Roxymama's 5k to Marathon, Time to Collect Another Castle

I'm a big fan of layering...but that can get very hot in the summer and while jogging so I have empathy for other people who want to be covered up to some degree for whatever reasons.

I'm also really big on layering - in the winter I usually wear a long sleeve shirt, and a jacket, and a fleece vest. In the summer layering is harder, but I still do it sometimes. But yeah, it gets really hot sometimes, so I try to stick to either really light layers or just a thin long sleeve shirt. It's definitely "easier" to go out in shorts and a tank top in the summer, but not so modest.

Last night my daughter wanted to run with me. She and I held hands and ran up and down the drive-way. That made my heart happy.
I asked her "who likes to run" and she said "MOMMY!"

I'm sure she'll be sad next time I want to run again without her, but I'll savor that moment.

Tonight we have the Hawks playoff game, part two of the Bachelorette and me needing to run on the treadmill. Such a full evening. #firstworldproblems.

Last night was one of those "I'd rather eat pie and watch the Bacherlorette on my DVR than go to the gym" kind of nights. But both my Dad and my husband gave me the "go running...you've been training too hard for your race this weekend" type speeches. So I put my big girl pants on and went to the gym.
I had a long streak of doing my runs outside so I did not quite expect how different the treadmill would feel this week. It really is a different sensation especially with my noodley tired legs from the busy day. I did C25K week 6 day 3. 5 min walk warmup, 22 min jog, 5 min walk cool-down. I only jogged at a 5.0 speed, just did that speed the whole time. Never got overly sweaty or tired but it was just one of those days where that was all I wanted to do. I had the "Inside the Magic" podcast in my headphones but I don't think I registered much of what they were saying..I just kinda tuned out the world. One of those days where I needed to have a "tuned out" moment.
Then I came home and watched the Bachelorette and ate some pie. True Story.

This Saturday is my 5k race and I think I will hold off on jogs today and tomorrow. My knee was feeling a little teeeny bit sore and I don't want to tweak anything. My next C25k run is supposed to be 5 min walk, 25 min jog, 5 min walk = 35 min. Instead I'll be doing the 5k race and plan to try to jog as much as possible while allowing myself 1 min or 3 min walk breaks if I need them. And If I cross the finish in 35 minutes or less I will be doubley happy. Actually I'll be super happy just finishing it.

Last edited:
I think it's important to just focus on finishing and not worry about the time. It will be awesome if you can finish in 35 minutes or less, but remember that you're not used to running in race conditions, so it might be a little different than what you're used to. No matter how long it takes you to finish and how often you need walk breaks, it'll be a great feeling when you finish your first race, and that's all that really matters!

I totally agree with @SarahDisney !

Running your first race is really exciting and totally different from training - even when your training is on the streets.

Feeling the crowd and the race atmosphere makes you feel even stronger, and suddenly you realize that you should have started running long before! And don't worry about jogging all the time, just listen to your body and you'll be fine!
Enjoy your race!

Agree with the others - if this is your first race, be aware of the hype that you will feel at the starting line. For the first half mile or more, the energy of those around you will make you feel like you are capable of running much faster. This can become a problem. Even "listening to your body" doesn't help you here, because you feel stronger. But if you come out faster than your body can handle, you risk a serious bonk during the race, or an injury.

You want to feel great about this race, so run the race that you have been planning and training for. Don't let the hype allow you to try something that might turn a positive into a negative.

Good luck!

Definitely what @BuckeyeBama said! But also, enjoy the whole vibe and adrenaline and experience! You'll learn a lot from this one and be able to adjust your preparation for the next one!

Sorry it took awhile to get to updating. We were in vacation mode but are now back home.
My Aunt and hubby and daughter came to cheer me on at the Candy Race 5k in Cincy. I probably got there a little too early but at least it allowed me to do a warmup walk, stretch and go to the bathroom three times. Yes, I get nervous bladder syndrome. I'm glad I dressed in sparkly pink because there were so many people in really bright outfits and A LOT of tutu's. Those seemed itchy to me.
I'd say there was maybe 400-500 racers. So a small race and I was happy about that.
I got my race bib and shoe chip and had to laugh that I got #9. I never did see anyone with a lower number. Just shows how crazy early I registered. Or they thought I was super elite, yeah right, haha. Hey I was traveling two states to go there :)
The only hiccup I had was I started too far back. The instructions they gave us was walkers in the back, but I was about right in the middle and when we started I had to jog through about 10 rows of people walking blocking the whole road all the way across. Next time I'll get closer to the front...I just didn't want to get in any speedy peoples way!
My hubby later told me people in the very front started off walking too and I was not the only zig zagger.
Before the race I saw a woman about my age jogging and I said she jogs about my speed. Somehow we ended up around each other the whole race and I did kind of pace off her whether she realized that or not. I didn't talk the whole race but one day that may come.
The first section was two laps of the same area and I dreaded that but ended up loving it. My brain said " hey I know I can do this again because I just did it"
The whole rest of the way was along the river and was so pretty. We got lucky with weather in the 60s that morning.
There were some small hills and I'm not used to that. But I managed it. Running down also a learned skill ( don't want to face plant!)
I jogged at my running in the neighborhood pace most of the race. I know I turned it on a lil when I saw certain mile markers coming or when I had to get around someone (because I can get competitive). I took my first walk break at mile 3 water station. I just don't know how to drink and run and my father in law said it's his method to walk those. My running partner (that didn't know she was my running partner) took two other 30ish sec walk breaks during mile 3 and I just did behind her too. I think it helped me run quicker to take them. The last section was really flat and I knew how close to the end I was because I'd walked that far in my warmup. So I flat out ran the last .2 miles. The finish line was downhill too. I saw 31 something on the clock and freaked out. My gut said I was like 36 or more...guess not. I never looked at my time the whole course just kept my rhythm and listened to my music. My gun time was 32:02 and my chip was 31:33. I'll take it! Finished 104th...I'll take that too! 24th in my age group.
I got my big medal and lots of snacks and my family went and played on the playground and watched the rest of the people come in.
I think my favorite part (other than finishing) was during the out and back part, I saw a group of the really fast guys coming by. And then a string of like 15 women who were just hauling it. And they were every age imaginable. I was giving them thumbs up and I doubt they saw me.
My daughter was sad to see me run and cried a lot while I was racing. She will outgrow that. I want to be healthy for her, both physically and mentally.
I had fun and know I really have that run bug. I didn't die, I didn't ever feel like I was going to either. Success!!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a great race and a great time!

I'm proud of you for doing this, not only for yourself but for your family.

When's your next race??

Sounds like you had a great race and a great time!

I'm proud of you for doing this, not only for yourself but for your family.

When's your next race??

My next one is June 11 and it's a night 5k. So totally different. Also running w a friend. Should be fun. Now I have more confidence.

Sounds like a great first race, and they will just keep getting better as you get used to the experience and learn where to start and how to handle the hills.

Great time & I'm proud of you for doing this (and I'm sure your family is too - and your daughter will get used to mommy running races and learn to love it!)

Get used to the tutus ... you'll see a lot of them at Disney! I think my favorite was a guy wearing a tutu and Maleficent ears, which just seemed so weird to me. People seem to love them, so I guess people don't mind the itchiness...

Congrats! So proud of you and one day soon your daughter will let you know that she is too...such a great role model you are!! (That's my Yoda impersonation)

I walked a ton this weekend and had my 5k, but I have not ran since. My little girl got a pretty big doozy of a virus this weekend and we had to cut our family trip to Cincy short and came home on Sunday. She's been spending the days with her pawpaw at home while I work and I've somehow gotten a case of the crud (with fever) too. I got pretty depressed last night about not being able to go to the gym like I planned, but I knew if I was feeling light headed walking to my couch that a run was not a good idea. I'm feeling better today but I'm on full mom duty tonight. So Thursday is my goal to get back on the horse. I'd like to do 2-3 miles even if they are a slow 3 miles.

Well I did my 2-3 miles (2.92 via the C25k app and then walk rest of way home...so somewhere above 3 total.) I was thinking of doing treadmill because it was already after 8pm when I started changing into my running gear. But my hubby talked me into taking advantage of the nice weather and trying to run outside while being safe. I just condensed my course into two loops closer to my house so I was never very far away. And to be honest...the sun never fully set until I was done. And I stuck to heavily street lit areas inside the big block of houses in my neighborhood. And wore neon pink.

And now some thoughts on being at week 7 of the C25k app while I already ran a 5k. I'm running another 5k on 6/11 so I will "graduate" a few workouts after that one if I keep going with my app.
The app lumps the warmup walk and cooldown walk into the total distance and total pace. I used to be so hung up on getting to my 3.1 miles or as close as possible that I would actually speed-walk these segments. I realize that was kind of silly to do now.
So last night I did true warmup in the 14:00min pace, nice and easy. And my cooldown was a slooooow 16min into even 18min at the end. (When I say slow, I mean slow for me. I'm a notoriously fast walker even in everyday life and I don't mean to diminish anyone else's slow or fast, haha...PC moment)
I just decided to really focus on running well and at a good comfortable clip during my 25 min of actual jogging.
By the time I graduate my app I will be up to 30 min of jogging which is just around where a PR would be for a 5k for me anyways.

So my next steps are.
1) Keep on going with my app.
2) 6/11 run with my friend in a night 5k and not really focus on more than being there for each other and having a really fun time.
3) Finish my app.
4) ???
5) try for a PR at 6/27 5k in my neighborhood on my home turf aka the route I run all the time
6) profit???

So I need all of your help on the ??? What to do once my C25k is over and then what to do past June. I don't need to be an 20 min 5k-er...but eventually doing just one in the sub 30's would be insanely awesome. Even just being able to keep up my current very low 30's would be ideal.

10K ... 10K ... 10K ...

Also, I love the Cards Against Humanity reference. ;)

Haha, I should have put a disclaimer that said "Keels - I already know you will say 10k"

So I guess I'll ask this question first. What's the best way to get better at the 5k so that I then can kill it at an 8 or 10k? Keep putting in the miles...or work on speed and form. Or both. Or everything?

Longtime lurker, first time poster...do I see an underpants gnomes reference in your latest post?? :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter