Saw something I have never seen before in CVS just now

tvguy

Question anything the facts don't support.
All the cold and freezer cases (dairy, frozen food, ice cream) had signs on them that said "Please check expiration dates before purchasing items. If you find an item past its expiration date, please notify a CVS employee"

Ah, isn't that YOUR job CVS? To make sure items in that freezer section are good to sell?

I've never seen that either. There must have been some issue that caused them to put that up there. I'll check expy dates - sure it's their job, but no one's perfect.

All the cold and freezer cases (dairy, frozen food, ice cream) had signs on them that said "Please check expiration dates before purchasing items. If you find an item past its expiration date, please notify a CVS employee"

Ah, isn't that YOUR job CVS? To make sure items in that freezer section are good to sell?

Yes it is. :sad2:

But I'm finding myself checking more and more lately. My one local grocery store (very small family owned) is notorious for leaving things out after the expiration date. I think they do this because they're struggling to compete with Kroger. IMHO they're not helping themselves by this deceitful practice. It has caused me to only go there for last minute ingredients.

I don't check the expiration date on anything but milk. I drink a lot so it's not usually an issue but I won't drink it one day past its date so I make sure I have at least a week for a 4L.

They're probably annoyed with all those pesky customers returning items after getting home and seeing it was out of date.

There are times when the reps don't check the out of dates to return them and they will mix it in with new stuff. I have dealt with this from running stores. The drivers will also try to slide in out of date stuff as well. Managers should be checking the product as it comes in and when it goes out. And then you get employee's who are down right lazy and won't check either.

I haven't been by the freezer section, but those same signs have been on the OTC medication aisles of our CVS for a couple of months now. They bother me, too, because they make me think that CVS has a bunch of expired products and that they should be checking. I am glad for the reminder to check expiration dates when I'm in a hurry, but psychologically I worry that there is more of a chance of finding expired product there.

There are times when the reps don't check the out of dates to return them and they will mix it in with new stuff. I have dealt with this from running stores. The drivers will also try to slide in out of date stuff as well. Managers should be checking the product as it comes in and when it goes out. And then you get employee's who are down right lazy and won't check either.

There are several Tastykake drivers who are notorious for this. They're independent contractors, so I think all returns/out of codes means $ out of their own pockets. Yep, they slip in expired cakes with the new, or put the old stuff on the back of the shelves behind the new and hope nobody catches them. Soda vendors are supposed to give credit for damages/breakages (even if it's the fault of store employees or customers), but it's like pulling teeth to get them to comply.

And of course, some employees are too lazy to rotate milk and other perishables.

The grocery store nearest me(a Kroger) always seems to have expired items on its shelves, mostly in the meat and dairy section. They don't even mark down items that are expiring that same day like other Krogers do! I am super careful about looking at dates there now. I've filled out numerous surveys about it, too, and it never gets better, drives me crazy.

Yes it is. :sad2:

But I'm finding myself checking more and more lately. My one local grocery store (very small family owned) is notorious for leaving things out after the expiration date. I think they do this because they're struggling to compete with Kroger. IMHO they're not helping themselves by this deceitful practice. It has caused me to only go there for last minute ingredients.

There is a smallish store by me, very nice gourmet type store that is the same way. I want to like this store as they have some different food products and some nice pre made foods but I've found too many instances where the product is expired. In particular, they have these nice looking stuffed mushrooms (heat and eat) but they are always expired >:( I don't go there as much as I used to and I always check the date on everything I get there.

I check dates on everything. When I buy medicine anywhere, including CVS, I go for the one with the furthest date out. I don't want cold medicine that will expire in 6 months when I can get 18 months.

I don't check the expiration date on anything but milk. I drink a lot so it's not usually an issue but I won't drink it one day past its date so I make sure I have at least a week for a 4L.

Milk has a "Sell By" date. You should get a minimum of 8 days after that date.

I check the dates on every thing I buy that has a date. Our Stop & Shop is horrible with expired goods. Everything from bread to yogurt to milk to cheeses will be on the shelf expired. One day I literally cleaned off an entire shelf of yogurt and took it to the courtesy booth. There is no excuse.

date checker here as well - i want it to last as long as possible so I get the date farthest out I can

I as well have taken expireds to the nearest worker

Another side of the issue might be that people are returning items that they bought months ago, now that they're expired. There was a case in my hometown a few years back, a woman would shoplift goods, like frozen shrimp, and then later "return" them for cash because they were thawed out. She was actually spotted walking around the store with the shrimp to let them thaw. Seems like a lot of work to score some money, but people are weird. So, maybe it's less of an issue of the store being lazy, and more about customers trying to pull one over on them. Or both.

Another side of the issue might be that people are returning items that they bought months ago, now that they're expired. There was a case in my hometown a few years back, a woman would shoplift goods, like frozen shrimp, and then later "return" them for cash because they were thawed out. She was actually spotted walking around the store with the shrimp to let them thaw. Seems like a lot of work to score some money, but people are weird. So, maybe it's less of an issue of the store being lazy, and more about customers trying to pull one over on them. Or both.
There is a much easier way for the store to deal with that which won't make everyone else think they are too lazy to check the dates... just require the receipt. Then you know if they purchased and how long ago

We have to check the ice cream that we get our neighborhood drug store for a different reason ---- to make sure that the containers haven't already been opened and eaten! :crazy2:

TWICE, we've purchased Edy's ice cream on sale there, and gotten it home to find that someone had previously enjoyed it. WTH????

We have to check the ice cream that we get our neighborhood drug store for a different reason ---- to make sure that the containers haven't already been opened and eaten! :crazy2:

TWICE, we've purchased Edy's ice cream on sale there, and gotten it home to find that someone had previously enjoyed it. WTH????

I thought all ice cream, gelato, sorbet, sherbet (not sherbert, LOL) containers are wrapped in plastic (at the very least around the lid)? Do you have a bunch of ice-cream eating ninjas in your town? Lol!

I've been finding expired products ,mostly in the prepackaged meat section, in our local Hannaford supermarket here in NY. It's made me switch to the Price Chopper up the road, no issues there yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter