RunDisney and Travel agents

DisRunner74

Earning My Ears
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone went through a travel agent to book/reserve their bibs, hotel and park tickets. I know the rules have changed for this year and now require all three to be purchased as a package.

My question is, if yes, has anyone received confirmation of their hotel rooms yet? I have been told repeatedly that pricing or quotes are not yet available and as such cannot book my rooms. I'm not looking to stay at one of the discounted pre-packaged resorts, which I get may not be ready for pricing to the public, but all other hotels are available to everyone else.

Thank you!

What race did you book?

From reading about past events since the new travel provider requirements, the hotel confirmations come way later.

I registered for the marathon online (no agent) but was able to use an agent for my hotel/park tickets.

I used one for the W&D Half in November and received my hotel confirmation within a day. It was automatically linked to my online account as soon as I was provided a confirmation number. I changed my mind on which resort to stay at (went from POR to AOA for the kids) and the change was made and new confirmation number issued the same day. Are you using one of the resorts designated as part of the package, or another one? We used a non-designated resort and got the regular rate, so that could be different. We originally booked in late April, 6 months out. Hope that helps!

It depends on how the travel agent is booking things. Our running club does not yet have our room block. If the travel agent is using a room block and guaranteed bib amounts (thus some are able to presell them) then it is possible they don't have the information yet. What race is this for?

It depends on how the travel agent is booking things. Our running club does not yet have our room block. If the travel agent is using a room block and guaranteed bib amounts (thus some are able to presell them) then it is possible they don't have the information yet. What race is this for?

I used a travel agent for two Disney races. For W&D last fall we got the hotel confirmation pretty quickly within a week or two of registering. For Dark Side this spring we booked with the TA 6 months prior but did not receive the hotel info until about 60 days before the race. I guess it all depends on the block of rooms they get as mentioned above.

I used a travel agent for two Disney races. For W&D last fall we got the hotel confirmation pretty quickly within a week or two of registering. For Dark Side this spring we booked with the TA 6 months prior but did not receive the hotel info until about 60 days before the race. I guess it all depends on the block of rooms they get as mentioned above.

runDisney also changed everything at the start of the 2016 race season making it incredibly difficult on race groups and travel agents. I think the races are selling so well Disney wants to make it hard for groups to get in because they don't want to pay the commission fees to travel agents over these packages. Our team even had to have new rules and such and we went from getting about 50 of us into every race to getting maybe 20 spots. Not 100% sure as I took this year off from racing.

I am hesitant to ask this question- but why use a travel agent? I registered for the PHM and already booked my room/park tickets and it was so simple online.

I am hesitant to ask this question- but why use a travel agent? I registered for the PHM and already booked my room/park tickets and it was so simple online.

Some travel agents sell guaranteed bibs so those who couldn't get in through regular entry can still go. The problem is you have to get a room (and possibly tickets) through them as well. On top of that the travel agents have pretty good room discounts. I have used one before when I wanted a bib but they were sold out through runDisney. Thankfully it was before the rule change so I didn't need a room and tickets too.

Agree with @wilkeliza - when it comes to runDisney I think most people who go through a TA either do it to avoid the stress of registration day (so people had purchased packages BEFORE registration even opened, and packages included a race entry) or they get a bib afterward - for example, I saw a post on Facebook yesterday from a TA that still has Wine & Dine bibs, and those races sold out almost immediately.

Agree with @wilkeliza - when it comes to runDisney I think most people who go through a TA either do it to avoid the stress of registration day (so people had purchased packages BEFORE registration even opened, and packages included a race entry) or they get a bib afterward - for example, I saw a post on Facebook yesterday from a TA that still has Wine & Dine bibs, and those races sold out almost immediately.

What Ariel484 first says above is exactly why I went through a TA for my families Dark Side race bibs. I wasn't going to be online the morning due to travel when they went on sale for one, secondly I was going to register 3 of us and to be honest I was nervous with it being the 1st Dark Side, that demand would be huge (it wasn't bad). Best of all we were all set weeks before registration day and had no stress worrying if we'd get in. I know I paid a little more for the races but for the reasons mentioned it was worth it to me. For this race we were not required to buy park tickets but a 2 day minimum stay at a resort was part of the package. Oh, and another nice thing was that if needed we could cancel up to a certain date and get a refund which again was nice peace of mind.

You can also cancel your race registration (usually with a small fee) up to a certain date. Going the traditional route, you can only defer (also with a fee and only during a set window). Adding an additional race is a lot easier as well. I used a TA for this year's GSC and added the sold-out 5k in January.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter