San Diego zoo, wildlife park or seaworld?

ktlm

DIS Veteran
We are having a hard time making a choice, and could use some help. If you had to choose only one of these, would you pick the San Diego Zoo, the wildlife park, or Seaworld? It is 2 adults and DD(7). We've been to Seaworld in San Antonio, TX, but never in San Diego. DH and I have been to the San Diego Zoo once before DD was born, but that was years ago. Thanks for your input!

Only one? That's tough!

I'd probably first narrow it down to either the zoo or Sea World, since the Safari Park is 45 minutes north of the rest of San Diego.

The zoo is less expensive than SW, but doesn't have any rides. I personally think that the San Diego SW leaves a little to be desired, especially compared to the Orlando one, but I haven't been to San Antonio's so can't compare those two. SD zoo is massive. Both choices will require a lot of walking.

I think it would boil down to your daughter. More interested in marine life, or all animals in general?

Zoo. One of my favorite places in San Diego. Period. And I go at least a few times a week.

Safari Park is a good 45 minutes from San Diego proper, as mentioned, so that makes for a long day.

We also have Seaworld passes and go maybe three times a year.

But what does your daughter like? Let that be the deciding factor.

Thanks! DD can't make up her mind which one of the three she would rather do, so I thought I would get some opinions. We are staying north of San Diego, and I checked the milage and it doesn't make that much difference either way. The Safari Park is slightly closer to where we are, but not enough that it matters.

It would be funny if you two pass by each other all the time at the zoo!

You have me leaning toward the zoo right now.

Thanks! DD can't make up her mind which one of the three she would rather do, so I thought I would get some opinions. We are staying north of San Diego, and I checked the milage and it doesn't make that much difference either way. The Safari Park is slightly closer to where we are, but not enough that it matters.

It would be funny if you two pass by each other all the time at the zoo!

You have me leaning toward the zoo right now.

The Safari Park is neat, really, but only if you've seen the other options also. If I only had one choice, I wouldn't pick it. Also, if you are visiting during the summer, you'd be cooler on the surface of the sun than you would be in Escondido lol!

We have not gone to the Safari park, but this past April we did both SW and the Zoo. First time we went to SW SD was a couple of years ago and DD went bonkers over that park :goodvibes. So we thought she would love it as much (if not more) the second time around. Nope, she liked it but it felt like she could take it or leave it.

We loved the zoo :thumbsup2 It is a big park with lots of walking but there is also a lot of transportation and the park is beautiful. I did a small trip report (link on my siggie) with a couple of photos of the zoo and some tips - mostly on how to get to the pandas!

Thanks tzeitel. Sure is looking like we will be going to the zoo! Thanks for the tips on getting to the pandas! I know we will want to see them!

sonnyjane, :rotfl: Escondido surely can't be as bad as Oklahoma can get in the summer!

Thanks tzeitel. Sure is looking like we will be going to the zoo! Thanks for the tips on getting to the pandas! I know we will want to see them!

sonnyjane, :rotfl: Escondido surely can't be as bad as Oklahoma can get in the summer!

I haven't been to Oklahoma but Escondido can spend MOST of the summer in the 100 degree range.

Btw keeping OK in my thoughts :(

I work at the zoo so let me know if you have questions. Pandas can get a long line, especially with our new baby, so I'd recommend going there first. We also just opened the new Australian Outback exhibit. Lots going on!!

My brother works at the Safari Park, and let me tell you, the heat can be unbearable in summer so I wouldn't recommend it. It gets well over 100 and there isnt alot of shade or breeze.

I have also been to SW San Antonio and I don't think it holds a candle to ours here in San Diego. The SW there is larger in acreage, but there are a lot more animal exhibits in SD. It is one of my favorite places in San Diego. Here they have a bunch of aquariums, a tide pool where you can touch sea stars, all the shows, some fun rides, but it really is about the animals. You can also do a quick hour behind the scenes tour for about $18 a person.

I would say sea world or the zoo. I LOVE sea world, but I know our zoo is a big draw with the pandas. I would say think about how much walking you want to do. The zoo is a ton of walking, and it is VERY hilly. Sea World is more compact and flat, you will probably not do as much hiking as at the zoo. Both can easily keep you busy all day. Make sure you bring sunscreen. :)

sonnyjane said:
Btw keeping OK in my thoughts :(

Thanks. It has been a rough couple of weeks. We were lucky. The big one was close enough to see and videotape from our front yard. Last night was pretty scary too. We have definitely been making too much use of our shelter!

We told our kids we'd only renew one SD season pass this year, so they'd have to choose between SW or the Zoo/Safari Park. They like SW, but they both chose the Zoo, no hesitation at all.

I'm excited to get down that way to see the Outback exhibit. We missed the koalas last time we were there.

BTW, some of those Sea World shows can get ugly hot too. I swear they could charge a fortune for seats in the one tiny area of the Blue Horizons stadium that actually gets a little shade.

Good luck with your decision OP, and I certainly hope the bad weather calms down for you.

My vote is for SW. My DD13 still loves SW but really loved it when she was 7,8. In fact she's thinking she (still) wants to work with dolphins or be a marine biologist. Also, of the 3 parks, SW will be the coolest, weather-wise.

One thing I find very interesting is that the temp. in SD is taken at the airport which is right on the water (like SW). The temp at the zoo can be quite higher than the temp. you'll see reported for CD.

Safari Park is very nice, but super hot in the summer. The Zoo is nice too but once it start heating up many of the animals take shelter. And there is a lot of walking/hills.

Whichever you choose, I'm sure you'll all have a great time.

When are you going? The San Diego Fair may also be going on while you are there.

My vote is for SW. My DD13 still loves SW but really loved it when she was 7,8. In fact she's thinking she (still) wants to work with dolphins or be a marine biologist. Also, of the 3 parks, SW will be the coolest, weather-wise.

Even though I work with birds now at the zoo, my degree is in Marine Bio and I used to work with dolphins and sea lions. If your DD ever wants to talk to someone, I'd be happy to let her know what it's really like (I.e expect to work for free for much of your early career lol!)

Even though I work with birds now at the zoo, my degree is in Marine Bio and I used to work with dolphins and sea lions. If your DD ever wants to talk to someone, I'd be happy to let her know what it's really like (I.e expect to work for free for much of your early career lol!)

Thanks, I'll let her know. She wanted to do this when she was 7-8 and then she changed her mind. Recently she told me she was thinking of it again.

IMHO the choice is really between the zoo and SW. Leave the WAP out of the equation. The zoo to me is more educational whereas SW is more entertainment. It's a leisurely stroll at there zoo vs. having to be at a show at a specific time.

I live about 10 mins from the Safari Park. I love that place. That said, I don't go there in the summer time unless it's already after 3 PM. I think the Zoo will be best for you. There are so many animals and things to see. I love the new stuff like the Australian Outback exhibit, Reptile Walk, and the Elephant Odyssey which is already a few years old still impresses me.

We had a chance to do a behind the scenes tour (not the Backstage Pass). We were lucky enough to win 4 passes. It was pretty awesome, so I would recommend that if you can afford it. We had a private tour, similar to the bus tour, went into the back of the lions/jaguars, fed a camel, fed the giraffes, and our guide was great.

We just got SW passes and went yesterday. It's fun, and there are more things to do in the summer, but if I were to choose between the zoo and SW, I'd def go with Zoo. Also, I like to think about where my money goes. When I spend money at the zoo, it goes back to the animals. Heck, my entire membership is a tax deduction!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Our Dreams Unlimited Travel Agents will assist you in booking the perfect Disney getaway, all at no extra cost to you. Get the most out of your vacation by letting us assist you with dining and park reservations, provide expert advice, answer any questions, and continuously search for discounts to ensure you get the best deal possible.

CLICK HERE

facebook twitter