San Pedro Question

mhb1757

Earning My Ears
We are planning a weekend in Catalina prior to our Wonder cruise in May....thought it would be so simple...just take the ferry from Avalon back to San Pedro Monday morning and hop right over from the ferry terminal to the cruise terminal and board the Wonder....now I discover that the ferry terminal at San Pedro is being remodeled and is closed until Memorial Day (our cruise leaves mid-May)...so no ferry service to San Pedro. We would have to return to the ferry terminal at Long Beach.

Could some kind So Ca resident tell me about how far it would be from Long Beach to San Pedro, how long the trip would take and if there are usually cabs available at the ferry dock in Long Beach?? Or I am open to any other suggestions for getting from Catalina back to San Pedro.
Thanks

I went to High school in San Pedro - over 20 years ago, but if I remember correctly, Long Beach is just over the bridge from San Pedro. We used to always go shopping at the commissary over in Long Beach, and I remember it being a very quick trip. Maybe 20 min? And I think the port and where you would likely dock in Long Beach (that part is a guess) are right near the bridge.

Not sure about cabs but I would guess there would be some.
Hopefully someone else has more info!

Kim

We are planning a weekend in Catalina prior to our Wonder cruise in May....thought it would be so simple...just take the ferry from Avalon back to San Pedro Monday morning and hop right over from the ferry terminal to the cruise terminal and board the Wonder....now I discover that the ferry terminal at San Pedro is being remodeled and is closed until Memorial Day (our cruise leaves mid-May)...so no ferry service to San Pedro. We would have to return to the ferry terminal at Long Beach.

Could some kind So Ca resident tell me about how far it would be from Long Beach to San Pedro, how long the trip would take and if there are usually cabs available at the ferry dock in Long Beach?? Or I am open to any other suggestions for getting from Catalina back to San Pedro.
Thanks

Looking at the Catalina Express website, it looks like the terminal is close to the bridge. That means it should only take 15 minutes or so to get to the Port of LA. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=...l=33.763772,-118.198836&spn=0.014628,0.026929. I doubt that there are normally taxis waiting but, if you let the Catalina Express crew know, they might be able to call ahead for one so it is waiting when you arrive.

The Cat Express dock in Long Beach is actually right next to the Queen Mary. There aren't usually cabs waiting there I don't think, but considering the QM is a fully running hotel I'm sure it can be arranged easy enough. Try contacting the Cat Exp people to arrange a cab, but if not, you may be able to arrange something with the QM concierge or bell people. Just a thought.

Thanks for the speedy replies. The Catalina Express has 2 docks in Long Beach....1 by the Queen Mary and the other is listed as "Downtown Long Beach" They only go to the QM dock a couple of times a day during the week, so we will need to use the other Long Beach dock....but I had not thought to ask them to call for a cab at our arrival time. I think that might be the best plan.
Thanks

You don't say how many you are but you can ask for a mini van cab if you call ahead. It is the same price.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter