S/O were you paid for chores as a kid?

I got $5/week allowance and there were certain chores that were included with that (Making my bed, emptying the dishwasher, putting out/taking in the trash cans on trash day, etc) and then I got extra for bigger chores like mowing the grass and helping with "spring cleaning".

Gotta say my Dad taught the value of hard work as a lawyers kid who could have been spoiled. Both my parents were Depression kids, no spoiling in house.
That is so important. I'm a softy, DH is the muscle. He made our kids shovel this winter, even though I thought they were too small (a foreign concept to my FL born self LOL). Their ears perked up when DH said they could shovel for money but, they were NOT happy that he went to the houses they did to double check their work, and made them fix what they missed. It took them twice as long as it should have and they didn't think it was worth it. The next time we had a storm they did it right and thought $20 for an hour of shoveling sidewalks wasn't such a bad deal!

I think kids need things like that to boost their confidence and instill that idea that hard work pays off.

I didn't have an allowance or specific chores. I just did what I was told to do. We didn't have a lot of money, it was me and my mom. As I got older, I did a lot because I didn't want to live in filth or I wanted to eat. I don't even really have recollections of my mom preparing food for me. I mean, I know she did when I was very little, but I don't remember any signature dishes or anything.
When things got dirty, we cleaned.

For my kids, I don't really want to do allowances because I feel like we would just be shelling out more money and then they would feel entitled to get cash from us.
I am starting to pay my oldest to do some things around the house...the big thing he is started is doing the dishes.

I got an allowance from ages 6 to 15...started at $1 per week and topped off at $5. At 15, I got a real job...I felt rich getting that $25/week paycheck!

My grandfather did give me extra money for picking up sticks in the backyard. 1 cent per stick, minimum 100 (so $1). He'd sit and watch me so I didn't break sticks to make more ;)

No, I had chores but I was never paid for them. I was given spending money as needed. When I was a young teen, maybe even 12 I started babysitting for spending money. Still had to do those chores at home though LOL

We didn't have enough to give me a consistent allowance so it varied between ask for what you need, chores for cash, or allowance. None of which usually panned out...
Got a job at 15 where I was volunteering as soon as I could legally do so.

No... But my dad owned his own business and I "worked" there since I was about eight, he paid me for that.

Same. Not paid for chores and no allowance. But I "worked" occasionally at my father's business and got paid.

Other money came from grandmother's/aunt's & uncle's birthday/Christmas gifts.

No. The only money we got as children was money for good grades. A nickel for a B and a dime for an A. This was obviously a while ago. We never got paid for doing what everyone in the home is supposed to do....and that is the basic household necessities....cleaning, dish washing, laundry, etc. Same went for outside tasks.

No we were not.
We didn't have too many indoor chores though.
It was mostly mow the lawn, trim the bushes, rake the leaves, shovel, help plant/pick veggies at the farm....
We also did not receive an allowance.
We never had designer clothes but always had new when we needed it like for the start of school etc.
My parents would let us purchase items that they deemed were worth the purchase anything they didn't think was worth it we would have to us birthday/Christmas money for.
We would get gifts at Christmas and on our birthdays.
And we'd get souvenirs when on vacation.
Christmas was always a big deal in our house and that's when we would get all kinds of things like barbies, video games, a trampoline...

Chores yes, allowance no. And while many will tell you being and only child is great I will say it stunk! I got all the chores, mowing, raking, cleaning, dish washing, etc. I did get money to do things but started making money away from home at the age of 11.

Yes. I had an allowance tied to chores. Started at $1.50 a week, then $5 when I turned 12 and started babysitting as well. At 16, I started getting $100 a month from my trust fund. (My dad was killed by a drunk driver and mum sued on our behalf as well as hers I go the full amount at 19 when I became an adult) Mum wanted to teach us money management skill in preparation of us turning 19.) It worked.

Nothing for regular chores, but I would get $5 for mowing the grass, starting around age 12. And I maintained the lawn mower too, changed oil and spark plugs when necessary.

I would gladly give someone $5 to mow my yard now, but I have 2 acres so the charge would probably be a lot more. :)

I got an allowance and $ to do things around the house. We didn't have formal chores...just keep your room clean kind of stuff. I believe my high school allowance started at $5 a week and topped out at $10. Beyond that, I was paid $20 if I cleaned the house...vacuuming, wet and dry mopping of hard floors, dusting, wipe down kitchen surfaces, and full bathroom cleanings (3 of them). I would sometimes help out in the yard... raking duties, since we had a lot of leaves in the fall and a lot of those awful gum ball sticker balls at various times of year. Payment on that varied based on how much of the yard I was able to cover (it was a big yard). The only thing we didn't get any payment for was cleaning up the dog's outdoor run. She was an inside dog, but we all swapped out poop clean up for her run ... payment being having a dog.

Really the only thing that was my responsibility was cutting the grass. And I was paid $10 when I was really young, then later on it became $15, and ended at $20.

Yes in the 70's a got a fat allowance by the standard of the day. I had more spending money than anyone I know.
I was expected to complete a yellow legal pad of a list daily and another full sheet weekly.
Not performing the chores would get me a back side that glowed and more work.
It was a little demanding of an elementary school kid but very rewarding as well.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter