Rope Drop Strategy for Disneyland and Disney California Adventure with Lightning Lanes and Individual Lightning Lanes

I'll be in Fantasyland during the early entry period (7:30 - 8:00 AM). Is it possible to go from there to Adventureland and queue up for Jungle Cruise or Indiana Jones before 8:00, or is it off limits to early entry people until the park officially opens?

Pirates and HM are both people eaters - those will be just fine to do mid-morning, late afternoon, or evening. The lines will look long but move fast. If you have Genie, that's 1 use on HM. Still hit Fantasyland first - everything is right next to each other and the rides are shorter. You'll get MUCH more done in that first hour than if you spend literally 30 minutes in one of the long new Orleans square experiences.

With Rise, for my money either rope drop it (it's a fun experience imo - and you can be pretty certain that it'll be open for your ride since it's coming off of a whole night of maintenance work) or get genie. Standby is just miserable - breakdowns, Genie slowing it down, and being stuck in those caves the whole time. Not a fan.

Hope that helps.

Thanks! Very helpful. Rise I will pay for since it’s just me. Such a fun ride (just did it in wdw last month)!

I need to do some research on what rides have single rider, too. I have never done a solo trip before and forget about things like that

Neat. Under the current system, if they keep rolling the monorail out prior to 7:30, and as long as you catch the first trip, this is likely going to be faster than main gate for DLH and PPH guests going to DL. It's nice to see them actually utilize the monorail for this purpose. For too long the monorail has been slow or inconsistent to open so the advice for EE/rope drop has been to not use it.
We are DL newbies and hoping to take advantage of EE as well. We’re staying at the Grand Californian and are very early risers. What is the recommended path for those staying at GC and want to eek out every minute of EE? Should we be trying to use the monorail too or just going through DTD very early, like 6:40?

Thanks so much!
Deb

We are DL newbies and hoping to take advantage of EE as well. We’re staying at the Grand Californian and are very early risers. What is the recommended path for those staying at GC and want to eek out every minute of EE? Should we be trying to use the monorail too or just going through DTD very early, like 6:40?

Thanks so much!
Deb
PS We will be starting 2 mornings in each DL and DCA and would love tips to get to both parks as early as possible. Thanks again!

Deb

Head next Tuesday for 1 day hopper w/ BFF.
No EE but will be at DCA at 7am, DL after as Oogie at DCA.
Genie +; willing to pay for ILL if need be.
Have a loose plan.
Been looking at wait times, etc on app at various times of day to familiarize myself.
I notice that RSR& Web do not currently show G+ (930 PST):
Does that mean all G+ have been snagged for the day for those rides?
Thinking Rope drop WS & SR RSR to save ILL
GoG says no G+available—Will more open?
When can we begin to secure G+ for DL fr PM

Last edited:

Thanks so much!
Deb
I don’t know if they have been rolling the monorail out early lately or not. Someone with more recent experience will need to share.

The nice thing coming from the Grand Californian into Downtown Disney is that you should be at an advantage over the people coming through the west side security entrance because that services the Disneyland Hotel, Paradise Pier Hotel, and anyone else staying off site that walks to that security entrance.

So you should use the DL main gate instead of the monorail since you will likely be toward the front of the pack at the gate.

Thanks! Very helpful. Rise I will pay for since it’s just me. Such a fun ride (just did it in wdw last month)!

I need to do some research on what rides have single rider, too. I have never done a solo trip before and forget about things like that
In DL, Matterhorn and Splash Mountain are your only options these days. Space Mtn and Indiana Jones and Star Tours used to have them (Space Mountain's was awesome - never waited more than 10 minutes. And I used that thing literally dozens of times. Usually waited 0-2 minutes... good times) but they got rid of them to push more Genie+. (Per Space Mt. and Indy CMs)

Matterhorn's is good, but it fluctuates wildly. It gets way longer than in the evening. And some CMs just forget that sr line exists, moreso than other rides lol. Just ask a CM at the front and they'll guide you to the entrance - it changes locations semi-regularly

Splash Mountain's line is up the exit. Once you get to the station turn right, walk over the bridge, and you're there. A lot recently there has been a rope blocking the entrance to the bridge - just step over or unhook it - if you ask a CM, they'll just do the same thing and then put it right back. But the line is open. For some reason this has been how they keep the line but a lot of people that aren't very confident in what they're looking for see the rope blocking the way, get confused, and walk away. Less of a line for us :)

Have a great trip!

Head next Tuesday for 1 day hopper w/ BFF.
No EE but will be at DCA at 7am, DL after as Oogie at DCA.
Genie +; willing to pay for ILL if need be.
Have a loose plan.
Been looking at wait times, etc on app at various times of day to familiarize myself.
I notice that RSR& Web do not currently show G+ (930 PST):
Does that mean all G+ have been snagged for the day for those rides?
Thinking Rope drop WS & SR RSR to save ILL
GoG says no G+available—Will more open?
When can we begin to secure G+ for DL fr PM
DCA usually closes by 9 PM. Much earlier with Oogie Boogie. Not sure if you meant AM or PM.

Very unlikely those rides were booked out. RSR and Web are not included on G+, they are ILL rides - an important distinction if you were looking at an API or third-party tool because sometimes they group them separately. Sounds like a bit of an anomaly to me.

You can book rides in the other park once the return time hits 1 PM or later. So it could theoretically be 8:01 AM, you're rushing through DCA, Space mountain proves to be wildly popular and its return times are already past 1 PM, and you could book that ride right away. I wouldn't stress booking DL rides except for Space Mountain, the rest of them in my experience have a surprising amount of availablility into the night. The DCA headliners are the ones to worry about.

Also, LLs for the last 60 minutes of the night are essentially worthless for everything but Space Mountain. The lines are always shorter than the merge point that late in the night, particularly on days the park closes at midnight. LLs for 9 PM - 10:30 are great - lots of nighttime crowds around at that point. Some very popular rides like Star Tours, Indy, and Smuggler's Run all empty out big time in the last 90 minutes of the night. I've walked onto smuggler's run so many times at night that I can barely stomach a wait more than 10 minutes for it during the day lol.

Hope this is helpful. LMK if you have more questions.

Reactions: KKB

Thanks so much!
Deb
In my experience (I've been the first one at the turnstile and the first one on my ride of choice my last 4 days in the park over the last year), be waiting at security no later than 6:45. Preferably 6:30. Most "diehards" show up around 6:45, and it snowballs from there. Especially at the harbor entrance, but you're in the Grand :)

Your security will start checking bags at 7 AM. The security for guests waiting near harbor avenue will open at 7:15. You should have no problem being the absolute first people at a turnstile if you're through your security before 7:10 AM. Ideally, line up at a turnstile as far to the opposite side of the esplanade that you walk in on as possible. (Allll the way over towards space mountain). The reason is that you'll be (if you're doing it right) doing the mostlywalk down main street to shove your hotel reservations in the face of the CM that's going to let you in for your EE time.

That CM stands on the right side of main street near the Tomorrowland entrance. It sounds dumb, but "wasting time" crossing from the left to right side of main street is precious seconds lost during the intense running of the bulls that is Disneyland Early Entry.

Don't even think about using the monorail, where's the fun in that? (Also breakdowns are possible and you will be slower than if you tryhard the good ol fashioned rope drop. If you're trying to get into the park a little later on in the day, not EE, it's a great option)

Full disclaimer - I'm a nerd and a diehard about this. I get a similar adrenaline rush from Dirt Biking, Water Skiing, or an extremely competitive match of Ultimate Frisbee that I get from Disneyland Rope Drop. Something is probably wrong with me, I admit. BUT! if you are competitive and love DL while maintaining the sportsmanship to not literally mow over 4-year-olds and their grandmas as you sprint to get on Peter Pan 5 seconds before them, this is often the most memorable and fun part of your trip.

Have fun!
- Brandon

I'll be in Fantasyland during the early entry period (7:30 - 8:00 AM). Is it possible to go from there to Adventureland and queue up for Jungle Cruise or Indiana Jones before 8:00, or is it off limits to early entry people until the park officially opens?
They don't open those areas of the park at all until 8 AM. If you wanted to head for Galaxy's edge, you can do a "second rope drop" at the back of Fantasyland. But if you want to rope drop Adventureland, you'll be waiting with the rest of the rope drop guests. I think. I haven't tested this, but I bet there's a "back way in" to Adventureland about 2-3 minutes before the rest of the park is let in. They have to take all the ropes down 2-3 minutes before they let the monsters run free, and so you could probably head over that way in that 90-120 second window casually right before official "rope drop" (not many people prioritize that - everyone heads for rise or space) and get the same result you want. Let me know how it goes if you do try it!

In DL, Matterhorn and Splash Mountain are your only options these days. Space Mtn and Indiana Jones and Star Tours used to have them (Space Mountain's was awesome - never waited more than 10 minutes. And I used that thing literally dozens of times. Usually waited 0-2 minutes... good times) but they got rid of them to push more Genie+. (Per Space Mt. and Indy CMs)

Matterhorn's is good, but it fluctuates wildly. It gets way longer than in the evening. And some CMs just forget that sr line exists, moreso than other rides lol. Just ask a CM at the front and they'll guide you to the entrance - it changes locations semi-regularly

Splash Mountain's line is up the exit. Once you get to the station turn right, walk over the bridge, and you're there. A lot recently there has been a rope blocking the entrance to the bridge - just step over or unhook it - if you ask a CM, they'll just do the same thing and then put it right back. But the line is open. For some reason this has been how they keep the line but a lot of people that aren't very confident in what they're looking for see the rope blocking the way, get confused, and walk away. Less of a line for us :)

Have a great trip!

Thank you!!!

Also just read your reply about ee and getting there first. Question. I won’t have ee. Should I still plan to get to security as early as you are recommending to the ee crowd? I will be coming from Santa Monica so a bit of a drive, but also will be operating on east coast time still so probably will be up early anyway so not at all a stretch to do so.

Thank you!!!

Also just read your reply about ee and getting there first. Question. I won’t have ee. Should I still plan to get to security as early as you are recommending to the ee crowd? I will be coming from Santa Monica so a bit of a drive, but also will be operating on east coast time still so probably will be up early anyway so not at all a stretch to do so.
Yes. Moreso even. Park at the Anaheim hotel by 6:25 AM at the latest. Cheaper, simpler, faster, and closer than official parking. Show up at the Harbor side security entrance by 6:45 AT THE LATEST. They will let you mostlywalk to security at 7:15. Have all your zippers unzipped ahead of time for maximum speed. Book it to whatever turnstile has the least groups at it immediately after that.

After the bag check Make sure you go AROUND the ticket booths (through the opening in the center of the plaza), not through - you’ll be tempted to just parkour through all the ticket line chains, but it will at best be slower than going around them and at worst a CM will stop you and force you to go back around.

If you are in the first 15-20 ppl at an entrance, they’ll scan your ticket around 7:20-25. That way you can waltz (read: sprint like beignets are selling out) right into the park the second the countdown hits 0.

Do the mostlywalk like your life depends on it down Main Street. You’ll only be hustling for maybe 60 seconds and there are plenty of snacks for you to get those calories back, don’t worry. Take your place at the rope you are dropping (For pure ride total and covering everything go Fantasyland, for Maximum thrill rides go for space Mtn, and for the highest competition experience that I love but isn’t objectively the best option, go for Rise through the Frontierland entrance) and chill there for the next 30 minutes or so and with the guests you get smashed right next to.

When the rope drops, the way you attack off the jump is the most important. Getting a good position early is key - don’t worry about drafting from your opponents or a good racing line, just get to the front. If you’re going for Rise, the key is to keep going as fast as you can around the 60% of the way there mark - that’s where you pass the weaklings that aren’t motivated enough.

Like I said, pretty sure I have a clinically diagnosable problem. But I am ok with that, I save as much as 10 minutes over my less insane peers riding rides at an amusement park! This could go at the top of your resume, these are practical life skills.

Have fun! Even if you aren’t a die hard like me, you’ll have a fantastic time either way.

Yes. Moreso even. Park at the Anaheim hotel by 6:25 AM at the latest. Cheaper, simpler, faster, and closer than official parking. Show up at the Harbor side security entrance by 6:45 AT THE LATEST. They will let you mostlywalk to security at 7:15. Have all your zippers unzipped ahead of time for maximum speed. Book it to whatever turnstile has the least groups at it immediately after that.

After the bag check Make sure you go AROUND the ticket booths (through the opening in the center of the plaza), not through - you’ll be tempted to just parkour through all the ticket line chains, but it will at best be slower than going around them and at worst a CM will stop you and force you to go back around.

If you are in the first 15-20 ppl at an entrance, they’ll scan your ticket around 7:20-25. That way you can waltz (read: sprint like beignets are selling out) right into the park the second the countdown hits 0.

Do the mostlywalk like your life depends on it down Main Street. You’ll only be hustling for maybe 60 seconds and there are plenty of snacks for you to get those calories back, don’t worry. Take your place at the rope you are dropping (For pure ride total and covering everything go Fantasyland, for Maximum thrill rides go for space Mtn, and for the highest competition experience that I love but isn’t objectively the best option, go for Rise through the Frontierland entrance) and chill there for the next 30 minutes or so and with the guests you get smashed right next to.

When the rope drops, the way you attack off the jump is the most important. Getting a good position early is key - don’t worry about drafting from your opponents or a good racing line, just get to the front. If you’re going for Rise, the key is to keep going as fast as you can around the 60% of the way there mark - that’s where you pass the weaklings that aren’t motivated enough.

Like I said, pretty sure I have a clinically diagnosable problem. But I am ok with that, I save as much as 10 minutes over my less insane peers riding rides at an amusement park! This could go at the top of your resume, these are practical life skills.

Have fun! Even if you aren’t a die hard like me, you’ll have a fantastic time either way.

Thank you!!!!!! I am most likely going to rope drop fantasyland. Where is the rope drop? Is it thru the castle or around? I used to know DL so well but it’s been a loooong time since I have been there. I am solo this trip so can definitely move fast and weave when needed. Lol

Thank you!!!!!! I am most likely going to rope drop fantasyland. Where is the rope drop? Is it thru the castle or around? I used to know DL so well but it’s been a loooong time since I have been there. I am solo this trip so can definitely move fast and weave when needed. Lol
Facing the castle, to the left and right of the partners statue. Ideally get a spot nearer to the partners statue, most optimally against the right side of the statue so that you don’t have to cross traffic trying to get on Pan first. If Pan is down go for dumbo or Alice.

DCA usually closes by 9 PM. Much earlier with Oogie Boogie. Not sure if you meant AM or PM.

Very unlikely those rides were booked out. RSR and Web are not included on G+, they are ILL rides - an important distinction if you were looking at an API or third-party tool because sometimes they group them separately. Sounds like a bit of an anomaly to me.

You can book rides in the other park once the return time hits 1 PM or later. So it could theoretically be 8:01 AM, you're rushing through DCA, Space mountain proves to be wildly popular and its return times are already past 1 PM, and you could book that ride right away. I wouldn't stress booking DL rides except for Space Mountain, the rest of them in my experience have a surprising amount of availablility into the night. The DCA headliners are the ones to worry about.

Also, LLs for the last 60 minutes of the night are essentially worthless for everything but Space Mountain. The lines are always shorter than the merge point that late in the night, particularly on days the park closes at midnight. LLs for 9 PM - 10:30 are great - lots of nighttime crowds around at that point. Some very popular rides like Star Tours, Indy, and Smuggler's Run all empty out big time in the last 90 minutes of the night. I've walked onto smuggler's run so many times at night that I can barely stomach a wait more than 10 minutes for it during the day lol.

Hope this is helpful. LMK if you have more questions.
Thx for these tips--yes, we ill be at DCA for 8AM opening & head to DL sometime in afternoon.
I was checking the trusty official DL app for that info!
In my experience (I've been the first one at the turnstile and the first one on my ride of choice my last 4 days in the park over the last year), be waiting at security no later than 6:45. Preferably 6:30. Most "diehards" show up around 6:45, and it snowballs from there. Especially at the harbor entrance, but you're in the Grand :)

Have fun!
- Brandon
Curious--do you suggest we be at DCA at 645 also (totally willing to)?

SO glad you updated the SR line list--when I go to DL site, all it says is:
Single Rider at Matterhorn Bobsleds
Single Rider at Splash Mountain
Single Rider at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
(and I had heard Matterhorn is worthless so good to hear more info from you that it varies).

DCA:
Single Rider at Grizzly River Run
Single Rider at Incredicoaster
Single Rider at Goofy's Sky School
Single Rider at Radiator Springs Racers
Single Rider at WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure

VERY good to find this updated info to update our tentative plans!!

Thx for these tips--yes, we ill be at DCA for 8AM opening & head to DL sometime in afternoon.
I was checking the trusty official DL app for that info!

Curious--do you suggest we be at DCA at 645 also (totally willing to)?

SO glad you updated the SR line list--when I go to DL site, all it says is:
Single Rider at Matterhorn Bobsleds
Single Rider at Splash Mountain
Single Rider at Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run
(and I had heard Matterhorn is worthless so good to hear more info from you that it varies).

DCA:
Single Rider at Grizzly River Run
Single Rider at Incredicoaster
Single Rider at Goofy's Sky School
Single Rider at Radiator Springs Racers
Single Rider at WEB SLINGERS: A Spider-Man Adventure

VERY good to find this updated info to update our tentative plans!!
Totally forgot smugglers run lol. I just never really use it, I always ride it late. That line is either way longer then it’s worth or a walk on. If it’s anything else, there are other better rides that have short lines you should
Be doing.

Incredicoaster SR is ridiculous - just go standby. You’ll wait MAYBE 10 minutes extra, and you’ll be moving the whole time in some shade instead of just standing against the railing.

For Web Slingers, good SR line, just you never know how full it’s going to be AFTER the pre-show. The outside line can be very deceptive. Still I usually wait maybe 15 mins for that one. Cools down a lot as the night goes on.

RSR, don’t use Single Rider if you can see the start of the queue from the line entrance. If you can, 45-60 min wait at least. If it’s just the switchbacks leading up to the platform, 10 min wait probably. That line fluctuates a lot based on ride breakdowns etc.

The goofy’s line is almost always a 0 wait. When I bring families with kids they are amazed that we ride that ride 5 times in 15 minutes when the line says an hour lol. The grizzly line is usually super short too. Usually. If it’s 95 out, good luck.

Frankly, a good rope drop at DCA is MORE important than DL - the lineup is too heavy. A few epic rides but they all get long waits. If you’re using ILL, get it for Racers and Rise. SR Web slingers for a max 20 min wait, and you still get the pre-show.

My advice - book ILL for Guardians once the return time hits 9:30 AM. rope drop Guardians, then backtrack to Soarin’. (Guardians has a long pre-show cycle - be warned It’ll take you a solid 15 mins to finish, it’s not exactly Peter Pan first thing. It’s just my favorite ride and the competition for racers is STEEP - unless you’re rly RLY aggressive it’s not worth it IMO)

Get LL for toy story next and knock off the Pixar pier stuff - incredicoaster with standby, the paradise gardens rides, reride coaster with LL if desired. Fit in ILL for Cars and SR on web when desired. You’ll have extra time to see stuff around avengers campus, don’t miss the art of animation building in Hollywood backlot, and be ready to park hop immediately. I recommend going in for your park hop go DL via monorail - the park hop lines are long and main st congestion is bad at this time of day. Genie selections will be available late at DL as I mentioned earlier.

Any other Q’s let me know! Be ready to have a fast morning and a slow late morning/early afternoon at DCA. Wait times balloon fast and stay high due to less “filler rides”. Use the low standby waits for the first 2-3 rides, then use Genie to fill in the afternoon when possible until you can start attacking DL.

. I recommend going in for your park hop go DL via monorail - the park hop lines are long and main st congestion is bad at this time of day. Genie selections will be available late at DL as I mentioned earlier.
Taking detailed notes.
You say use monorail to hop to DL--where do we get on?

With individual lightning lanes, I know you can only buy 2 for the day. Do you have to ride the first before you can book the second?

Taking detailed notes.
You say use monorail to hop to DL--where do we get on?
All the way at the other end of Downtown Disney. Turn left coming out of DCA, walk for 8-10 minutes, enjoy downtown Disney (a mediocre outdoor mall that survives because it’s next to Disneyland) and then the station will be on your right across from the Lego store with a fire breathing dragon on top. Hard to miss it 😂.

You’ll have to scan tickets to get on, and it might be a few mins “less efficient” than just hopping across, but I enjoy this process way more and the monorail is awesome and this is a great way to squeeze it in AND park hop.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter