Rollator or scooter

beezerdave

Mouseketeer
Arriving in WDW next Monday. I have artritis in both knees and just got cortisone in both knees. I generally do all for awhile after I get those. But WDW is a lot of walking. I have a scooter rental but can cancel by Friday without a penalty. I’ve been reading up on Rollators. They possibly seem like a good alternative. (I’m 6’3” 198 lbs if that matters). Anyone here in a similar situation that could help with my decision? (I’m trying to find someplace local try test one out but time is ticking.). TIA

I would stay away from the rollator only because I feel it would not help as much as you might need in wdw. They are great for short outings but miles walked.. not so much.

Also most I have helped my grandma use make you hunch over even just a little and it would kill my back after a while.

Have you been to WDW? How did you handle those trips? For my DH, the waiting in lines/standing in one spot is just as painful as walking. If you do decided to use a rollator, be aware how high the handles can go. When looking at one for DH, They did have a height range.

Have you been to WDW? How did you handle those trips? For my DH, the waiting in lines/standing in one spot is just as painful as walking. If you do decided to use a rollator, be aware how high the handles can go. When looking at one for DH, They did have a height range.
I have been many many times in the past before my knee issue. Standing is not a problem it’s the actual walking. When I use a shopping cart at the supermarket that seems to help. Yes how high the rollator goes was a concern.

There are lots of people in the parks using rollators and they do meet the needs of many people. Before my FIL agreed to use an ECV, he liked to push my DD’s wheelchair because it supported his walking and helped his knees and hips not to hurt.
At 6’ and over, I would question whether you can find one that could be adjusted high enough. Shorter people leaning over to use one may just not have it adjusted to suit their height.

I don't know how high a standard rollator can be adjusted for taller folks, and if it's not at the right height you'll end up with a backache. Maybe consider an "upright walker" which by design is taller. I don't know if anyone rents these, though, so it may take some searching.

I have a tall rollator (Nitro comes in a tall option) and I also have a scooter (Pride Go Go Sport). I was able to enjoy quite a few years at WDW using the rollator but once one hurts a lot like it sounds like you do, I would opt for the scooter at WDW. You will still have some walking/standing even using the scooter. Save yourself for those times by using the scooter. If you can afford that option, I think you will be happier. Have a great trip!

You will last longer in the parks with a scooter. You will be less tired. Park tickets are costly and the more you can stay and enjoy the parks the more value you get out of it.

The average trek in a park is 6 miles. That counts going through ride queues.

You do have to charge your battery every day with an outside vendor scooter.

Last edited:
I am also considering a rollator. I can walk a mile but stop and stand 10 minutes..very painful. Im taking med that make joints all painful. A lot of trouble with ankles. I am thinking to try this and resort to a scooter if forced :)
My question is when you get to the ride what happens to the rollator?

When a friend came with us and used a knee scooter, one thing she noticed was the textured cement in so many areas of the parks, even in the queues. The slight bumps and lines that make it look cool are hard for things on wheels that you push!

The only surface I had trouble with during my rollator years was the cobblestone at Universal Studios. It was awful to roll across.

I have a tall rollator (Nitro comes in a tall option) and I also have a scooter (Pride Go Go Sport). I was able to enjoy quite a few years at WDW using the rollator but once one hurts a lot like it sounds like you do, I would opt for the scooter at WDW. You will still have some walking/standing even using the scooter. Save yourself for those times by using the scooter. If you can afford that option, I think you will be happier. Have a great trip!
And here’s a link to the tall rollator@ Amazon.

Drive Medical RTL10266BK-T Nitro Foldable Rollator Walker with Seat, Tall Height, Black https://a.co/2XcmpmU

I tried using a rollator for a trip along time ago. For me it was much easier, and more comfortable using a scooter.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter