RPR club level etiquette

Candice30

World's Greatest Aunt! -- or so the kids tell me.
i have heard reports of excessive "tipping" at disney resorts on the concierge level. is this true as well on club level at RPR?? a friend went to one of disney's deluxe resorts and staff members hung around to be tipped for everything. and not just your usual housekeeping tip, or bellhop tip, but also if she called down for extra towels or for a stool so her son could reach the sink and even in the concierge lounge. i mean what are we staying concierge for?

just wondering what is was like at RPR and if any of you who have stayed there experienced this. i want so badly to stay club level but certainly cannot afford all the tipping if this is true. what kinds of things did you find yourself tipping for? is it welcomed or frowned upon at RPR?

thanks.

I don't think this is the case at RPR. You should always tip housekeeping. Only tip people if they go above and beyond other than housekeeping. Not sure if towels would constitute that or maintenance, etc.

I've stayed on concierge four times at Disney - I tipped the concierge only once when they did something special for me (took a lot of time, etc...)I've never felt "pressured to tip" (or any indication at all that it was expected) in any of the lounges. The only obnoxious people have been Disney bell hops - you'll tip twice coming in and twice going out (one guy gets the bags out of the car , another takes them up to the room - to me this is a rip off - it should be the same guy if you can get in your room right away. One time I DID have the same guy and he expected to be tipped TWICE. This is just a pet pieve (sp?) of mine......

Anyway, generally if you ask for towels or pillows for the room and someone brings them up you should give a dollar or two. Anytime someone brings something to you. Handing you a stool for your child that is already in the lounge shouldn't qualify.

It really is a judgement call.

I usually keep folded dollars in a certain pocket for tips so I don't fumble around for them (and over tip or whatever). It's just part of the budget.

Yeah i keep a seperate wallet for tipping as well as u say its part of the budget but have to say it really annoys me when people expect to be tipped for doing their job i know that in the states its common practice which is why i always tip but i refuse to reward someone for bad service at any time but don't u think it strange that we tip for someone carrying the bags when thats what they are paid to do or the likes what do all think:jester:

i certainly don't see why you should tip the same bellhop who gets your bags from the car twice if he takes them to your room as well. i was suprised on my last trip to animal kingdom lodge in august. i guess because i didn't get out of a car, they didn't feel that they needed to assist me. we took the shuttle last time and got our own bags off the bus and took them inside. my room was ready so we took our bags ourselves to the room. i agree that this is what they are paid for and i don't like feeling like i have to tip them to take my bags but i usually do anyway!

i usually do not like to tip if i ask for extra towels. personally, i don't think anyone outside of the waiter/waitress, and maid should be tipped when staying club level. how much did you guys budget for such things in the past?

Okay, I really wish I knew the proper etiquette myself. I do tip on club. Once tipped a large amount at the end of my stay to the girl who gelped me make all my reservations for a family trip that included 25 people, she did a lot for us!
Now, what I have been doing is leaving $5.00 each happy hour and breakfast on the table. Sometimes if they do something extra I will hand it to the person, like one time the girls packed a huge bag of waters, cookies and fruit for our ride home so I tipped her. Another time my kids were late for the cookies and milk hour because we had dinner plans. When we came back they had saved a huge plate of cookies and a pitcher of milk and brought it down to our room along with two glasses of wine! That won her $5.00 tip!!
Just the way I do it.

Geez! And I thought I was a great tipper! We have stayed in concierge many times and have never tipped for anything other than housekeeping and valet. I believe that is why you are paying extra for concierge in the first place, they are there to make reservations, call cabs, etc. What I don't like are the valets who want a tip even when they don't get to your car for a long time and you have to sit and wait for 10 minutes even after calling from the room 20 minutes earlier. I also have the single bills folded and ready, but I don't hand them out to everyone.

Originally posted by Candice30
i certainly don't see why you should tip the same bellhop who gets your bags from the car twice if he takes them to your room as well. i was suprised on my last trip to animal kingdom lodge in august. i guess because i didn't get out of a car, they didn't feel that they needed to assist me. we took the shuttle last time and got our own bags off the bus and took them inside. my room was ready so we took our bags ourselves to the room. i agree that this is what they are paid for and i don't like feeling like i have to tip them to take my bags but i usually do anyway!

Well the people that take your luggage in the beginning is the valet guys. Then when the luggage is brought to you that is the bellman. It is a tipped positioned so they get paid by peoples tips.

Also even if you tip a concierge at Disney they must turn it into their manager as soon as possible. Otherwise they will be terminated or suspended.

Originally posted by Cris
Well the people that take your luggage in the beginning is the valet guys. Then when the luggage is brought to you that is the bellman. It is a tipped positioned so they get paid by peoples tips.

Also even if you tip a concierge at Disney they must turn it into their manager as soon as possible. Otherwise they will be terminated or suspended.

I never knew that! Why do they accept them in the first place? Couldnt, shouldnt they just say I'm not allowed to take tips? I have never had a tip refused. That's awful.

In England we tip the cab driver, the hairdresser and removal men - milkman and postman and window-cleaner at Christmas and in restaurants 10% of bill.

In the States, you do seem to tip everyone.....!! which is a bit daunting to know how much and when?!!

So am I doing it right?!: I was told in NY in restaurants it's 20% of the bill. Everywhere else 12.5%-15% in restaurants and bars, 5-10% in cabs, hairdressers, etc.

I usually tip the person who takes all the bags to the room couple of dollars. Should you tip the guys at the entrance of hotels who whistle for a cab? - I don't. Can't think of any other incidences. Do you always tip the person who brings anything to your room - even if it is something that should always have been there? and do you tip the people who repair anything in the room? These two I wouldn't tip.

I was told by a girl that the wages are very poor and that's why they rely on tips - to make up their wages to what they should be....is that correct? She said that employers take into account the fact that they should be tipped even if they aren't.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter