ROTR lottery needs to end.

For everyone that gets a BG, it feels like a great system, but when you don’t get one and it happens multiple times (3 out of 3 for us this past time), it really really really stinks. We’ve done it before, so it’s not like we didn’t know how to go about it. I can only imagine how it feels to be on a one time trip and not be able to get one. I really don’t understand people berating others for not liking the VQ. It is stressful. Just giving my two cents for all those being shut down, you’re not alone in thinking the VQ stinks. FP+ and or other options need to exist.

For everyone that gets a BG, it feels like a great system, but when you don’t get one and it happens multiple times (3 out of 3 for us this past time), it really really really stinks. We’ve done it before, so it’s not like we didn’t know how to go about it. I can only imagine how it feels to be on a one time trip and not be able to get one. I really don’t understand people berating others for not liking the VQ. It is stressful. Just giving my two cents for all those being shut down, you’re not alone in thinking the VQ stinks. FP+ and or other options need to exist.
I don’t think anyone is berating anyone for the opinion. The problem is that those who dislike the VQ haven’t been able to come up with a better (feasible) option.

I don’t think anyone is berating anyone for the opinion. The problem is that those who dislike the VQ haven’t been able to come up with a better (feasible) option.
Having come across the thread and reading through it, the tone seemed berating. I know it can be difficult to interpret online tone sometimes. It just seemed harsh. I don’t think it is our job to come up with a better solution. That’s for the minds at Disney to come up with. ROTR is a brilliant attraction. It needs an equally brilliant solution for boarding.

Having come across the thread and reading through it, the tone seemed berating. I know it can be difficult to interpret online tone sometimes. It just seemed harsh. I don’t think it is our job to come up with a better solution. That’s for the minds at Disney to come up with. ROTR is a brilliant attraction. It needs an equally brilliant solution for boarding.
Well, I think many are responding to the title of the thread which states “the lottery needs to end”…. Which naturally leads to the question of what to replace it with that would be better. But I get your point, and it’s fine to vent. And I understand it’s frustrating to be unsuccessful in getting a BG.

Disney has all sorts of things they could do. Right now, the heavy reliance on the latest phone technology, a strong WiFi signal, and fast figures is ridiculous.

Disney could limit the number of times a Guest can experience ROTR in a year. There are some who have bragged about getting Boarding Groups more than 100 times.

Alternatively, Disney could have a 30-minute sign-up window in the morning, giving everyone with a park reservation an equal chance to sign up for a lottery. Then, at 7:00 Disney could randomly assign a subset of those Guests to Boarding Groups.

Disney could do a combination of the two.

The current system is infuriating for those who have never experienced ROTR.

The current system is infuriating for those who have never experienced ROTR.
Yup. For us it was a major bummer not to be able to do it, but it didn't ruin our day because we had done it before. I felt so bad for the families that I saw taking their phones out of their pockets at 1pm, not knowing that it was already too late to even try. Even if one reads how the boarding group attempt works before they go on vacation, unless they read forums like this, they wouldn't know just how difficult it is. Doing everything 'right' and not getting it, is bummer enough.

yes that was us today, did all the practice last week. thought we were getting through in practice. then tried today, didn't get BG at either time. We have never have ridden the ride. Literally was a main reason we wanted to come back to WDW. My DD broke down and cried in the heat when everyone else (seemingly) cheered at 1pm around the Millenium Falcon outdoor queue when they got their BG. really sucks. Took a while to get back in the disney spirit after that. We've now had to rearrange our plan for tomorrow to try again. and we are sort of resigned to not getting to ride it this trip. but leaves a bit of a negative taste.

limpet- I hope things work out for you tomorrow. I’m sorry today went the way it did. It shouldn’t be this way at all. Hang in there. I’d consider speaking with guest services tomorrow if it doesn’t work out and explain why it’s such a bad vibe/situation. Disney vacations are supposed to bring happiness. I know guest services may not be able to do anything about it, but voices need to be heard.

limpet- I hope things work out for you tomorrow. I’m sorry today went the way it did. It shouldn’t be this way at all. Hang in there. I’d consider speaking with guest services tomorrow if it doesn’t work out and explain why it’s such a bad vibe/situation. Disney vacations are supposed to bring happiness. I know guest services may not be able to do anything about it, but voices need to be heard.
Well today my DD's teenage thumbs got us boarding group #23! so third time's a charm... very excited. I agree that the vibe yesterday just wasn't good. I can't imagine what people do who don't know these rules and methods-- it took us three times and we were "on it"!!? thanks for your message.

Well today my DD's teenage thumbs got us boarding group #23! so third time's a charm... very excited. I agree that the vibe yesterday just wasn't good. I can't imagine what people do who don't know these rules and methods-- it took us three times and we were "on it"!!? thanks for your message.
Yay! Very happy for you!

I truly feel that practicing is overrated.

Now, if it is something you want to do to help get your Disney fix for the day and build some of the excitement for the trip - then by all means plug ahead. I get that.

However, I think running through the process once is generally enough if all you are trying to do is get a BG out of it. All you need to do is figure out where the buttons will pop up on the phone. I practiced one time before our trip (a successful 1:00 pm practice). I then just showed the rest of the family where the buttons would be and what to do. First day my daughter got our BG, second day my wife got it. Neither had ever practiced.

I think the biggest thing to do is to make sure you are following the rest of the tips on here (check to see if wifi or cellular is faster; use a separate device to count down from time.gov; use the ATAT method; etc.). The actual clicking of buttons really is not a complicated enough process that you need to practice it over and over.

For me, the value in doing some practicing (not everyday, but at least 5-10 times prior to my visits) instead of just going through the process once to get familiar with it, was that I encountered glitches several times when practicing and learned how to react if something unexpected happened.
If a glitch occurred on the day it counted and I had just looked over the screens once, it's a lot more likely that I would have been floundering for those few precious seconds instead of knowing immediately how to try and salvage the attempt.

Looking at the changes DL made to their AP (going with the Keys) changes like that may come to WDW - thereby taking some AP holders out of the mix - offering up more chances for the out of staters who've never ridden. I too despise those that re-ride over and over...

Congrats! My go to advice has always been to put the fastest phone in the hands of the teen in your group!

Is it correct in assuming that there's no way I could get into ROTR if I didn't show up at park opening? I was hoping to make HS a half day on the day we flew in, but I would like to experience ROTR.

Is it correct in assuming that there's no way I could get into ROTR if I didn't show up at park opening? I was hoping to make HS a half day on the day we flew in, but I would like to experience ROTR.

No that has no impact on getting on ROTR. You have to use the virtual queue at 7am which you can attempt to access anywhere. Or if that doesn't work 1pm after scanning into the park.

You should read up on the the boarding group thread. Read post 1.

No that has no impact on getting on ROTR. You have to use the virtual queue at 7am which you can attempt to access anywhere. Or if that doesn't work 1pm after scanning into the park.

You should read up on the the boarding group thread. Read post 1.
Will do. I thought I remembered you had to be at the park to access the virtual queue. I guess that was old information. Apologies.

Yup. For us it was a major bummer not to be able to do it, but it didn't ruin our day because we had done it before. I felt so bad for the families that I saw taking their phones out of their pockets at 1pm, not knowing that it was already too late to even try. Even if one reads how the boarding group attempt works before they go on vacation, unless they read forums like this, they wouldn't know just how difficult it is. Doing everything 'right' and not getting it, is bummer enough.

I met a couple in the park yesterday who had NO idea about the boarding groups - I told them to set a phone alarm for 12:55 and showed them where to go on the app. I hope they got it!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter