• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SB- I can't believe she said that to me!

bananiem

It's like Annie Bananie only it's just Bananie M.<
I was talking to a couple of acquaintances this morning. We have kids the same ages. I mentioned wanting to open a scrapbook store but not having the time at this point in my life to devote to it.
ANYWAY, One of them says she saw this great set of stuff on QVC and thought she should buy it (She doesn't scrap.) but whenever she thinks about starting she thinks, "Yeah, but then I think about how much I'd be missing out on with the kids while I did it."

:eek: :eek: :eek:
I was speechless!! And let me tell you , THAT doesn't happen very often!

I mean it's not like I neglect my kids to get my scrappin' fix in! I'm lucky if I get 10 pages done a month! PLUS, I thought the whole purpose is that I'm doing it FOR MY KIDS!!
Then I started thinking about the different activities she's in and I thought "How is that different? She's away from the kids while she's does that." At least I scrap with my kids sometimes.
Whew! Thanks for letting me get that off my chest.
:D I feel much better now. I also realize that she probably wouldn't drop any of her current activities so she probably meant that it would be that much more time away from them.
But still...:(
ann

Aww Ann, that was rude! :( I don't understand that comment either though, since I Scrapbook for my kids as well! Actually my kids are usually in the same room either playing with toys or I set them up a "page" with some glue, stickers, ect. They love it! :)

Shame on that lady though for making it sound like a bad thing!:mad:

Hugs!

Ann, your friend does not know what she is missing. you are scrapping to preserve the memories for your children & grandchildren. When you scrap those ten pages a month, you are probably doingit at home. Beanie is probably right that your children are nearby. So keep scrapping!!

I hear the most interesting excuses of why some of my friends/acquaintances don't scrap. Some I can buy, some I think are completely lame. When I scrap, it's almost always when my younger son is napping, and my older son is kind of having his "down" time (aka watching a DVD) or when they're in bed. Sometimes my older one will sit with me and look at the pictures while I am scrapping...and they both LOVE to look at the completed scrapbooks- and my boys are 2 and 5!! So far the excuses I have heard are:
I'm not creative enough
I don't have enough money for it
I don't have the time
I'm not into that kind of thing
It overwhelms me

The one that drives me CRAZY CRAZY CRAZY is "I don't have the time." Mostly because my two friends who say it are stay at home moms, who have STACKS and STACKS of pictures of their kids....I guess it's that age-old debate rearing it's ugly head. I have worked 35 hours a week since both of my kids have been born...only this fall will I start staying at home full time and I have ALWAYS found the time to get those pictures in albums. Esp now that I switched to 12x12 CM albums and follow the CM style a little more (simple pages = completed albums), I find that I can whip out pages in no time. And they aren't that artsy-fartsy! My other co-worker that whines that she doesn't have the money drives me nuts because I have offered to host a party for her (I am signing to become a CM Consultant next month- mostly so I can buy the stuff at cost- I have 3-4 friends who scrap and we agreed to all pitch in every 3 months to get that minimum $350 order in) and she can earn the products for FREE! She has like a bazillion friends who are stay at home moms with a couple kids, so I know she could probably earn $100 worth of free stuff- an album, the cutting system. a tape runner and some paper- waa-laa- the tools you need to start an album. She said she would, but I think people just need to actually see for themselves how wonderful it is to see your precious pictures and memories in nice albums to treasure for years to come...

Okay- sorry I was so long-winded, but what you said is a total pet peeve of mine too!

plain and simple-
she is jealous!

she sees you doing this wonderful thing for your kids and feels quilty!

don't worry about it! You ARE doing a great thing for your children AND generations to come!

I have ONE picture of my memere and pepere (he died when my mom was 18) thats it. :(
I don't want my kids to only have scattered memories -
I want them to look at a book about them and be able to say - oh ya I remember that :)

I hope you feel better about this!
(oh I am quilty of taking away SOME time ( 15 min here and there) with the kids to scrap - I dont drink, smoke, swear, go to bars, gamble, this IS the one thing I do for myself as well as 'for them') Someday they will understand :)

PattyT

People are just so thought-less. I'm sure she didn't realize that what she said could possibly offend.

And, if you are like me, I now purposely plan outings so I can have pics to scrap---that equals more family time. And most of us scrap at home 90% of the time, so we're not at the gym (though I should be) or bar or wherever..

Just blow it off.

Thanks y'all! I am blowing it off today. I think she was trying to make conversation but it hit me the wrong way yesterday. I'm glad I didn't say anything offensive back!

Wow that is amazing....Shame she just doesn't get it!
My SIL is like that. in a round about way she will make comments about being too busy.....which when I look at her life she is busy doing the things she wants to do with her time.
I think everyone needs to have a hobby or activity that is for them. Stress busters an outlet.
So keep on scrapping! if it makes you happy then I am sure your kids are happy too!

Sorry she said that to you! Scrapbooking is a great family activity. And you're at home doing it!! ;) Just yesterday I was putting a small album together for my nephew's birthday. I had done the pages at a scrapping party a couple weeks ago...DS comes with me!! Yesterday I just had to put the pictures on. Then DS (10) chose the stickers and put them on each page. He had a great time at it! :teeth: Keep it up!

I didn't scrap when my kids were little and admit to being one of "those" people that didn't "get it" when the craze started. And probably said most of these same excuses. :rolleyes:

Ok, now that you've all pulled out the wet noodles....:p

I have to say that the first album I scrapped was our first cruise in 1998. Not going to sidetrack into a first album discussion here :rolleyes: but did a few others after that mainly of major trips.

About 3 years ago I was visiting with a friend who has 4 kids! and she was working on the albums for her oldest son in preparation for his Eagle Scout ceremony. And of course not too long after that would be high school graduation.

In our part of the country EVERYONE shows off pictures at major events like this. And more and more I was seeing them done in scrapbooks. So I decided to start with a Scout book...one for DD and one for DS (they were already older at the time).

Now that DS will be a sophomore in high school this fall, DD in 8th grade I'm starting to feel a little under the gun wishing I'd started sooner!

And there is a GREAT payoff to doing this. My project room is set up with a sofa at one end. When I'm working the kids often wander in and out to see what I'm working on and just plain hang out. Ever hear about teenagers not talking to their parents? Well this is one way that they do. Not sure why but they do - maybe it is because they don't feel like they are under scrutiny. Because the other place they will talk about what is going on in their lives is when we're driving somewhere in the car.

So keep scrapping! You know you're not short changing the kids because they'd let you know! :p

Enjoy!
Deb

Not true! My 5 year old 'scrapbooks' with me! And I buy her those disposable cameras to take her own pictures with. She loves it!

Originally posted by FantasticDisFamily
And there is a GREAT payoff to doing this. My project room is set up with a sofa at one end. When I'm working the kids often wander in and out to see what I'm working on and just plain hang out. Ever hear about teenagers not talking to their parents? Well this is one way that they do. Not sure why but they do - maybe it is because they don't feel like they are under scrutiny.
That's true! My friend's daughter just graduated from high school. My friend is a consultant with Close to My Heart and makes the most beautiful scrapbooks. She did a gorgeous one for her daughter for her prom. When her daughter didn't get one for graduation, she was a bit upset. It's definitely a good avenue between them. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter