Run, Write, Run (comments welcome!)

nancipants

DIS Veteran
Hello everyone! With my recent plunge into running and goal of signing up for a half marathon next year, I thought I'd start one of these training journals. Lucky for me, I'm also a writer - a much better writer than runner, actually! 🤣

About me: I live just outside Disney World and am an annual passholder. I also am obsessed with Disney Cruise Line and will be doing my 9th cruise later this year. 🚢 In January I turned the answer to the life, the universe, and everything (42). I work full time as an instructional writer for a software company. I'm married to my wonderful husband and we have a toddler who keeps me on my toes. Infertility meant I became a mom later in life than planned, and trying to keep up with a very active toddler made it clear how out of shape I was. In 2021 I signed up for the 2022 Princess 5k with a group of friends and decided I was going to actually train for it! Newsflash: I didn't. I'm also a writer, and I was in the thick of finishing up a science fiction trilogy to be published by a small press, and that became my main focus.

I walked the majority of the 2022 Princess 5k, and despite feeling very out of shape, I had a ton of fun. My friend and I tried to sign up for the Marathon Weekend 2023 10k but got shut out, but were successful with the Princess 10k. I also persuaded my husband to walk the 2022 Wine and Dine 5k with me. My books came out in September-November, and I decided to take a much-needed break from writing. I started to train for the 10k, but a 3 week trip to Seattle over Christmas (and knee pain) set me back.

I finally started training at the beginning of January using 30/30 run/walk/run intervals. I also watched a bunch of livestreams from runDisney races to get me pumped and familiarize myself with the actual timed races. At first, my goal for the 10k was simply not to get swept. To my surprise, I found I actually enjoyed running! I have NEVER enjoyed running. Winter is the best time to be outside in Florida (my apologies to everyone else in the country), and while I love my family, I am an introvert at heart so I savor every moment I get to be alone in the sunshine with my thoughts or my Spotify playlist. Also to my surprise, I wasn't as slow as I thought I'd be. I usually have very poor endurance, but the running/walking intervals made it so I didn't feel like I wanted to die. Currently, I run 30 minutes Monday and Wednesday with a long run Friday while my husband takes my son to daycare. (I feel so lucky that my remote job allows me to wake up at a normal time and still get in a run before starting work.) My pace has been hovering around 13:45, well ahead of the balloon ladies, and my goal has shifted to finish in less than 90 minutes.

I have also learned that running is the perfect hobby for me as a writer. Writing stopped being a hobby for me around 2013, when I started working toward the goal of being published. Although it's not my full-time job, I am now a paid novelist, so I write everything with the goal of someday selling it. Running, on the other hand, is something I will never be able to monetize. On the contrary, runDisney will take all my money. :D And I love that the physical goals of running work a completely different part of my body than writing. My overall goal is to alternate months of writing deadlines with training for longer races.

Anyway, thanks to everyone who read this far! My training isn't super intense right now, and probably won't be until later in the year when I start working toward the Princess half (assuming I'm successful in registration, haha). I'm looking forward to meeting you all and having some accountability so I keep up short runs even while in the thick of writing!

Welcome to the madness—there’s no escape! 😁😁

We usually arrange various meetups at every race weekend, and you can find the details on the individual weekend threads, everyone is welcome, including any non-runner friends and family.

Welcome to the madness—there’s no escape! 😁😁

We usually arrange various meetups at every race weekend, and you can find the details on the individual weekend threads, everyone is welcome, including any non-runner friends and family.
Thank you! I'm hoping to meet some of you all before the 10k. :)
Welcome and good luck with your (future) training...... And don't forget your towel.
Thank you! I feel there's an inside joke here. :D
Excited to follow along!
Thank you!
Welcome!!!! Looks like we know who to go to with Disney Cruise Line questions! 9 cruises wow!
Thanks! And yes, DCL is what initially brought me to these boards. I love them. Now I need a Castaway Cay 5k medal. :)

Welcome! And if it's not against the rules, and you're okay with sharing, what are your book titles? I know I'm not the only one on this forum who is always looking for the next great read.

Welcome! And if it's not against the rules, and you're okay with sharing, what are your book titles? I know I'm not the only one on this forum who is always looking for the next great read.
Thank you! :)

I will DM you. :)

Pro: I ran a practice 10k this morning and finished under my 1:30 goal! My 2nd and 3rd miles were especially fast. I didn’t have to pee at all during my run, nor did I feel hungry. It was HOT and I ran two hills. I listened to my body and walked more in the last two miles and still kept an under 14:00 pace.

Cons: Where to start. My neck started hurting around mile 4. It was ok when I ran, but worse when I walked. Around mile 5, my back started killing me. I was able to power through and it feels fine now after stretching. I’ll have to incorporate some neck and back stretches before my long runs.

Other than being sore, I felt pretty good after my run. I wasn’t overly thirsty, hungry, or tired. I had a piece of bread and a honey stinger waffle beforehand. But I knew I had to hydrate and eat more because I woke up super early this morning and couldn’t go back to sleep, and being tired/dehydrated gives me bad migraines. I drank water/Gatorade, stretched, took a shower, and got settled at my desk for work. Then I ate: eggs, bacon, and a banana. I think I ate too fast and a migraine hit me at the same time the food hit my stomach because I got nauseous. I didn’t take my migraine medicine, which was dumb, and around lunch time I felt terrible. I’ll spare the details, but it took migraine meds, two doses of Pepto, and a meclizine tablet until I finally started feeling better. Then I got hungry because hello, calorie deficit, and it reminded me of when I was pregnant and super nauseous all the time but also needed to eat. :P (No, I’m not pregnant, that factory is closed, LOL.) Husband cooked me some pasta and I finally feel normal again.

So, I’ll chalk this up as a learning experience I’m glad I got over with before the actual race.

(I am very grateful my in laws are in town and I didn’t have to pick up my son from daycare today. Also that he’s staying there tonight. 🤣)
6260976D-F35E-4535-AEEB-43B3214F92B6.jpeg

Congrats! That's great that your run went well.

Do you carry water during your run? One time I ended up with a massive headache after a run (and I never get migraines), and somebody on here said maybe it was because I was dehydrated. At the time, I thought that couldn't be it, but in retrospect I think they were right. I carry a handheld water bottle if I'm going to be out for more than an hour and a hydration vest if it'll be more than about 80 minutes (depending on weather).

Glad you're feeling better now!

Congrats! That's great that your run went well.

Do you carry water during your run? One time I ended up with a massive headache after a run (and I never get migraines), and somebody on here said maybe it was because I was dehydrated. At the time, I thought that couldn't be it, but in retrospect I think they were right. I carry a handheld water bottle if I'm going to be out for more than an hour and a hydration vest if it'll be more than about 80 minutes (depending on weather).

Glad you're feeling better now!
Thanks! I do have a Nathan handheld bottle, but I probably need to remember to drink more, especially since I run in warm temps. I’m so focused on not needing to pee. 😝

Finished another week of training! 8 days to go before my first 10k. :eek:

Ran 30 minutes Monday and Tuesday, felt good after each run, and my pace was under 13'30" both times!

Today I did 5k, and I finished in 39:38! My first sub-40 5k and I wasn't even trying! I ran way too fast and I'll pay for it later, but I'm proud of my time!

I also think I pinpointed why I felt sick last Friday. I was feeling fine after today's run until I took a sip of my gatorade, and then I started to feel slightly queasy. I didn't have any after Monday and Tuesday's run. 🤔

Still feeling positive about next week's race. Before the race is another story. I get anxious when I'm "stuck" someplace, like in a line or the corrals, and when I get anxious, I have to go to the bathroom, which makes me MORE anxious because I can't leave where I am. 😬 Hopefully I can breathe through it and I'll be okay once the race starts.

I get anxious when I'm "stuck" someplace, like in a line or the corrals, and when I get anxious, I have to go to the bathroom, which makes me MORE anxious because I can't leave where I am.
This goes against the conventional wisdom but you should consider lining up in the back of your corral. It's less crowded and you can easily exit & re-enter until they close your corral. Depending on your pace and corral, it could make the race itself a bit more crowded but you wouldn't feel stuck.

This goes against the conventional wisdom but you should consider lining up in the back of your corral. It's less crowded and you can easily exit & re-enter until they close your corral. Depending on your pace and corral, it could make the race itself a bit more crowded but you wouldn't feel stuck.
Thanks. I have considered this. I got to the 5k corrals around 4:30ish and was pretty close to the back both times. It was great at first, but the anxiety hit once we started doing the shuffle to the start, which I didn't cross until 5:45.

But if I'm at the VERY back, maybe they'd let me out if I needed it. Of course, being with the balloon ladies would probably make me more anxious. LOL, I'm a mess. :P

Thanks. I have considered this. I got to the 5k corrals around 4:30ish and was pretty close to the back both times. It was great at first, but the anxiety hit once we started doing the shuffle to the start, which I didn't cross until 5:45.

But if I'm at the VERY back, maybe they'd let me out if I needed it. Of course, being with the balloon ladies would probably make me more anxious. LOL, I'm a mess. :P
I've never done a rD 5K, but that shuffle to the start for a 10K is stressful. I try to forget that part exists 😆

RACE WEEK!

Since I'm local, I don't have to worry about booking travel or logistics for race weekends. Also since I'm local, I don't get to travel or go on vacation for race weekends. :P But friends were coming into town so I took Thursday and Friday off as a mini vacation. Thankfully, my in-laws have also been visiting for several weeks, so they were able to pick up my son from daycare on Friday and keep him overnight.

I did my usual 30 minute runs on Monday and Thursday. (Had to shift from Wednesday for a doctor appointment.) I told myself I was going to go slow but my paces were still 13'14" and 13'27". I seem to be defaulting to that range during all my runs lately, so I'll use that as a baseline for when I eventually start training for a half. I felt good after both runs and did the hill both times as practice for the 10k overpasses.

Went to Hollywood Studios on Thursday and the Expo, then Animal Kingdom on Friday, so all that walking was a good warm up. I also did a lot of stretching.

At the Expo I bought a new headband and sunglasses. Broke the rule of "nothing new on race day" with the headband, but I had an old one stuck in my pocket just in case. I ended up loving it, so I'll have to buy some more. I didn't have to break out the sunglasses during the run, but they were great afterward.

I went to bed around 8 pm on Friday night. Woke up a few times but thankfully got a good amount of sleep before my alarm went off at 2:30 am. Bleeeeech. Threw my race clothes on, washed my face and brushed my teeth, and made toast. I was smart and got my bag together the night before. I ate toast while I drove and made sure I finished my water bottle. I got to Epcot around 3:30 and immediately ran into another friend who was running the challenge. We got to the staging area right when they opened the corrals and everyone was streaming inside. This, of course, made me nervous because 1) I wanted to be near the front of D to have a good buffer on the balloon ladies, and 2) the aforementioned anxiety I get from being stuck places for a long period of time. My friend held a spot for me while I went to the bathroom and waited for my other friend. We settled in sometime between 4:20-4:30. I was going to make one more bathroom run before the race started, but everyone stood up and smushed together when A corral started moving around 4:45. I started to get nervous but breathed through it. I stopped drinking water as soon as I got to Epcot, but of course I still had to pee as we finally started making our way to the start line. Once we got to the back of the start chute, a few people darted out to the porta potties. I really should have joined them but I was too nervous about losing my spot. My friends and I wished each other good luck and agreed to separate. I felt really bad because one of my friends was feeling super nauseous and not sure if she was going to be able to run, much less finish. I spotted the balloon ladies during our shuffle and hoped it was the last time I'd see them.

I finally started at 5:53. My anxiety was fine, but my bladder was not. Thankfully, the adrenaline from finally starting the race kicked in and I was able to just focus on running. I ran for the first few minutes to break away from the crowd, then switched to my 30/30 intervals. Someone in the Princess thread mentioned liking the highway miles despite the boredom because it allows you room to run, which I also found to be true. I took a selfie after going through the Epcot toll booths, then again mile marker 1. I use Nike Run Club to track my runs, and for the first two miles the tracking was pretty much in line with the race mile markers.

The first incline didn't bother me much, thankfully, I tried to coast down the ramp as much as I could. Then we FINALLY hit the first round of porta potties (couldn't there have been some earlier???) and I got in line because I knew there was no way I could make it to Hollywood Studios. I silently groused at everyone darting into the woods behind and wished I had a funnel. :P The five minutes in line killed my pace but I felt so much better afterward. I filled my water at the next station and ran a bit more after that to catch up. I found my friend (who'd passed me while I was waiting) and was so glad to see she was still running and hadn't needed the medical tent. I walked with her during my interval and then went ahead. Took another selfie at MM2, again my app still pretty much synced with the race distance.

Then we hit the dreaded cloverleaf. I focused on my intervals and powered through. All the hill training in my neighborhood really helped and I didn't find myself very out of breath once I reached the top. Mile marker 3, another selfie. Got more water going into Hollywood Studios. Then the real fun began! I loved running through the park, as short as it was, and made sure to pose for as many photopass photographers as I could because I wanted at least one good action shot. Heading out of HS, we hit mile marker 4, and my app started to get ahead of the course distance, I'm assuming due to all my weaving around people. That got even more pronounced while on the path to the Boardwalk. It's just impossible to move in a straight line if you're trying to run. I filled up my water at the fountain near the bus stop bathrooms. (Due to the heat, and my tendency for migraines when I don't drink enough water, I was really focusing on hydrating.) I loved running around the Boardwalk, it's one of my favorite places. I hit mile 5 on my phone before the race course, but that was fine with me because it was during the incline leading to International Gateway and I knew that was the last big challenge for me!

Into Epcot and my pace was improving. I was hoping to finish under 1:30 and I knew it'd be close. I ran a big more and turned off my music since I couldn't hear it anyway. Side note, I ended up not following 30/30 very strictly, mostly because I couldn't always hear my cues. Note for future races. (And a reason I need a watch with built-in intervals. I'm taking suggestions!) The Canadian CM was waving a HUGE Canada flag so I ran over to get a selfie with him, then got one with Spaceship Earth in the background. Running through Epcot was a huge boost at the end of the race. I loved the Jammitors and the choir. My app told me I hit 6.2 around the time we were running under Guardians and I laughed. Then the real finish line came into view and I ran the rest of the way. I saw Minnie and all the crowd and I got super emotional. I was so proud of myself that I finished my first real race. And best of all, it was fun??? Sure, there were parts that were annoying, but I never once felt awful or like I couldn't finish. My feet were killing me by the end because of all the standing around I did beforehand, but there's nothing I can do about that except hope for an earlier corral next time.

I collected all my items, found a place to sit, downed the water and ate the best banana I've ever tasted. My friend finished about 10 minutes after I did and I was SO happy for her. She found me, we took some photos, and then headed back to her room at the Pop where she graciously lent me her shower. We had Ohana breakfast which was very good and fun, but I was starting to get so tired by then and a migraine was kicking in. I took my migraine meds, drove home, and took a much-needed nap. Note for the future: take a nap before any celebratory meals.

So that's my first race experience! My official time was 1:31:47. I would have hit my goal if I hadn't had to wait for the porta potties, so I'm calling it a win. I don't feel bad about stopping for selfies. I didn't hit any characters, the lines were way too long and I was worried about pace. Next time! I was also very happy when I saw my finish line photos and noticed the people behind me were in the C corral, meaning I passed them! :)

And yes, I am definitely signing up for the Princess half next year. I woke up Sunday morning and immediately started tracking everyone I knew running and had major FOMO. Once again I wondered, who AM I? I want to find a 5k to run this year as well. I'm also considering signing up for the marathon weekend 10k as part of training for the half.

Now that the race is done, I'm hoping to keep running three times a week to maintain fitness, and incorporate some strength training as well. I'm starting writing my next book this week, so that will take up the majority of my time as Florida turns into a sweltering mess. I'll start focusing on half marathon training in late October/early November, which gives me a nice long deadline to finish the book.

tl;dr - I finished my first 10k well ahead of the balloon ladies and within spitting distance of my goal time. I had a blast and can't wait to do it again, but with the half marathon.

Last edited:
Some photos (mine):

Attachments

• 2A1FA1E3-78FA-420C-B41D-D1E399552D9E.jpeg
    2A1FA1E3-78FA-420C-B41D-D1E399552D9E.jpeg
    58 KB · Views: 13
  • 34406AB0-C0EF-49E3-8771-674B6D8A31BF.jpeg
    34406AB0-C0EF-49E3-8771-674B6D8A31BF.jpeg
    56.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 37A194E6-5D9A-4BAB-BF9F-16CE555818CD.jpeg
    37A194E6-5D9A-4BAB-BF9F-16CE555818CD.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 11
  • F9B2F65D-452B-4963-B425-A9FE29DFBF61.jpeg
    F9B2F65D-452B-4963-B425-A9FE29DFBF61.jpeg
    60.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 3D8C0FFB-4661-4157-8AD8-E9E082DAF501.jpeg
    3D8C0FFB-4661-4157-8AD8-E9E082DAF501.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 06E5F61D-7F4A-4D7A-A1AF-D4AE34187391.jpeg
    06E5F61D-7F4A-4D7A-A1AF-D4AE34187391.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 10
  • D82E9CF1-0C61-4D4A-9523-FE6C9F5F9B78.jpeg
    D82E9CF1-0C61-4D4A-9523-FE6C9F5F9B78.jpeg
    132.4 KB · Views: 10
  • AC5663DC-583B-4D0E-B3FC-07E3D86C4E0E.jpeg
    AC5663DC-583B-4D0E-B3FC-07E3D86C4E0E.jpeg
    39.1 KB · Views: 11
  • E3D2121F-A105-423F-9FF2-30B2DFA65125.jpeg
    E3D2121F-A105-423F-9FF2-30B2DFA65125.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 167E438C-B005-481C-B3C0-75792D3050F0.jpeg
    167E438C-B005-481C-B3C0-75792D3050F0.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 11
Some photos (Disney’s):

Attachments

• 0E9680F1-FF1A-4DB1-B76D-A1C77FC5BE88.jpeg
    0E9680F1-FF1A-4DB1-B76D-A1C77FC5BE88.jpeg
    50.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 15E1096B-E731-4C63-8A39-1420DCA08016.jpeg
    15E1096B-E731-4C63-8A39-1420DCA08016.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 2BE01D4A-898F-41D1-ABEC-0BC3A36B5862.jpeg
    2BE01D4A-898F-41D1-ABEC-0BC3A36B5862.jpeg
    51.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 9E32C465-A71A-4064-BAD5-34FD58BF09FE.jpeg
    9E32C465-A71A-4064-BAD5-34FD58BF09FE.jpeg
    47 KB · Views: 11
  • 411649AE-7A1F-4CE9-8E71-148DDE3D3719.jpeg
    411649AE-7A1F-4CE9-8E71-148DDE3D3719.jpeg
    42.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 9BC13302-DAA3-4512-942C-0F4C4D76FFAD.jpeg
    9BC13302-DAA3-4512-942C-0F4C4D76FFAD.jpeg
    56.1 KB · Views: 11
  • 3C2DFBBA-A414-4CC0-AF64-F127B3DE29E3.jpeg
    3C2DFBBA-A414-4CC0-AF64-F127B3DE29E3.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 9C7BC3AF-B3F7-46E4-8BAA-3B5CF35F8422.jpeg
    9C7BC3AF-B3F7-46E4-8BAA-3B5CF35F8422.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 765CD2E7-12CD-4AD5-BD71-BC49EF003B40.jpeg
    765CD2E7-12CD-4AD5-BD71-BC49EF003B40.jpeg
    80.8 KB · Views: 12

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter