• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

Thanks! My plan is to get there at 7 on Friday and book it over there with the rest of my party. Is 7 early enough? I could not believe it was $20!! We are going with 2 friends who have never been to Disneyland.
Honestly I would get there earlier than 7. By then the line at security will probably be very backed up. Maybe closer to 6:30. Once security opens you want to get through as fast as possible and then find the shortest line into the park, preferably closer to the left. Then once they let you in you want to hurry to the rope close to Frontierland and wait there until they drop it at park opening. Then hurry through Frontierland, past Thunder, into Galaxy’s Edge, and all the way over to Rise. It’s very tiring but worth it

Honestly I would get there earlier than 7. By then the line at security will probably be very backed up. Maybe closer to 6:30. Once security opens you want to get through as fast as possible and then find the shortest line into the park, preferably closer to the left. Then once they let you in you want to hurry to the rope close to Frontierland and wait there until they drop it at park opening. Then hurry through Frontierland, past Thunder, into Galaxy’s Edge, and all the way over to Rise. It’s very tiring but worth it
Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it so much! I think we are definitely going to buy Genie Plus since we are only going to be there for 2 days but I was trying to avoid to Rise so I can buy more drinks and food, lol. Is LL for Webslingers and Racers $15 on Friday or $7?

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it so much! I think we are definitely going to buy Genie Plus since we are only going to be there for 2 days but I was trying to avoid to Rise so I can buy more drinks and food, lol. Is LL for Webslingers and Racers $15 on Friday or $7?
I think it’s usually $7 Tuesday-Thursday, $12 on Monday and Friday, and $15 on Saturday and Sunday

Great info thanks for this thread. I will be going to Disney for the first time in May with the family. A couple questions. Why do you say to wait until after 1pm to use the ILL? I assume that is just to get the other rides out of the way first, but want to clarify.

Also, as mentioned it will be our first time. We will do 4 days (2 at DLR and 2 at CA). I feel that at least one of the days at each park we would want to take our time and see the sights and sounds. I’d like to follow these plans on the other day though if the kids will keep up :). I know it all depends on which sights I want to see, but can anyone point me in the direction of a “strategy” for first time visitors?

Great info thanks for this thread. I will be going to Disney for the first time in May with the family. A couple questions. Why do you say to wait until after 1pm to use the ILL? I assume that is just to get the other rides out of the way first, but want to clarify.

Also, as mentioned it will be our first time. We will do 4 days (2 at DLR and 2 at CA). I feel that at least one of the days at each park we would want to take our time and see the sights and sounds. I’d like to follow these plans on the other day though if the kids will keep up :). I know it all depends on which sights I want to see, but can anyone point me in the direction of a “strategy” for first time visitors?
1 PM is when you can park hop. So if you’re starting in California Adventure you can’t go to Disneyland until 1. It’s not like it’s bad or anything to use ILLs (or regular LLs) before 1 but you literally can’t if it’s in the other park. If you’re not in that park any LL you reserve (individual or as part of genie+) will change to 1-2 PM. So if you’re starting in California Adventure and want to guarantee an ILL for Rise you can buy it but the return time will be for 1 PM.

Sorry, can’t really help you with a strategy unless you can say what you want to do (or in other words what the strategy is for). Do you want to do all the big thrill rides over and over? Do you want to do each ride once and enjoy the shows and take it all in? Do you want to just go with the flow besides planning out the big rides like Rise? There’s so many strategies and so many ways to do Disney and there isn’t one right one, just what you enjoy the most

Not sure where you may be staying, but if it is a Disney Hotel or even a nearby hotel, I would recommend taking rest breaks.
Better to be at Rope Drop and ride attractions hard until about 11am-12pm, then take a break back at the hotel and come back later in the day and enjoy the park at night.
This way you will miss out when the park is busiest and have enough energy to see the parks when they are at their best (rope drop and night time).
If Fantasmic or World of Color are back, look into the Dining and Dessert packages, makes it much easier to see those shows with a package.

From what I understand, previously with FastPass it was a good idea to rope drop DCA and head to RSR, and also get a FP. Now that RSR (or Web Slingers) is on of the ILL options is rope dropping it still a good idea? Or has it become one of those “don’t do it unless you’re fast” things?

From what I understand, previously with FastPass it was a good idea to rope drop DCA and head to RSR, and also get a FP. Now that RSR (or Web Slingers) is on of the ILL options is rope dropping it still a good idea? Or has it become one of those “don’t do it unless you’re fast” things?
If you are okay with only riding once and spending money on ILL you can just buy the ILL.

If you want to ride twice or save money on ILL then you should rope drop the attraction you want to ride twice or not pay for.
From my experience WS queue tends to get lower later in the day. RSR remains long all day.
Just know you cannot get LL unless you scan your tickets into the park first.

I ended up getting Touring Plans but I'll also be getting Genie+ just to have the LL option in my back pocket if needed. I question some of the wait times noted in the plan, so if needed I can look to use a LL to get back on track. Has TP been pretty accurate with their times lately? For instance it is calling for only a 16min on May 22nd @ 9:30am for Web Slingers, and 26min @ 10am and 8pm for Radiator Springs Racers. I would have assumed these rides would already be around the 60min mark by then?

Question regarding ROTR ILL. What time do they usually stop selling them for ROTR? And what is the likelihood that I could get one for 3:30? I guess the same question for WS and RSR in California Adventure? I'm just not sure if there are so many factors it could be 50/50 or if it is normal to see them for every couple hours or so until they are sold out...which I believe can happen, correct?

Last edited:
We haven't visited in several years, and I desperately want to ride ROTR. We were all set to visit this time 2 years ago before the rug got pulled out from under us 2 days before our flight was due to leave because of Covid. I had prepared for WEEKS with boarding group strategies and everything!!! Ughhhh!

Anyway, to say I'm anxious to ride ROTR is an understatement. I will definitely buy the ILL to ensure I get on. My goal is to get on as early in the day as possible!

My first full DL day is Sunday March 13. I will have G+. It also happens to be the last day of Pirates before it shuts down for refurb on the 14th. What is a good strategy to get on both ROTR ILL and Pirates LL in the AM without having to do a standby line?

We haven't visited in several years, and I desperately want to ride ROTR. We were all set to visit this time 2 years ago before the rug got pulled out from under us 2 days before our flight was due to leave because of Covid. I had prepared for WEEKS with boarding group strategies and everything!!! Ughhhh!

Anyway, to say I'm anxious to ride ROTR is an understatement. I will definitely buy the ILL to ensure I get on. My goal is to get on as early in the day as possible!

My first full DL day is Sunday March 13. I will have G+. It also happens to be the last day of Pirates before it shuts down for refurb on the 14th. What is a good strategy to get on both ROTR ILL and Pirates LL in the AM without having to do a standby line?
SUPER EASY... ROTR ILL does not sell out fast, Pirates does not offer LL, but if you are in line before 930am the wait shouldn't be too long. The next time it is short is around 5pm. Especially if there is Fantasmic showing, there will be no line during that first show at 9pm.

SUPER EASY... ROTR ILL does not sell out fast, Pirates does not offer LL, but if you are in line before 930am the wait shouldn't be too long. The next time it is short is around 5pm. Especially if there is Fantasmic showing, there will be no line during that first show at 9pm.

Oh, I thought Pirates was LL. So definitely need to do it in the early am.

Any chance I could get on ROTR with ILL right away, and then go over to Pirates after and still have a decent wait?

I am trying to come up with a sample timeline for my day, with 1-2 hour LL return times estimated (I know it will be packed). Does this look do-able?

1. Scan into park 7:30 - 8am. Book ILL right away for ROTR for 8am-10am (Is that overly optimistic??? Lol)

2. Book LL Millennium Falcon right away for a 10am-12pm window (or do I need to scan into ROTR before I can book MF? Does it matter if I book ILL before LL? Can these two return times overlap?)

3. Head over to Pirates at 9:30 after riding ROTR. Plan a 1.5 hours for wait and ride.

4. Finish Pirates at 11am. Head over to Millennium Falcon and scan in. Book LL Indiana Jones for 12pm - 2pm.

5. Finish MF at 12pm. Head over to Indiana Jones and scan in. Book LL Haunted Mansion for 1:30pm - 3:30pm.

6. Finish Indiana Jones at 1:30pm. Head over to Haunted Mansion and scan in. Book LL Space Mountain for 3pm - 5pm.

7. Finish Haunted Mansion at 3pm. Head over to Space Mountain and scan in. Book LL Star Tours for 4:30 pm - 6:30pm.

8. Finish Space Mountain at 4:30pm. Head over to Star Tours and scan in. Book LL Buzz for 6pm - 8pm.

9. Finish Star Tours at 6pm. Head over to Buzz and scan in. Book LL for It's a Small World for 8pm - 10pm.

10. Finish Buzz at 8pm Head over to It's a Small World and scan in.

11. Watch Fireworks from It's a Small World.

Obviously this is pretty jam packed. I'd honestly be happy to fit in half of this, and finish the rest on day 2. But this would be my goal - and squeeze in meals and shopping in between.

I'd love any input - thank you!

Obviously this is pretty jam packed. I'd honestly be happy to fit in half of this, and finish the rest on day 2. But this would be my goal - and squeeze in meals and shopping in between.
Reason to book RISE for later (after 10am), is so that you can use the first two hours to experience attractions on your list without using LL at all.

ILLs and LL are on two different systems. So can book back to back.

For example (based on your list), Space Mountain first, then Indiana Jones (keep an eye on LL and ILL return times book Falcon LL while in line, you and Rise around the same time, looking for something around 10am or 11am), Pirates, Mansion, all using Stand By. All can be done easily before 10am (this is with an 8am opening).

Last edited:
Reason to book RISE for later (after 10am), is so that you can use the first two hours to experience attractions on your list without using LL at all.

ILLs and LL are on two different systems. So can book back to back.

For example (based on your list), Space Mountain first, then Indiana Jones (keep an eye on LL and ILL return times book Falcon LL while in line, you and Rise around the same time, looking for something around 10am or 11am), Pirates, Mansion, all using Stand By. All can be done easily before 10am (this is with an 8am opening).

Thanks! That seems pretty optimistic for a Sunday during spring break, but if standby is the way to go in the early am, that's good to know!

Booking Rise at 10am or later will take will power... I'm not gonna lie! Lol!

Since ILL for Rise is independent of G+/LL, doesn't it make sense for me to use a LL if I can get onto something right away upon entering the park? Then I can book the next LL right after I scan in to that ride, and maybe one that has a longer return time?

I thought about booking LL for Indiana Jones right upon entering the park (since it seems to break down a lot, and we missed it on our last visit because of that) - which seems to be a good strategy if we can get in right away, and then head to Pirates after. And maybe get into MF with LL before our ILL booking for Rise at 10am. I'd be happy to even get just those four rides in by 10am!

Thanks! That seems pretty optimistic for a Sunday during spring break, but if standby is the way to go in the early am, that's good to know!

Booking Rise at 10am or later will take will power... I'm not gonna lie! Lol!

Since ILL for Rise is independent of G+/LL, doesn't it make sense for me to use a LL if I can get onto something right away upon entering the park? Then I can book the next LL right after I scan in to that ride, and maybe one that has a longer return time?

I thought about booking LL for Indiana Jones right upon entering the park (since it seems to break down a lot, and we missed it on our last visit because of that) - which seems to be a good strategy if we can get in right away, and then head to Pirates after. And maybe get into MF with LL before our ILL booking for Rise at 10am. I'd be happy to even get just those three rides in by 10am!

If I rope drop I start using LLs after 1pm. However, I will book a LL early to just try and get an open LL that I can use later.

I usually ask the plaid CM host at the podium near Plaza Inn before Roper drop if they know which attractions may be down at opening. Then book that down attraction hoping for that open LL, I will cancel it and move to another reservation if I see another attraction down. Space Mountain, Indiana Jones, and Matterhorn are the open LLs that you want.

Booking LLs early is fine, but you have to be okay with not being able to use LL for that same attraction later.

I doubt you will need it, ESPECIALLY for Indiana Jones as the LL to Stand By entry point is so early.

Oh, I thought Pirates was LL. So definitely need to do it in the early am.

Any chance I could get on ROTR with ILL right away, and then go over to Pirates after and still have a decent wait?

I am trying to come up with a sample timeline for my day, with 1-2 hour LL return times estimated (I know it will be packed). Does this look do-able?

1. Scan into park 7:30 - 8am. Book ILL right away for ROTR for 8am-10am (Is that overly optimistic??? Lol)

2. Book LL Millennium Falcon right away for a 10am-12pm window (or do I need to scan into ROTR before I can book MF? Does it matter if I book ILL before LL? Can these two return times overlap?)

3. Head over to Pirates at 9:30 after riding ROTR. Plan a 1.5 hours for wait and ride.

4. Finish Pirates at 11am. Head over to Millennium Falcon and scan in. Book LL Indiana Jones for 12pm - 2pm.

5. Finish MF at 12pm. Head over to Indiana Jones and scan in. Book LL Haunted Mansion for 1:30pm - 3:30pm.

6. Finish Indiana Jones at 1:30pm. Head over to Haunted Mansion and scan in. Book LL Space Mountain for 3pm - 5pm.

7. Finish Haunted Mansion at 3pm. Head over to Space Mountain and scan in. Book LL Star Tours for 4:30 pm - 6:30pm.

8. Finish Space Mountain at 4:30pm. Head over to Star Tours and scan in. Book LL Buzz for 6pm - 8pm.

9. Finish Star Tours at 6pm. Head over to Buzz and scan in. Book LL for It's a Small World for 8pm - 10pm.

10. Finish Buzz at 8pm Head over to It's a Small World and scan in.

11. Watch Fireworks from It's a Small World.

Thanks for posting that video DLRExpert. In all my planning I never even thought about YouTube, lol.

Adding to what pokee99 was asking - they had listed a plan to use LL for a ride then book for the next ride using LL, then the next, and so on. What is the chance that you can get a LL for the ride you want for the time you want? Or is there a good chance that only certain rides will be available at any given time?

Check out this FBD video about rope dropping RISE.

Thanks, this is a good video, but it doesn't explain why you shouldn't buy ILL for RISE first thing in the morning (the guys in the video were evaluating rope dropping the standby line). There was no line for ILL according to them, so if that's common, I could cross that ride off my list pretty quickly, without losing much of the precious morning time.

There was, however, huge crowds heading over to Galaxy's Edge... which looks like it slows you down. A LOT. Is it always like that?

I always go to DL during spring break when it's SUPER busy, so it always takes soooo long to get around.... it's so cramped and there's some really bad bottlenecks. If you don't stay in one area for awhile, you could spend hours just crowd-fighting, trying to get to the next ride. Seems like staying in Galaxys Edge for a while, rather then going back and forth, is a better plan. But it doesn't always work out that way...

Thanks, this is a good video, but it doesn't explain why you shouldn't buy ILL for RISE first thing in the morning (the guys in the video were evaluating rope dropping the standby line). There was no line for ILL according to them, so if that's common, I could cross that ride off my list pretty quickly, without losing much of the precious morning time.

There was, however, huge crowds heading over to Galaxy's Edge... which looks like it slows you down. A LOT. Is it always like that?

I always go to DL during spring break when it's SUPER busy, so it always takes soooo long to get around.... it's so cramped and there's some really bad bottlenecks. If you don't stay in one area for awhile, you could spend hours just crowd-fighting, trying to get to the next ride. Seems like staying in Galaxys Edge for a while, rather then going back and forth, is a better plan. But it doesn't always work out that way...

Reading your last couple posts, I think I'd do it a little different. I'd go to Pirates first since it's a priority and the line will likely grow that day. While in line, book something not too far away with a short return time -- maybe Big Thunder to go on your way to Galaxy's Edge. (Keeping an eye on the ILL times for Galaxy's Edge and booking one for about when you think you'd get into that area) Then book Millenium Falcon LL after scanning in to Big Thunder. Then when you get to Galaxy's Edge you have LL/ILL for both rides and can spend some time there while booking the next couple of rides in other areas of the park.

PHXscuba

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter