Royal Pacific- not a premier hotel anymore?

ckelly14

DIS Veteran
I received a nice glossy brochure through the mail about Sapphire Falls. My understanding is that Sapphire Falls will have Early Entry but not Express Pass. Royal Pacific currently has both. This brochure suggests that Royal and Sapphire are in the same class of hotel:

sapphire%20falls_zpsikppvr3u.jpeg

Anyone know what's going on??

I think that is terrible (well.... maybe that is a strong word....) . How are you going to put two hotels in the same "category" yet give one hotel a significantly better perk? I'm not trying to be sassy.... I just don't understand it. Someone help me understand the reasoning! Does it come down to the average price of the room? If that is it, why not offer SF the EP perk too? JUST ASKING! Don't attack me for that suggestion! LOL

That is going to confuse so many people! How many people will book SF thinking they get EP?

If that is it, why not offer SF the EP perk too? JUST ASKING! Don't attack me for that suggestion! LOL

That is going to confuse so many people! How many people will book SF thinking they get EP?

That is reason why there were so many rumors about RPR losing the EP benefit, (which, don't flame me, would be more consistent with the pricing/category structure) (I had to bold the word "rumors" to avoid restarting said rumor :p )
We now know that, so far, there is no plan to remove EP from RPR, or add EP to SF.

But you're right, it's rather akward having 2 hotels in the same category but with different perks.
But I guess the guest who's savvy enough to know about onsite EP perk will also be able to discover that SF doesn't have EP :)

Looking at that brochure, I do have to wonder what they are thinking. I think the wording and category placement are just going to lead to confusion for people who may not know much about Universal.

I think that is terrible (well.... maybe that is a strong word....) . How are you going to put two hotels in the same "category" yet give one hotel a significantly better perk? I'm not trying to be sassy.... I just don't understand it. Someone help me understand the reasoning! Does it come down to the average price of the room? If that is it, why not offer SF the EP perk too? JUST ASKING! Don't attack me for that suggestion! LOL

I can't imagine dropping $$$$ on a vacation without learning about my chosen hotel.

you'd be amazed at how many people throw thousands of bucks down for their vacations and still get caught by "insufficient research on basic things" ... (no offense meant to anyone)
you can even witness it here, on this forum where DISers are people who have a real interest in planning their holidays. How many here have discovered there was a parking charge at Uni hotels ? That was just an example, but if they hadn't come here, they would have had a shock upon check out ...

Most people do read the information when they book a hotel.

Many want to know about room types, amenities, hotel requirements, etc, before they book.

It's not like they book an onsite hotel the day before they leave on a trip.

Driving done I 75 to Orlando and deciding to stop for an overnight at super 8 can be common, but staying at UO onsite, many know a lot about the hotels before they even check in.

you'd be amazed at how many people throw thousands of bucks down for their vacations and still get caught by "insufficient research on basic things" ... (no offense meant to anyone)
you can even witness it here, on this forum where DISers are people who have a real interest in planning their holidays. How many here have discovered there was a parking charge at Uni hotels ? That was just an example, but if they hadn't come here, they would have had a shock upon check out ...
Like anything in life, especially these days, "buyer beware"!:scared1: If you want the maximum experience when you are purchasing a product or service, due your research, due diligence. It pays off being well informed. Additionally, advance research doesn't waste valuable vacation time, "figuring it out as you go". :eek:

I agree that *most* people do the research.... so maybe you're right- people won't be confused. But why the different perks for each hotel when they are in the same category?

Rpr has always been a convention hotel for the most part

SF is another convention hotel

Pbh also holds conventions but not at the level of rpr does

That is only my opinion
Can't say or speculate any other reason why they are in the same category

I can imagine how confused people can be. I've had people who order the same food for many years and do not know that the Egg McMuffin at McDonalds for example has canadian bacon on it. That is only one example. Food industry and the hotel industry are two completely different things, but they still deal with customers and customer service.

Yes, a lot of people do their research, but not everyone, and people can come up with some pretty interesting statements and claims. Some of them are "facts" they claim to be true (when they are not), sometimes it's matter of opinions, or assumptions.

One time working at a concert a few years ago a woman brought her daughter and friend to a concert and was upset that the concert was almost over, because "it was supposed to last three hours". Why was that? Because "when I was younger concerts lasted three hours!"

For the most part, I'm sure people can separate the two and know what kind of benefits they will be receiving, but I can imagine that if I was up there at front desk that I will get a few people a week, or perhaps even more making a, "I thought staying here means you get express pass!" statement.

Rpr has always been a convention hotel for the most part

SF is another convention hotel

Pbh also holds conventions but not at the level of rpr does

That is only my opinion
Can't say or speculate any other reason why they are in the same category

That's what we were told when we asked. I believe it to be true.

It doesn't take much research for people to see the differences between the hotels at all..........as pp says buyer beware........know what you're buying into..........simple.

we were so close to booking SF for christmas break until we saw there was no Express Pass. That killed the deal, we'll be staying at HRH

Most people do read the information when they book a hotel.

Many want to know about room types, amenities, hotel requirements, etc, before they book.

It's not like they book an onsite hotel the day before they leave on a trip.

Driving done I 75 to Orlando and deciding to stop for an overnight at super 8 can be common, but staying at UO onsite, many know a lot about the hotels before they even check in

yes, especially those who book one nighters at RPR for the cheapest way of getting EP

but when you see how many people are not aware of FP+ at the Mouse, when it's advertised all over the place, or think they need to pay for them ... Or when you hear "guest situations" when guests do not undersand how Cast Members could be so poorly trained that they don't know where Harry Potter is located in the park ... when they really are at Disney's Hollywood Studios ... (and they will insist they've done research and last time they came, it was here ... yeah we all know that type :p )

The issue, I think, is that IF a guest has read, or has some experience with RPR, they may assume that, IF RPR and SF are in the same category, both hotels should share the same perks, and that would be a fairly logical assumption

I agree that this doesn't excuse poor planning, and if guests get caught, then it's on them.
But if you go shopping for beer. If it's on the same shelf as other beers, and if it's written beer on the label, then you expect to get a buzz from it. Even if you fail to notice that it's really written "root beer" ... that would mean it was not put in the right shelf. IYSWIM.

chmurf, you totally called it...no matter how they classify the hotels, there will always be "those guests"...like the ones that think Disney can control the weather, and just turn on the rain to sell ponchos ;)

If I'd not been to Universal before, even if I KNEW that SF did not have EP, I would assume it would have a "trade off" since it is in the same category (and assuming price range) as one that has EP.

I wonder if we will see an upsurge of posts once SF opens?

I think that they are really going to push Sapphire Falls as a convention hotel. Those people don't need the express pass. That should free RPR up more for park guests.

They really need to just eliminate the categories. They aren't helpful in the least.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter