Room upgrades at check-in--Possible?

BorisMD

Mouseketeer
Pardon my ignorance, but I'll be making my first trip home in March. Prior to DVC, I was used to playing all the "games" with CRO, front desk, etc to get the best deals. I really like not having to do that--having the point cost for each night available up front, with no uncertainty about getting the best deal is refreshing. So here's my question--when checking in to a resort, are room upgrades available without increase in point cost (if there are unfilled rooms available, will they do this?)? If so, how much upgrade will they give you--better view, larger unit? Just curious.

Thanks,

Boris

As a rule, upgrades at WDW are not extended, regardless of availability.

If you reserved a Studio for example, and when you checked in there were 1-B/R units that were not going to be used, you would still get the studio.

There have been exceptions in the past but these always relate to some type of problem with the reservation itself where the actual initial reservation could not be met for some reason. Possible unplanned maintenance had to close some rooms on short notice, for example.

The only 'view' upgrade that even exists is at WDW is at BWV which has standard and preferred views, but again, if you reserved a standard view room, that's what you'll get.

All other views would be within your room classification. At OKW, VWL, BCV all views are equivalent. If for example at BCV you got an Epcot view as opposed to something else, that would not be considered an upgrade. That's just the luck of the draw. If that view was available when you checked in and you got it, then you were lucky. (Assuming you considered that view better than others). But again if your reservation was for a Studio, that is still the type of room you get.

Caskbill's right, they will only upgrade you if you are willing to part with the points or there has been an error and they no longer have a room to meet your reservation. Your requests (ex. nonsmoking, view, etc.) being met play no part in this. If you ask for a Boardwalk view studio and they don't have one with that view they will still put you in a studio as long as one is available. The only time that they would upgrade you without it costing more points is if they have no studios available at all. Also, there may be a 1-bedroom available when you check-in but it may be reserved for someone arriving the next day. The occupancy rate at DVC resorts is very high so even if they did do upgrades they would be far and few between.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter