Rome-precruise help

Amw1064

DIS Veteran
We will be on a rescheduled cruise out of Rome this summer. (previous cruise was out of Barcelona) Bought our plane tickets with 5 days/nights before the cruise but have no idea on where to stay or where to start planning. Wanted to do a day trip or over night up in Florence/Pisa. We arrive early Tuesday morning. Should we plan on going straight to Florence from airport or stay in Rome a few days and then head up and back? Any suggestions!!!! Also favorite places to stay in Rome and a night in Florence if we should do that. Should we do this on our own or a tour company to get us up there? Thanks for any help.

I'd suggest flying into Rome's airport (FCO) and getting a hotel in Rome for the entire pre-cruise stay. There is so much to see/do in Rome you could easily spend that amount of time there. That's not to say that Florence isn't worth visiting - it is indeed.

In Rome we have stayed at the Bernini Bristol several times. Our first visit to Rome was on an ABD trip and that's where we stayed on the Rome part of the trip. Since then when we have gone back to Rome (3 more times) we've stayed there as well.

If you want to do a day trip to Florence, I'd look into the train. However, I haven't actually done this so I can't really give advice on how to do this. The train stations are very close to the center of both cities so its pretty convenient.

I wouldn't prioritize a visit to Pisa. Yes, its visually interesting. But once you've taken your picture trying to push the tower back upright you're pretty much done with that. There are much more interesting sights in Rome and Florence to spend your time at.

We decided to stay in Rome the entire time with possibly doing a day trip somewhere. Any tours anyone recommends in Rome or a transfer company. We will need one from airport to hotel and then hotel to cruise port. I keep seeing the usual Viator, Carpe Diem or Walks of Italy.

We are doing 3 nights in Rome after our Med. cruise this June. We got a great deal through Costco Travel, it included Hotel, breakfast each morning and transfers from port - hotel and hotel - airport.

We also plan on doing the Viator app for tours, heard great things about them and they have a wide variety of options.

We are doing 3 nights in Rome after our Med. cruise this June. We got a great deal through Costco Travel, it included Hotel, breakfast each morning and transfers from port - hotel and hotel - airport.

We also plan on doing the Viator app for tours, heard great things about them and they have a wide variety of options.
I will take a look at Costco. Didn't even think about them.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but we cruised out of Rome a few years ago and opted to stay at I believe a Hilton that is attached right to the Rome airport. The Hilton had complimentary bus service that brought guests directly to a city part of Rome and then had various pick-up times to bring guests back to the Hilton. Then on our cruise departure day, the Hilton provided bus shuttle to the port (for a fee). We found it very handy to stay there being that they made things easy for us. It was our first stay in Rome and first European cruise, so we wanted "easy"!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter