicide after what he did to her.

he recorded and you found out he'd done that AND shared the recording with others, you might well categorize him as a bad kid. The article I've read had a decided slant. Good boy was pushed to suicide by school and police, while the entire issue of what he did to the girl was minimized. To be honest, I would have thought SHE was the one who might commit suicide after what he did to her.
The sharing was bad but no where did it say she didn't agree to the recording. If that were my daughter I would be angry... at both of them. At him for sharing it and at her for giving him something to share.

Yes the sharing was wrong and he should have been punished for it. The article was very one-sided but the girl and her family wouldn't speak to the reporter (understandably) so I don't think we can say it was minimized, especially given she seemed to agree with the recording.

As others have said, people do not commit suicide because of one thing going wrong. There has got to be more to this. A happy, mentally healthy teenage boy will not commit suicide because he got scared.

I am so sad for the parents. But I feel worse for this boy who must have been hurting for some time.

Of course what he did was terrible. Even if she agreed to it I imagine she didn't agree to it being shared. That still doesn't mean his 1 action that may have been the only bad thing he ever did was handled properly. Again it is just a terrible situation all around. What he did is wrong but I also can't imagine even letting a kid over hear that being on the sex offender list is a possibility is a smart move by the school. Yes he should face punishment. Suspension, games missed from the school hockey team, whatever but I don't know if at 16 outside of rape or more heinous sex crimes (those against younger children etc) should jump straight to threat of sex offender list.

And yes he is absolutely a jerk for sharing it...But in this day and age, with the technolog, it's so easy for kids to make life changing bad decisions like in this case.

*and again... this is all assuming she knew she was being recorded.

I'm so glad I didn't grow up in the age of cell phones that record and social media that shares things at rapid speed. I can't imagine the dumb crap I would've gotten myself into.

I talk to my kids about this crap all of the time. I tell my son to respect a girls privacy. I also tell him if you are known as that guy that shares his business I bet girls won't date you once word gets out. That stops him in his tracks most times. My daughter is 11 so we talk about respecting yourself and your body and not putting anything out there that you don't want to come haunt you later.

Of course what he did was terrible. Even if she agreed to it I imagine she didn't agree to it being shared. That still doesn't mean his 1 action that may have been the only bad thing he ever did was handled properly. Again it is just a terrible situation all around. What he did is wrong but I also can't imagine even letting a kid over hear that being on the sex offender list is a possibility is a smart move by the school. Yes he should face punishment. Suspension, games missed from the school hockey team, whatever but I don't know if at 16 outside of rape or more heinous sex crimes (those against younger children etc) should jump straight to threat of sex offender list.

Maybe it wasn't the schools best move to mention that to him but it's a very real possibility. That should've come from the police AFTER his parents were called.

How do we know the girl was victimized? Did I miss that in the article? I did speed read it.

Well the fact that she was the one who reported it is a good indicator that she was not in support of him sharing it. I'm not saying that he video taped her without her knowledge etc. (could have I have no idea), but even if she had no issue with him sharing, it's still ILLEGAL (assuming she was also a minor) and wrong.

Maybe it wasn't the schools best move to mention that to him but it's a very real possibility. That should've come from the police AFTER his parents were called.

I know it is a possibility and try to drive that into the two teens in my life head. Consequences as a teen can be and often are life long . I was just saying I don't know if a first offense of this level should go that far. Just seems like in an effort to catch the bad guys the stupid mistake situations get caught up in it as well. Again not saying he shouldn't have been punished but the sex offender list seems a little extreme.

Last edited:
I know it is a possibility and try to drive that into the two teens in my life head. Consequences as a teen can and often do have life long consequences. I was just saying I don't know if a first offense of this level should go that far. Just seems like in an effort to catch the bad guys the stupid mistake situations get caught up in it as well. Again not saying he shouldn't have been punished but the sex offender list seems a little extreme.
That's basically all I'm trying to say. Thanks lol.

I saw that but who can say she didn't agree to it? Bad decisions could have been made all around.
Even if she agreed, it's still ILLEGAL and wrong...again if she agreed blame for that is on her too, not the sharing though unless she also shared it. Also, just to be clear while the police only found audio/dark video, that doesn't mean there also wasn't more.

Even if she agreed, it's still ILLEGAL and wrong...again if she agreed blame for that is on her too, not the sharing though unless she also shared it. Also, just to be clear while the police only found audio/dark video, that doesn't mean there also wasn't more.
I'm not disagreeing with that. I just don't think it's a "heinous" act. Wrong and illegal yes.

I know it is a possibility and try to drive that into the two teens in my life head. Consequences as a teen can and often do have life long consequences. I was just saying I don't know if a first offense of this level should go that far. Just seems like in an effort to catch the bad guys the stupid mistake situations get caught up in it as well. Again not saying he shouldn't have been punished but the sex offender list seems a little extreme.

The school/police don't make the laws. They're not saying they agree with it, just that that is reality. When we tell our kids about that kind of stuff it doesn't mean we agree with it, but it's a disservice to them if we don't tell them the serious/life lastimg consequences that can come from their actions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter