RPR or Sapphire Falls (and buy Express Pass)

Discussion in 'Universal Orlando Resorts & Hotels' started by Luisfba, Dec 6, 2017 at 11:48 PM.

1. Luisfba

Luisfba Mouseketeer

(first time staying at UO, and first time going in about 15 years - since before kids - .. been going to WDW but my 12 year old wants to try something new)

Planning on going April 17-21. We are a family of 4 (two daughters - 12 and 8). When we do WDW we usually stay at a 1 BR villa. We enjoy the extra space.

I was looking at Royal Pacific (King Suite), but was wondering if staying at a Kids Suite or a Sapphire Suite with an extra bedroom (priced similarly) in Sapphire Falls (and buy the Express Pass bundled with tickets) would make more sense in order to get a bit more space. The pool also seems great as it has a slide and the RPR doesn't.

What do folks think? How would the two compare if the EP is taken out of the mix as a key differentiator?

Thanks

2. damo

damo Proud Redhead

Sapphire Falls is the newer hotel, fresher hotel and that is always nice. Commute distance is very similar.

3. Avatar

Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  4. kniquy

kniquy DIS Veteran

You really need to weigh the cost factor to the space and amenities. For us - we are 7 traveling together (we will be in a 2BR at AKV prior to our UO stay) -- we felt that the express pass was worth it to sacrifice our room size (we are just getting 2 studios). It depends on how much time you will be spending in the room and at the resort pool. If you are going to include volcano bay in your park tickets then you will get your fill of pool slides there, thus making RPR with the express pass a win. We are traveling at the same time as you, well the 21st-24th - so it is a fairly busy time with it being spring vacation for many schools.

If you are up in the air then write down all the cost factors with each resort and look at youtube videos of each resort and see which your family wants -- sometimes the financials are the deciding factor.

5. HM

HM My tag from the Tag Fairy is now too long to use.

We have never bought EP when we've stayed at a resort without it. I've visited US/IOA several time staying offsite and at Cabana Bay. (We had stayed at HRH and RPR and loved them). We've been in the summer, december and spring break and haven't really missed having EP that much. With three park days you should have plenty of time to get to rides that get lines before they get too long. Our usual day is up for EE and out of the park before noon....pool time....back to park in the late afternoon. It's worked great.

I'd go with whichever resort you like. If you stay at Sapphire, don't buy EP until you get there and see how it goes the first day. It will definitely save you some money.

We are staying at Sapphire next week with 3 1/2 park days and pool time as usual if the weather cooperates. No EP.

6. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Last trip (April 2017), we stayed at RPR and noticed that the line for the water taxi from City Walk was pretty long almost consistently for Sapphire Falls. Normally we take that with a grain of salt, but it became so noticeable that it scared us off from staying there next trip. Not sure if that's been others' experiences or if it was a freak thing that we saw, but I'd be looking into that if we ever plan to stay there in the future.

But having said that, does the walking path connect over to Sapphire Falls as well? I know when you get near RPR, there is a bridge that leads over by Cabana Bay. Do you go the same way for Sapphire Falls? We haven't tried it.

7. saskdw

saskdw DIS Veteran

I bet people that are staying at Cabana Bay were taking the water taxi to SF and walking across the street to CB.

nkereina likes this.
  8. nkereina

nkereina Last chance to lose your keys.

Ah, that makes sense. I haven't been over there so I didn't know how the logistics are. I bet that is what's happening!

9. HM

HM My tag from the Tag Fairy is now too long to use.

Yes, the walkway that goes to CB goes past SF, too.

nkereina likes this.