Safe to drink from Beer Steins bought at Germany?

EnchantedDreams

Mouseketeer
My friend purchased a beer stein from the shop in the Germany pavillion in Epcot. He was hoping to use the stein to drink beer, but we were told by another friend that these steins are "for show" and contain lead paint and you should NOT drink from them. :eek:

Does anybody know if they are safe to drink from? The stein he bought was not a really large one, but smaller and appears to me to be smooth and ceramic. It does have a lid.

We would appreciate help on this one. Thanks!

I would think, and I may be corrected wrong, as the vessel would be normally used as a drinking aparatus, that if it was for show only, it would have needed to be stamped as such.

It's safe. If it weren't, there would be signs and cards and probably a beer meister yelling in your face you can't drink out of it. Or they would be fitted so you can't drink out of them. Or they wouldn't be sold at all.

Disney is so careful with things like that. I ordered an alcoholic frozen tea drink in China and was told twice it had alcohol in it.

Well, here is my input for what it is worth (see username)

• I have served hundreds of patrons beer from steins in Bavaria in my lifetime.
  • Millions of those every year are sold at tacky tourist shops all over Germany.
  • I was just watching an episode of Emergency! from about 1974, in which they discussed the fact that lead was no longer in paint. 34 years on, I think that it is safe to say the same.
  • Germany has some of the strictest laws governing quality control and ingredients in the world; unsafe products rarely make it onto the market and have to undergo very strict testing before they do make it on the market, and the mass produced beer steins sold at Epcot are also sold in Germany

I think that you will be just fine...

I agree, I believe they would be safe or otherwise marked. The only problem your friend will run into is if seen drinking from the stein around the parks managers will ask him to stop and put the stein away, as no glass/cermaic is allowed to be carried around.

They do have the collector acrylic mugs.

Here's something to help:

Many steins are made using lead based paint, but it will be marked on the stein with a sticker or a pressed stamp.

If it has a cover, open the top. If the inside is glazed it is safe.

It it looks chalky, then it's not.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter