SAB-One parent/2 kids?

2kidsForMe

Dreams of being a Guest without a Bag
Hi. The kids and I are booked at the Yacht Club for the end of August. Yay! However, DH will not be going along, so it is just me and my 9 and 10 year old. When we travel we like to spend a fair amount of time at the resort either in the pool or enjoying something to eat. My question is about Storm Along Bay. Since I am traveling alone, I am worried that I might have a tough and/or exhausting time keeping up with the kids there. They are good swimmers, but I still like to keep eyes on them at all times, without always having to be in the water with them. I know SAB looks beautiful, and people love it, but I am looking for some very honest opinions. Would it be too much for me? Last year we were at the Poly and it was great because I always knew where they were and what they were doing. Would GF be a better option pool wise? :confused3 Thanks so much!

I haven't stayed at the BC yet, but last year we were at the AoA and the pool is huge and there are obstructed views to all parts of the pool. I took all three of mine (ages 11, 8 and 6) to the pool by myself. What I did was ask them to stay all three together, and to stay in a certain section of the pool. If they wanted to go to another area, that was fine as long as they told me where they were going. I was able to keep an eye on them that way. It's easiest to see your own kids if they stay together. The pools are pretty crowded sometimes, and it's hard to even tell which kids are yours! I'd told them that if they split up, or if they went somewhere else in the pool without telling me first, swimming was over.

Our community center pool at home is like SAB -- it's got a lazy river, some slides, and a splash area. At home we usually go with other families, and I always make the kids buddy up so that they are never alone anywhere. If it's just me and the three of them, then I make them stay together.

Honestly, I think it will not be relaxing at all for you at the pool. In order to see them, you will have to follow them around (or swim with them), and following them around is not straight-forward. You'll be crossing bridges, walking around coves, trees, banks of chaises etc, it's not simply following the edge of the pool. You probably know this, but to use the big slide, the kids will have to cross the public walkway. It's not that big a deal, but it is hard to see. Also, the lazy river section of the pool is 8 feet deep with moving water and I would watch them closely in there.

That said, they are old enough to stay in an area of the pool when you tell them to. If mom needs a break, you swim only in this section so mom can sit for a while. It was hard for us to even get chaises, though. I think people must put their towels on the chaises in the morning on their way to the parks :confused3

I haven't stayed at the BC yet, but last year we were at the AoA and the pool is huge and there are obstructed views to all parts of the pool. I took all three of mine (ages 11, 8 and 6) to the pool by myself. What I did was ask them to stay all three together, and to stay in a certain section of the pool. If they wanted to go to another area, that was fine as long as they told me where they were going. I was able to keep an eye on them that way. It's easiest to see your own kids if they stay together. The pools are pretty crowded sometimes, and it's hard to even tell which kids are yours! I'd told them that if they split up, or if they went somewhere else in the pool without telling me first, swimming was over.

Our community center pool at home is like SAB -- it's got a lazy river, some slides, and a splash area. At home we usually go with other families, and I always make the kids buddy up so that they are never alone anywhere. If it's just me and the three of them, then I make them stay together.

I would say this too. Set ground rules, and make them stick to it. Have them Stay together, and stay in one area, and come tell you when they want to move to another section. It should be manageable. If there are no ground rules, and they are running amuck then it would be pretty stressful. They are old enough to be able to follow rules, so should be good.

I agree with the PPs about having them stick together. SAB is a really fun pool. There is a big section of it near where the slide ends with bubbles and a whirlpool where you can see them if you sit there. YC/BC is a great place and I think your kids will love the pool!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter