ROFR Strikes again

Ezra Beane

Earning My Ears
I have submitted 2 DVC resale contracts and had them both gobbled up by ROFR.

1st: SSR 160 pts @ $97 PP

2nd: BLT 160 pts @ $143 PP

Admittedly I kind of expected it. However, it was worth a shot at 2 really awesome deals. It was a no-lose situation. I have rethought my strategy and believe Disney will not allow for extreme value (We all have different definitions).

My wife and I almost thought about buying direct from Disney with their current deal, which would allow 200 points for RRV @ $180 PP (200 PT minimum) but the dues of $8.38, not the resale restrictions kept me at bay. If you add up the total cost of dues it could potentially end up costing me and my family between $244,417.34 - $457,478.28 (Considering a 4% to 6% annual increase of dues per year and a Deed expiration of 2070). That is a lot of coin.

So we submitted our 3rd resale contract attempt today with more conservative expectations. The initial one time cost really doesn't bother me it is the cost of dues throughout the life of the contract that really make me over analyze.

Wish us luck at our third crack at ROFR! Can not wait to join DVC and return to WDW! Hope you all are doing well!

So sorry to hear I’m 2 for 2 getting bought back also for BLT. I’ve got a 3rd in now that I hope makes it through. Please put your contracts into the ROFR thread here so it can be included in the data. Follow the directions in the first post so you can format the details properly

Did your BLT contract have 2021, 2022 points left?

Admittedly I kind of expected it. However, it was worth a shot at 2 really awesome deals. It was a no-lose situation. I have rethought my strategy and believe Disney will not allow for extreme value (We all have different definitions).

My wife and I almost thought about buying direct from Disney with their current deal, which would allow 200 points for RRV @ $180 PP (200 PT minimum) but the dues of $8.38, not the resale restrictions kept me at bay. If you add up the total cost of dues it could potentially end up costing me and my family between $244,417.34 - $457,478.28 (Considering a 4% to 6% annual increase of dues per year and a Deed expiration of 2070). That is a lot of coin.

So we submitted our 3rd resale contract attempt today with more conservative expectations. The initial one time cost really doesn't bother me it is the cost of dues throughout the life of the contract that really make me over analyze.

Wish us luck at our third crack at ROFR! Can not wait to join DVC and return to WDW! Hope you all are doing well!

Great observation on the dues over the life of a contract. Everyone focuses so much on the price per point, but in the grand scheme of things the price per point is almost nothing. We bought SSR at $97/point back in September (our first contract). It's not an unheard of price, but DVC likes to buy back contracts here and there, so i'm sure they let some pass and some they have to take. We are awaiting ROFR for a AUL subsidized contract. The NPV of the price per point over the life of the contract was very intriguing to us - about $1 NPV cheaper per point that SSR. RIV scares the daylights out of me because when buying resale at that resort, you can only ever stay at that resort. I've never been and i'm sure it's awesome, but I really wanted the idea of rotating around through all of the resorts where available.

Great observation on the dues over the life of a contract. Everyone focuses so much on the price per point, but in the grand scheme of things the price per point is almost nothing. We bought SSR at $97/point back in September (our first contract). It's not an unheard of price, but DVC likes to buy back contracts here and there, so i'm sure they let some pass and some they have to take. We are awaiting ROFR for a AUL subsidized contract. The NPV of the price per point over the life of the contract was very intriguing to us - about $1 NPV cheaper per point that SSR. RIV scares the daylights out of me because when buying resale at that resort, you can only ever stay at that resort. I've never been and i'm sure it's awesome, but I really wanted the idea of rotating around through all of the resorts where available.
Yes those were the benefits of being in the Club. Using the points at other resorts. Now RIV is like half in the Club, half out of the Club. I personally think the should have made DVC II and kept it separate and add any other new ones to it.

As far as annual dues, if DVC still has points to sell of the resort aka RIV, CCV and AUL. The last few years, the dues do not go up much, while others do. Also the monorail resorts are also going up at a slower pace than the rest.

Last edited:
Crazy. I bought SSR for way less than that a year and some change ago. I mean I thought it was "extreme value," but Disney didn't. I'm still surprised my VGF made it through over the summer. Goes to show you can never tell!

Keep going, I have 4 contracts (3 resale) and the third I had two SSR taken, but I was like the terminator after his legs were crushed by the press, I just kept going with my arms, clawing my way to my final SSR contract.

I haven't been following resales the last couple of years, but how much is BLT going for on the resale market these days? DVD is now taking BLT contracts at $143/point? Is that considered a good deal in the current market?

LAX

I haven't been following resales the last couple of years, but how much is BLT going for on the resale market these days? DVD is now taking BLT contracts at $143/point? Is that considered a good deal in the current market?

LAX
ROFR thread shows DVD taking contracts $150 and below, while people have passed at $145 and above.

Good Luck had 2 taken from me then hit 2 and went through just got to keep trying

Riviera dues will likely be in line with all the other resorts in the next 1-2 years.
Lately, with newer resorts -- they overprice the dues at first, so they don't rise much the first few years. Riviera is only up 0.9% over last year, CCV is up only 1.9%. Meanwhile, the older resorts: BLT up 4.9%, each Club was up 5.3%, Boardwalk was up 6.1%, OKW up 6.7%

After the 2021 increases, Riviera is only about $0.53 more than BRV, only 0.47 more than OKW, only $0.64 more than AKL..

My expectation, within 1-2 years, Riviera will settle into the middle of the pack, more or less.

I like to look at annual dues as what I’d pay for a regular hotel room for a yearly family vacation. (If you amortize what you’d spend for 5-10 hotel nights every single year over the same number of years, DVC dues often comes out lower.) If I didn’t have DVC, I’d still be spending that much on vacation. If you don’t vacation 2 weeks a year, maybe that doesn’t make sense for your situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter