Sapphire Falls vs. Cabana Bay, weigh your thoughts.....

RalphinSC

Daft Brotherhood of the Ubiquitous Mugshare
I'm looking at a $20 difference per night for next month with AP rates. Absolutely love the theming and look at Cabana Bay but not as sold on Sapphire Falls yet. Is it worth the step up in price? Opinions wanted.

As a frame of reference, our favorite Disney resort in the past has been Pop Century. Cabana Bay seems to have the best of that in spirit and improves upon it. This will be our first stay and first trip to Universal. (first of many this year, hence the Annual passes)

I've stayed at both and I'd pick Cabana Bay. We stayed there after Pop and liked it even better than Pop. But here's a comparison between SF and CBBR from one of my TRs.

Transportation: Tie. Since both places have different transportation I'd say it would be a tie in terms of quickness and ease of transportation. We never waited for the water taxis at SF, and never waited for the bus at CBBR. SF has the advantage of the water taxi dropping you off right at the park, but CBBR has the advantage of being the only resort on it's own bus system.

Pool: Sapphire Falls. Both pools looked really nice...and we swam in neither of them. I would say the pool at Sapphire Falls might be nicer, and I know it has a hot tub which I don't think CBBR has.

Food choices: CBBR. I don't always use the food courts in hotels, but I like when they have one just in case you want something to eat quickly or want a variety of choices. I also loved the Galaxy Bowl, and we also used the Starbucks in the mornings. I know there's a few bar/lounge places at SF, but it really felt like the only choice we had for onsite dining was Amatista Cookhouse which I just wasn't impressed by the food or service at.

Theme: CBBR. Though Sapphire Falls has a tropical theme and it's truly beautiful the hotel itself doesn't feel highly themed. The retro theme at CBBR is everywhere and instead of it being too much I really enjoyed it.

Rooms: Tie. Both places had lovely rooms.

Bathrooms: Sapphire Falls. I'm big on hotels having nice showers, and I love the glass door ones newer hotels have.

Staff friendliness: Tie. We had very friendly staff at both hotels.

Cost: Tie. Both hotels were about the same price for our weekend. Though normally CBBR is a little cheaper.

Complaints: SF- The outlets were incredibly hard to use, offers no food court, water taxis don't run in the rain.
CBBR-Bus drops you off farther from parks

We did like both hotels and the water taxis at SF are useful, but I think the food choices and theming being more prominent gives CBBR a slight edge for us.

Just one little correction about water taxis and the rain....it isn't the rain but if there is any lightning in the area, they won't run. Just like at WDW.

I've stayed at both and I'd pick Cabana Bay. We stayed there after Pop and liked it even better than Pop. But here's a comparison between SF and CBBR from one of my TRs.

Transportation: Tie. Since both places have different transportation I'd say it would be a tie in terms of quickness and ease of transportation. We never waited for the water taxis at SF, and never waited for the bus at CBBR. SF has the advantage of the water taxi dropping you off right at the park, but CBBR has the advantage of being the only resort on it's own bus system.

Pool: Sapphire Falls. Both pools looked really nice...and we swam in neither of them. I would say the pool at Sapphire Falls might be nicer, and I know it has a hot tub which I don't think CBBR has.

Food choices: CBBR. I don't always use the food courts in hotels, but I like when they have one just in case you want something to eat quickly or want a variety of choices. I also loved the Galaxy Bowl, and we also used the Starbucks in the mornings. I know there's a few bar/lounge places at SF, but it really felt like the only choice we had for onsite dining was Amatista Cookhouse which I just wasn't impressed by the food or service at.

Theme: CBBR. Though Sapphire Falls has a tropical theme and it's truly beautiful the hotel itself doesn't feel highly themed. The retro theme at CBBR is everywhere and instead of it being too much I really enjoyed it.

Rooms: Tie. Both places had lovely rooms.

Bathrooms: Sapphire Falls. I'm big on hotels having nice showers, and I love the glass door ones newer hotels have.

Staff friendliness: Tie. We had very friendly staff at both hotels.

Cost: Tie. Both hotels were about the same price for our weekend. Though normally CBBR is a little cheaper.

Complaints: SF- The outlets were incredibly hard to use, offers no food court, water taxis don't run in the rain.
CBBR-Bus drops you off farther from parks

We did like both hotels and the water taxis at SF are useful, but I think the food choices and theming being more prominent gives CBBR a slight edge for us.

Thank you so much Raeven! Just the kind of comparison I was looking for!

If you like the theming of CB, you'll love it there. The attention to detail is amazing, down to the toiletries in your bathroom. I wish it were on the water taxi but the bus and walk was ok.

CBBR does have at least one large hot tub. It is near the bar/eatery at the lazy river pool.

Sapphire Falls may not have a food court, but it does have the New Dutch Trading Co.........it has quick service food, including breakfast items, desserts, wine, snacks and various other food items.........very handy place and always busy whenever we went over.

We loved Strong Water Tavern and Amatista for food.........both had excellent food and service and would happily go back again. Particularly Strong Water Tavern.

We didn't eat at the Pool bar, but gets amazing reviews.

Overall, I would always choose Sapphire Falls over Cabana Bay.......it has a much nicer feel and is of a higher standard generally. It is such a beautiful resort.

Have a look at the hotel stickies for pictures and general info on both hotels.

Last edited:
CBBR does have at least one large hot tub. It is near the bar/eatery at the lazy river pool.
There's also a hot tub at the water slide pool. It's near the bar. If you're looking at the pool area from the lobby, it'll be on the left.

I've stayed at CB and SF on the same trip (solo). When I was at SF, I so wished I had booked the entire stay at CB. Loved the atmosphere, the family suite was wonderful and I like the food court option. The lazy river was longer than I expected and will be even better when construction of the new hotel wing is complete. I did not like the food choices at SF. At all.

The main advantage to SF for me is the ability to take the boat to the parks. CB buses (for which I never waited more than 5-10 minutes on either end) let you off in the area near the parking garage where you go through security and then walk all of Citywalk to get to the parks.

I have a trip booked in May and we were originally going to stay at Portofino Bay but I loved Cabana Bay so much we decided to stay there instead. And it's about half the price!

I could easily spend a long weekend at CB and never go to a park and have a perfectly lovely vacation. I wrote reviews after my stays this past fall. If you look up my posts, you'll find them!

Let us know what you decide!

Edit to add links:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/cabana-bay-review-oct-2016.3558753/
http://www.disboards.com/threads/sapphire-falls-review-nov-2016.3558942/

Last edited:
We are planning on staying at SF this year so I can't comment on it yet. We have stayed at CB three times without doing the parks. We flew in Thursday from the west coast spent Thursday and Friday night at CB and then headed out on a cruise Saturday. I find the hotel to be one of the best values in Orlando even if your not buying park tickets. IMHO CB is better then a WDW moderate. I stayed at POP one night and I might as well have been at the motel 6 down the street. CB is my go to hotel when I need a nice resort at a great price.

There's also a hot tub at the water slide pool. It's near the bar. If you're looking at the pool area from the lobby, it'll be on the left.

I've stayed at CB and SF on the same trip (solo). When I was at SF, I so wished I had booked the entire stay at CB. Loved the atmosphere, the family suite was wonderful and I like the food court option. The lazy river was longer than I expected and will be even better when construction of the new hotel wing is complete. I did not like the food choices at SF. At all.

The main advantage to SF for me is the ability to take the boat to the parks. CB buses (for which I never waited more than 5-10 minutes on either end) let you off in the area near the parking garage where you go through security and then walk all of Citywalk to get to the parks.

I have a trip booked in May and we were originally going to stay at Portofino Bay but I loved Cabana Bay so much we decided to stay there instead. And it's about half the price!

I could easily spend a long weekend at CB and never go to a park and have a perfectly lovely vacation. I wrote reviews after my stays this past fall. If you look up my posts, you'll find them!

Let us know what you decide!

Edit to add links:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/cabana-bay-review-oct-2016.3558753/
http://www.disboards.com/threads/sapphire-falls-review-nov-2016.3558942/

Thanks! Awesome links and reviews! I think I'm going to be booking CBBR later today. I'm sure I'll catch a day or two at Sapphire Falls later this year as I have AP's and plan to visit often.

Sapphire Falls may not have a food court, but it does have the New Dutch Trading Co.........it has quick service food, including breakfast items, desserts, wine, snacks and various other food items.........very handy place and always busy whenever we went over.

We loved Strong Water Tavern and Amatista for food.........both had excellent food and service and would happily go back again. Particularly Strong Water Tavern.

We didn't eat at the Pool bar, but gets amazing reviews.

Overall, I would always choose Sapphire Falls over Cabana Bay.......it has a much nicer feel and is of a higher standard generally. It is such a beautiful resort.

Have a look at the hotel stickies for pictures and general info on both hotels.

Thanks schumgirl! I've been a big fan of your trip reports and even if I end up staying a CBBR this particular trip, I know a visit to Sapphire Falls and Strongwater Tavern is in my future, thanks to your wonderful reviews! And I know that DEFINITELY a stay a RPR is in order this year thanks to you (perhaps in April or June. They didn't have anything available for AP discount this close to our February trip)

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think I'm edging towards Cabana Bay next month, but I'm hoping to stay in several of the resorts throughout this upcoming year and Sapphire Falls is as too good of a price point to really miss out on.

Personally, I would always pick CB over SF for the following reasons:

1. Cost - CB is less expensive than SF. Or you could get a Family Suite at CB for about the same price as a standard room at SF
  2. Pools - I've swam at both and personally prefer CB over SF. Two HUGE Pool areas instead of one. One with a water slide and the other with a lazy river as many have noted
  3. Starbucks - CB has a full-on Starbucks for our morning coffees, breakfast sandwiches (which are not marked up in price so great cheap option for grab n go breakfast)
  4. Bayliner Diner - For in-resort food, I prefer the Bayliner Diner over the various restaurants at SF. Great for a quick Counter Service meal whereas for a Table Service meal I prefer the restaurants at Citywalk.
For me the extra cost at SF isn't justified since it doesn't offer Express Pass, and Water Taxi to me is only marginally more convenient than the CB Shuttle bus (expect if leaving the parks at close when it's busy, but we took the Water Taxi back to SF and just walked across the street back to CB).

If I'm going to pay more than CB for an on-site resort, I'd pay the extra for RPR since it includes Express Pass.

Ended up booking Cabana Bay for Febraury 20-24. Thanks for all the input guys! I'll certainly be checking all the other resorts out as well during that time.

Hoping to go back to CB before May for one last trip with our annual passes. Loved everything about it!

We actually prefer Cabana Bay. Mostly because we like the option of the food court and we are addicted to the Lazy River. Plus we like the fun atmosphere.

We felt Sapphire Falls was nice but missing something. We also did not like the bathroom at all in our room. I miss having a tub.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter