San Juan Car Rental Question

dtk07

Mouseketeer
We are doing a DCL cruise out of San Juan. We will be arriving the day before. So aren't going to have a ton of extra time but wouldn't mind taking a couple hours in a rental car around the city if it works out the evening before or the next morning. Is there a simple answer on a way to rent a car at the airport, park it at the hotel overnight, and drop off and shuttle to the cruise port? It was rather simple for Port Canaveral but I'm not finding as easy of an answer in San Juan.

We were in PR for 5 days prior to our cruise out of SJ. We had a car as we drove the whole island and did multiple things. I am so glad I wasn't the one driving! Narrow roads and up in the mountains for one adventure (Arecibo).

Honestly, if I was only there the day before I would take a taxi from the airport to a hotel in Old SJ. Then just walk around old San Juan, also not a super great place to drive. The taxis prohibit Uber and Lyft from picking up at the airport so there is a mark up on the fares. My husband dropped us off at the port, drove the car back to the rental at the airport, and then took at taxi (was $25 or 30, he thinks) back to the port. We had to sit in the terminal for about an hour before he could rejoin us and we could go on the Wonder.

We rented a car in San Juan prior to cruise and after the cruise - both were one-way rentals with Avis. Picked the car up at the airport, with a drop off at Sheraton Convention Center (we stayed there prior to cruise), morning of the cruise took a taxi from the hotel to the port (it's about a mile and a half). On return, the reservation pickup was at Sheraton Convention Center, with a drop off at the airport. We called Avis when we exited the customs, and someone from Avis drove over in our car to pick us up - it was super convenient.

We did this with our recent trip. We rented from Charlie Car Rental. We picked up the shuttle right outside baggage claim and they took us to their offsite car rental (less than 5 min). We rented a cheap (but adequate) car that we parked overnight at our AirBnB. We explored the following day and then spent one more night before returning the rental car to their Conadado location. We were supposed to then be shuttled to the port, but there was a crazy festival going on when we were there (never again!!!) and so they comped us $20 on our rental so that we could grab a cab, which was actually no problem at all. There was a hotel across the street and we jumped in the cab and went to the port. I'm sure if the festival hadn't been going on, the shuttle thing would have been fine, but apparently the police were only letting cabs in and out or something? I didn't really understand, but didn't mind much since she gave us $20 off the rental for the hassle (which covered the cab fare).

We are doing a DCL cruise out of San Juan. We will be arriving the day before. So aren't going to have a ton of extra time but wouldn't mind taking a couple hours in a rental car around the city if it works out the evening before or the next morning. Is there a simple answer on a way to rent a car at the airport, park it at the hotel overnight, and drop off and shuttle to the cruise port? It was rather simple for Port Canaveral but I'm not finding as easy of an answer in San Juan.
If you're just coming in the day before, I would simply spend time in Old San Juan near the port. There is enough to see without renting a car. The views from the forts are AMAZING! Just take a cab to your hotel. Be aware that SJU does not allow Uber at the airport and you'll have to pay a flat rate to your hotel (I think it was about $25-$40 depending on where your hotel is).

OldSJ.JPG

I would concur with the above post, however. If you just want to explore Old San Juan and you are staying in/near Old San Juan, you don't need a rental car. We only rented a car because we wanted to go to the rain forest. Honestly, I recommend both so if there's a way can make it would, I would recommend, like perhaps rain forest after you get in (if you have an early enough flight) and maybe Old San Juan prior to embarking.

I'd look into Jerry's tours. I met one of their drivers while I was waiting for my twins and DH to finish zip lining. He had a young couple, who were also ziplining, with him he was driving around. We had a great conversation. I would not like driving there. Roads are so tight. I saw some other tour guides drop people off too, but I don't remember what company they were with. The man from Jerry's and I were waiting at least 45 minutes so we had a great chat. He even made a flag out of plant material with my 6 year old (who was too young to zip line).

Here's the zipline website. My kids LOVED this. DH said he was glad he did it, but doesn't need to again.
https://www.junglequipr.com/

I would not get a rental car in San Juan just for one night. It'll be a lot faster and easier to take a cab from the airport and then Uber everywhere else (Uber can't pick up at airport). Old San Juan is really walkable, just have Uber drop you off by one of the forts and then wander around.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter