• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Satisfied with VGT?

MontanaMouse

Mouseketeer
I have been reading old posts and the current thread regarding *GT assignments. Can those that have sailed under a VGT provide input on how they feel about their VGT assignments? Also, has anyone found any rhyme or reason as to who gets what assignments? Is it totally random (other than 4 people can't be in a 3 pesron room)? I wonder if prior sailings, DVC, booking time, etc. may have an impact.

I realize some of this is speculation and that in reality booking a *GT is a gamble, but I am really curious as to individual, actual experiences.

Thanks!
MontanaMouse

I have been reading old posts and the current thread regarding *GT assignments. Can those that have sailed under a VGT provide input on how they feel about their VGT assignments? Also, has anyone found any rhyme or reason as to who gets what assignments? Is it totally random (other than 4 people can't be in a 3 pesron room)? I wonder if prior sailings, DVC, booking time, etc. may have an impact.

I realize some of this is speculation and that in reality booking a *GT is a gamble, but I am really curious as to individual, actual experiences.

Thanks!
MontanaMouse

It is totally random....just like upgrades are totally random. Does not matter how many times you have cruised before with DCL or how you paid, or how far out you booked. it is random based on their inventory requirements at any given time.

Not sure if it was the thread you checked out but there was a thread where people posted their satisifaction with what they received. The vast majority of people are happy with their VGT assignments. We received a mid-ship cabin on Deck 8 and were very satisfied.

MJ

I have been reading the thread where folks post what they were assigned when they find out their assignment. I didn't know if opinions differed after they actually cruised and "lived" in their assignment.

If you are aware of a different thread, would you please post the link for me?

Thanks for the help!

We just got our VGT assignment and are very happy with it. We got a 5a, deck 7, mid ship. We have never sailed DCL before.

We booked a VGT on the Dream last Feburary and were assigned a cat 4E, one of the rooms on deck 5 with an extended verandah. Our room was on the port side near the aft, and I was a little nervous because of the proximity to the kids' clubs and because we were over the adult area on deck 5. We had no issues with noise and we loved the oversized verandah. I'm not sure I'd pay more to book a 4E over a cat 5 room, but I would be happy if we were assigned one on a future VGT booking.

What cruise are you sailing on? We are waiting for our assignment for the January 24th 3 day cruise....the wait is killing us!!

We just got our VGT assignment and are very happy with it. We got a 5a, deck 7, mid ship. We have never sailed DCL before.

What cruise are you sailing on? We are waiting for our assignment for the January 24th 3 day cruise....the wait is killing us!!

We were very happy with our VGT assignment. But be very aware of the limitations - no refunds, must pay in full, you get what you get (room assignment), and they aren't always offered.

We have always been absolutely pleased with our VGT bookings. In fact, we had a 3 night booked on the Dream and the day of boarding I checked for the subsequent cruise and they had a VGT! It was a less expensive way to book a back to back!

Aside from the onboard booking discount, I have only leveraged VGT's on my past reservations. A tremendous discount! If you have the flexibility and don't mind the gamble that one will appear, it is a great way to save!

Thanks for all the responses. I realize it is a bit of a gamble, but I just wanted a little more information on how people felt about their VGT assignments. It seems that most are pleased overall, which gives me some confidence.

Fwiw. Beware on the VGT on dream class, you could get one of these. There is ony two like this, but ... This would be dissapointing. You would think these would be for upper crew. Anyone been asigned these with a dream class VGT?
http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=46594621&postcount=7

Is that what they mean by a Navigator's Verandah on the Dream/Fantasy? Because those are included in the VGT rate on the Magic/Wonder and that verandah in the video has more of a view than those.

For half off, I'll take anything with sea air. ;)

I have no idea how they give them out.....other's would know better than I would.

BUT, having said that, I am a first time cruiser with DCL and travelling solo on this trip. About 2 weeks prior to my sailing, I was given a 5a on the Magic. Having looked at the rooms and locations and size, I am VERY pleased with what I got. I thought I would get a smaller balcony, a navigators, but nope. Can't wait:thumbsup2

Is that what they mean by a Navigator's Verandah on the Dream/Fantasy? Because those are included in the VGT rate on the Magic/Wonder and that verandah in the video has more of a view than those.

For half off, I'll take anything with sea air. ;)

Techniquely no. That video does not show a navagotor veranda.
The view I suppose is better than some navigators on either ship class.
However only one large adult can stand on the actual veranda at a time.

Good point. Do you want a view or useable balcony space?
I would rather have a navigator anyday over these two.
Just trying to be informative.:goodvibes

We booked VGT on the Wonder.

We got a navigator's veranda. aft I would of loved a mid ship,clear wall veranda.

Booked VGT on the Dream last year and got a 4A close to the aft elevators on deck 9. Loved that room. Just so happened it was the same room we had when we sailed the Dream 6 months earlier..

I'm leaving next week on a 6 night out of Galveston (on the Magic) and booked VGT less than 30 days before sailing. We recieved our assignment only 8 days before sailing. I was really hoping for either a Navigators Verandah or a huge upgrade to a family stateroom on deck 8.

We ended up getting the Navigators verandah. Having not sailed yet, I'm very happy with the assignment since I have never sailed with a Navigators verandah before. Hopefully when I see the room I feel the same. Either way, we paid significantly less than a Navigators verandah or any other one if we had gotten it at face value.

There has been less than a month between my last cruise and this one so apparently frequency is not a candidate for upgrades (actually, it probably makes me less likely to get upgraded. They know they have me and they know I'm coming back.)

For the record, this makes my 4th DCL cruise. two were VGT, one was IGT and one I actually picked out my room. (I wanted to try an aft verandah).

One VGT we got pretty well upgraded (90XX on the dream, not a family size room, but still nice) and on the IGT we got a Deluxe inside, not a Standard, so I guess that's cool.

If you are concerned with the size of your room or your balcony size/shape/wall, don't book VGT. I'm super laid back, and like a PP, just want the sea air.

However, I can't see being concerned about your inside cabin. For gosh sakes, just book IGT.

Any room on a ship is better than being stuck at home or at work. That's my standpoint.

MKwatercraftpilot you are absolutely right. We have sailed three times now, all in the same room (4b) and love the room. However, going VGT is a great deal. I'm trying to look at the full picture here to ensure I can "go with the flow". As you and others have said any day on the ship is better than a day at work. I really appreciate everyone's insight...both the positives and the negatives.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter