rope drop timeline

FriendoftheHatter

Earning My Ears
Hello all,
I'm sure this information is already out there somewhere so feel free to just point me to the right thread. I couldn't find it. At WDW, my family always tends to get there when we're ready and close out the parks so we're not very experienced at rope dropping. At DLR though, due to lots of advice here and the time zone differences we want to try to be early people. I'm not looking for strategies about which rides to go on first.

Here's my question:
1. What's the usual timeline when the park opens?
(I'm looking for something like:
1.5 hr before official park open - security lines open
.5 hr before - they start scanning people through turnstiles & hold you at this place
etc)

2. How does this change if i'm using MM in DL?
3. How does this change if it's a EMM in DCA but I'm not using it?

Thanks in advance!

I think it tends to vary ... when we were there this week for a 7 AM EE, we arrived at security a little before 6 AM, no line, no wait, hardly anyone there. They started letting people through the turnstiles at about 6:45 and held at the rope until 7. When we went on a non-EE day when the park opened at 9, they didn't even do a rope drop. In the past, I've been there when they started letting you through the turnstiles closer to 7:30.

On our EE day, I saw non-EE guests waiting at the rope about 7:45 but it's possible they'd been there longer.

I've heard they open security at 5 but haven't been there that early to personally experience that.

I rope-drop nearly every Sunday. Here's my strategy (for an 8:00 opening -- adjust accordingly for your opening time):

· Arrive at the parking structure (unless you’re walking from a nearby hotel) at around 6:45. At that time, security lines are relatively short and you
can go from your car to the gates in 15 minutes or less (or your pizza’s free ;-)).

· Arrive at the park gates no later than 7:00. Like most things at DL, lines get long quickly. Typically, guests are admitted at around 7:45. I go
straight to the rope.

I know you’re not looking for ride strategies, but FYI, Fantasyland fills up quickly – Peter Pan and Alice especially. Space Mountain lines also get long early. Lines for Pirates and Haunted Mansion are still relatively short at 9:00 (an hour after park open).

Hope this helps! Have a great time!

The ropes are in the hub at each “spoke” to go to the different lands.

Interesting! I assumed it would be a single rope. I've only ever experienced the actual rope in Epcot, where it's by the (former) Inno doors.

Where is it at DCA? I think I saw something somewhere that on EE days, guests that aren't doing EE can get in line for Soarin early? is that true?

Interesting! I assumed it would be a single rope. I've only ever experienced the actual rope in Epcot, where it's by the (former) Inno doors.

Where is it at DCA? I think I saw something somewhere that on EE days, guests that aren't doing EE can get in line for Soarin early? is that true?
DCA has a rope by Ariel’s for those going to Pixar Pier. And 2 ropes by Carthay. One heading down towards cars and one to Hollywood land.

Sometimes DL has a single rope at the end of Main Street. Sometimes, they do the ropes to each land. I don't know the rhyme or reason for why they choose the single rope or the per-land ropes.

At DCA, yes, often you can get in line for Soarin' early. We were definitely in the building before the park opened, but that was on a non-EMH day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter