Room/Resort Upgrades?

10_Kyle_10

DIS Veteran
Just wondering how they work? Is it a random thing or is it something that needs to be requested? Ive read on here from many people getting great upgrades including value resorts upgraded to moderate and in some case deluxe resorts. During this process is there a charge or is it free based on availbilty? Im kinda clueless when it comes to this. Im going down in October staying at ASMo and looking to get the most for my money! Thanks any and all info is greatly appreciated!

We were never upgraded to a different resort but we were upgraded in our room at WL twice and didnt ask for it. We had booked a woods view and were always upgraded to a courtyard view with bunkbeds. My cousin had booked a room at WL last fall and they were moved to AK savanah view CL due to overbooking but that was a WDW mess up. I think its just hit and miss but heres to hoping right?!

Thats right! Im heading down in October so it shouldnt be too to busy...Keeping my fingers crossed!

Upgrades within the resorts themselves are rare and upgrades from resort to resort are even rarer. Generally the only reason why you would be upgraded is if the room category you initially booked was overbooked and they have availability in a higher room category. Sometimes when there is a lot of availability CMs can upgrade you within the hotel to a nicer room for a lower price than usual or even for free, but that rarely happens. The only way they would upgrade you to a different resort level is if every room in your original hotel and every room in your resort category is full at the time of check-in. They will never bump you up to a nicer hotel for no reason or even for a small fee. When people get upgrades, 99% of the time it is not just because Disney decides to give it to them just because they want to be nice. There is almost always a reason to upgrade someone that benefits Disney. To some extent there is luck involved in the sense that when Disney needs to upgrade people there might not be a noticeable reason why a certain party received the upgrade over another, but Disney almost always has a reason for offering the upgrade in the first place.

Since you are going in October when the hotels are not likely to be full the chances of being upgraded to a higher resort category are pretty much non-existent. You may be able to snag a preferred room at ASMo when you check-in (I would innocently ask about a particular building that you know is preferred), but it is highly unlikely because they probably will have plenty of room in your original category.

If you don't get an upgrade, don't see it as not getting your money's worth. Staying with the room type and resort you paid for is just that, you get what you paid for. If you want a nicer room at your resort or moderate/deluxe, I highly reccomend that you change your reservation before you go. Don't pay less assuming that you will get the upgrade, because 9 times out of 10, you won't.

Im not assuming ill get one at all, nor am I banking on getting one. I booked what I could afford and have also stayed at a value resort before with no issues. I just read many stories on here regarding people getting great upgrades so I figured I would try and get some information from people that it has happened to. Thanks for your input

Upgrades do happen: we got a GREAT one on our last trip, but as PPs have said they are not all that common. I think that they seem more prevelent because people are more likely to post about the really good and the really bad of their trip, and not the "got exactly what we paid for and expected". It sounds like you will be happy no matter what though.

Even so ... :wizard: never hurts!

Upgrades do happen: we got a GREAT one on our last trip, but as PPs have said they are not all that common. I think that they seem more prevelent because people are more likely to post about the really good and the really bad of their trip, and not the "got exactly what we paid for and expected". It sounds like you will be happy no matter what though.
Even so ... :wizard: never hurts!

You got that right first time making the trip alone with just my DGF!:love: and too top it off its her first WDW Trip!

we stayed at WL last week and we were trying to get an extra night.. they told us they knew it was not possible because they had overbooking and were upgrading families to the GF... they said some people weren't happy either.. so they were trying to make each family happy.. I think when you want to stay at WL and you have your heart on it.. the GF is not what you want.. who knows.. but I know they had quite a few families being transferred to GF on Friday!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter