SAB 101

lenshanem

DIS Veteran
After viewing Targel's awesome SAB slideshow it has prompted some questions for me. I have only been there once and I stayed mostly in the shallow sandbar area with my littlest one and in the guppie bay kiddie pool while hubby took our then 4 year old over to the albatross pool and kiddie water slide, but that was about it. Sooo, I have some questions about the slideshow.

Sandbar - I noticed a lifeguard doing some activities with the kids. Is this all day or do they post a schedule somewhere for any games planned? And if so, what are the typical activities and for what ages?

Three jacuzzis?
One in the shade, one in the sun and one that has cold water?!? Did I get that right?

Do all sections have sand on the bottom?

The lazy river... Is this a complete circle like at the water parks? Could I then get on a float and just ride around in circles? (I'm talking sleeping here...LOL)
And I wonder why they made sections of it so deep? I don't like that for my 5 year old who is a little fish herself these days... Does a lifeguard watch over this deeper section?

Could someone describe the following areas to me? Is there something special about each one? What is the water depth in these areas, too?
snorkel cove
sinking sands
bubblin bay
whirling waters

The main slide...how much of it is in the tunnel? My oldest rode the slide fine at AKL, but this looks a lot more severe. Anyone had little ones ride this?

Any tips regarding SAB? I figure since we now own there will be visiting it a lot in the years to come.

Thanks for any info!

I think I can answer some of your questions. There are activities planned at certain times of the day, involving pool games. If it's not posted, ask a lifeguard, they should be able to tell you. (There is one guy in particular, I think, who leads the activities, but I can't remember his name.) IN addition to playing games in the pool, there's a treasure hunt that takes place in the pool and beach area in the afternoon.

All of the main sections have sand bottoms. I'm just not sure about the kiddie water-slide area.

The lazy river does go around in circles, but it's not as big as you'd find at a water park. Just a small loop.

I think the entire main slide is enclosed. My DD has been scared to go on it so far (5yrs old as of last trip.)

Hope this helps.

My daughter and son went on the SAB big slide at 4 and 5.

The slide is very fast in the beginning long straight away section in the the tube--then it opens up and turns and goes thru two water falls...I thought it was pretty intense as waterslides go..maybe I am a wimp. There was not sand in the bottom of much of the pool including around the bubblin bay--which is a part where they have water jets making bubbles in the middle of the pool..kind of like standing in the middle of a bunck of jacuzzi jets under you.

The Lazy River is not only small, but I have found there are sections you can get caught up. Sleeping would not work, as this small lazy river requires a little work to keep from sitting in one spot!

I have a question about SAB's hours.

I love to swim at night (no sunburn to worry about!) I have had many midnight swims at the Swan / Dolphin pool, during my stays at the Swan. When I stayed at "Dixie Landings" (now called Port Orleans Riverside) I also used the main pool in the middle of the night. (I think official closing time was at 10 pm.)

Is it possible to do this at SAB, or is there a fence or something that they lock at night? (I'm not asking about sneaking in for people who are staying elsewhere, I'm just asking about midnight swims for people actually entitled to use the pool.) Does Disney ever enforce the "10 pm pool closing rule", or is that rule there just to protect Disney from lawsuits? Every time I've had a midnight swim, other guests have been in the pool, too.

Everytime that we have been SAB is completely locked up at closing time. I always thought that it was a shame because it would be nice to take a leisurely stroll around it late at night.

The CM that runs the activities at the pool is Raouf. He has been there for about 5 years now. He usually runs stuff for the young ones in the mornings over in the kiddie area and plays water volleyball or water softball games in front of the pool shack where tubes can be rented, etc for older kids and adults in the afternoons. The treasure hunt is usually only once a week.

SAB is closed now at 8 pm every evening. It will go to 5 or 6 by December. Also, the lazy river section is not conducive to sleeping. There are just to many people around and so much noise with kids swimming etc that I can't imagine ever falling asleep. The area is very deep and I wouldn't recommend it unless your kid was a very good swimmer or had their life jacket on. Yes there are life guards but I would want to be with them myself in the deep area of the pool until I was sure they could handle it.

No late night swimming at SAB, but the quiet pools are open all night. I always go down for a swim after everybody else is asleep.

Originally posted by AMcaptured
...SAB is closed now at 8 pm every evening. It will go to 5 or 6 by December....

My, that is early! I suspect we wouldn't get much chance to use SAB, especially since I already have an annual water parks pass. I was mostly looking for a place to swim after the water parks close for the night. (I kinda like swimming -- can you tell? :smooth: )

Anyway, the information is very much appreciated. I had been thinking of staying at Beach Club for my trip this winter, but if SAB closes that early, I may go with Port Orleans - Riverside instead. That'll save me a pile of $$$! Thanks to everyone who answered my question!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter