San Angel Inn versus La Hacienda de San Angel

smileymomof3

Mouseketeer
Okay both Mexican, looked at menus (kids menus exactly the same)... So what's the deal, which is better? Food? Ambience? It is myself, dh, ds9, dd7, and ds 4. Looking for somewhere to eat before illuminations. Many places are booked but these are available. Thanks!!

San Angel is inside and has a bit more ambiance. La Hacienda has a view over World Showcase Lagoon from many tables. We like the food at both but prefer the salsa at La Hacienda. If you can get a table by the water the kids can watch the boats go by, but there is always the chance that a water-side table won't be available.

The volcano is really a non-issue. It is at the far side of the boats and doesn't really do anything. There is a bit of animation to it, but that's it.

If you can get reservations around 8 pm at La Hacienda, it's a decent place to watch Illuminations from. When you check in for your reservation, be sure to tell the host/hostess that you would like a table with a view of the lagoon if possible. They are not always able to meet this request, but it is worth asking. And if your table is not by a window, you are allowed to get up and move around for a closer view. The only major downside to this is that you can't feel/hear the booms like you would outside, and because you have a roof over your head, you don't get the full effect of the explosions. But it is nice not to have to stake out a spot. To me, this is the major advantage La Hacienda has over San Angel Inn if you're going to dine around time for Illuminations. I believe San Angel Inn is a good bit more expensive as well, but if you're on the dining plan that's a nonissue. Bottom line: San Angel Inn probably has more ambience, but if you'll be eating close to time for Illuminations and don't want to fight for a spot to watch the show, La Hacienda is a good option.

Both restaurants have a similar price point. Entrees run $20-25 each.

Just looked at both menus for the first time in a while, and you are right - they are closer in price than I remembered. I'd say it's more like $25-$30, though.

La Hacienda has food in the style of Southern Mexico, whereas the Inn is in the Northern and Central style.

I really like the service at La Hacienda. While their food is very good, I find the menu rather limited.

However, despite what others have said, I don't find it a good place from which to view Illuminations. Few areas have a good view, and some have none at all.

We definitely prefer the food at La Hacienda over than at San Angel- but this is probably personal preference.

We definitely don't like the dining experience at San Angel. It is dark and it is VERY crowded. Honestly, the tables are so crowded together that they might as well label it as "communal dining". We have found the service there to be lackadaisical as well.

While we like the dining room at La Hacienda very much, I would NOT recommend this as a place to watch Illuminations while you dine. You are usually not allowed to wait for a window table, and unless you are seated at one you won't have a good view of the show (or any view, at all). Better to make your ADR for an earlier time so that you can get out onto the Promenade in time for the show.

We ate at San Angel in 2007. It was the restaurant I was most excited for as I loved the location. The whole meal was just bad....the food was bad, the service was bad, it was so crowded. The servers were just flat out rude. And honestly, I think I could have gotten better Mexican from a Lean Cuisine. I realize they have redone the menu since then so hopefully it has improved.

Last year, at the last minute, we were able to get an ADR for La Hacienda. I didn't want to eat there at all. It was one of the best meals of our trip. The food was great. The service was exceptional. Even my kids, who aren't into Mexican food, enjoyed themselves and the food.

We ate at San Angel in 2007. . . . . I realize they have redone the menu since then so hopefully it has improved.
When La Hacienda opened (2010?), the Inn (they're both "San Angel") saw a noticeable improvement. My lunch that year was the best I had ever had there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter