Riviera Sales by the numbers (vs CCV) for 2019 - (December added 1/16/2020)

I actually just saw this simulated virtual tour of the grand villa on Disney's website yesterday, and it looks amazing!

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/r...mailriviera-grandVilla-16x9#slideShow=0/0/0/2
I have been pretty skeptical about Riviera for a lot of the same reasons others have stated, but I have to admit the virtual tours of the rooms and the resort on the website look amazing! I will want to see it in person, but if it's as beautiful as it looks in the virtual videos I could see considering a direct contract "worth it" just so I'd have the ability to stay there.

I found the virtual tours of the studio, 1-, and 2-bedrooms, but not the grand villa. All I saw were pics of that GV. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I don't get "preferred" at Riviera. 75% of the rooms are preferred. Does preferred now just mean "not the parking lot"?

Where are you getting the information that 75% of the rooms are preferred at the Riviera?

So talking about Riviera sales, Chase Disney Visa cardholders are able to book RIV from opening day through March 31st for 40% off. I just booked a 1BR Preferred View for three nights (122 points) for $1,880. That's $15.40 a point which is less expensive than renting. What do we think that says about sales so far?

So talking about Riviera sales, Chase Disney Visa cardholders are able to book RIV from opening day through March 31st for 40% off. What do we think that says about sales so far?

Not a lot. It has to do with the non-declared rooms that they’re trying to sell for cash. They jacked up the rates and “cut them by 40%”. What a great “sale”...

Not a lot. It has to do with the non-declared rooms that they’re trying to sell for cash. They jacked up the rates and “cut them by 40%”. What a great “sale”...
Yeah I figured that's what they're doing, but if you do the math, it's still an insane deal. It's less expensive than renting and if you were to project that "sale" out into the future (not realistic I know) then it would push the breakeven point of buying vs. booking with a discount to about 25 years. That's a very loose analysis to be certain, but my point is that if you do the math for even this year only, the deal is better than you make it out to be.

Just did a quick check for cash rooms.

March 16 - 19. Standard studio $800 per night. Preferred $894. This is before the 40% off.

June 12 - 14. Standard studio $600. Preferred $680.

Both are weekends.

Where are you getting the information that 75% of the rooms are preferred at the Riviera?
This has been the mathematical consensus understanding based on the point size of the resort and the charts we have for 2020. I think @crvetter ran the numbers pretty early on.

I asked my guide if 25%/75% was the projection and there was a bit of a dance around wording. Her official line was that the developers hadn’t said anything official (back in April) because they “wanted to do a walkthrough” to confirm views. Not sure how they could change view categories given the chart distribution already established though.

Do you or Wil have reason to doubt the veracity of those figures?

Critical truth: Rack for ANY DVC unit is totally jacked up to help make the defense of the product value of the timeshare.

When Disney owns a bunch of the units, they discount. They did at Poly, did at CCV, now at Riviera. When they're stuck with half of OKW, expect the ability to get a unit cheap cash to become simple.

So talking about Riviera sales, Chase Disney Visa cardholders are able to book RIV from opening day through March 31st for 40% off. I just booked a 1BR Preferred View for three nights (122 points) for $1,880. That's $15.40 a point which is less expensive than renting. What do we think that says about sales so far?

That is a horrible! That's below the price to rent out SSR or OKW points. Why own at that price?

Also, what a great way to get already-into-Disney people (AP holders and Disney cc, right?) to check out the new resort, and then try to sell them points at the new DVC?? "You could OWN this!"

This has been the mathematical consensus understanding based on the point size of the resort and the charts we have for 2020. I think @crvetter ran the numbers pretty early on.

I asked my guide if 25%/75% was the projection and there was a bit of a dance around wording. Her official line was that the developers hadn’t said anything official (back in April) because they “wanted to do a walkthrough” to confirm views. Not sure how they could change view categories given the chart distribution already established though.

Indeed I did run the figures. Here is one of the posts that I did just that. I could see a 5% variation (more towards standard) but I think around 25% is more than likely.
Yeah quick calculations show that the 25% standard and 75% preferred is likely exactly where this will end up. They will declared 6,739,966 for DRR, which is for 51 weeks, so for 52 weeks it would take 6,872,122 points

We know the following Room Totals
24 Tower Studios
38 Studios
29 1 Beds
148 + 90 2 Beds
12 GVs

We know to reserve for all of 2020 the following points are needed
Tower Studio -> 5,809
Standard Deluxe Studio -> 7,245
Preferred Deluxe Studio -> 8,808
Standard 1 Bedroom -> 15,019
Preferred 1 Bedroom -> 18,486
Standard 2 Bedroom -> 19,333
Preferred 2 Bedroom -> 23,372
GV -> 47,947

So assigning 25% of the Studios, 1 Bedrooms, and 2 Bedrooms to Standard and 75% to preferred we get the total points to book the hotel for the year to be 6,867,809.25, pretty much on the nose. Though this did assume that Deluxe Studio, 1 Bedroom, and 2 Bedroom units will have the same amount allocated to Standard and Preferred Views.

This is an estimate that has been done by others based on the number of points for the entire resort and the number of rooms for the entire resort. I didn't confirm the calculations myself and Disney hasn't released the numbers, but it's fairly simple math when you know the total # of rooms, the value of both room types, and the total # of points. The calculations land exactly on 25% standard and 75% preferred. I couldn't find the thread where I saw the calculations.

.....(snip)......I asked my guide if 25%/75% was the projection and there was a bit of a dance around wording. Her official line was that the developers hadn’t said anything official (back in April) because they “wanted to do a walkthrough” to confirm views. Not sure how they could change view categories given the chart distribution already established though..........

They would just need to adjust the number of points they plan to sell. IIRC, that is what they did when they made the standard* view at BWV. Resort wasn't sold out yet, so they just sold less points than originally planned.

* My understanding is that there was a lot of member push-back on the points required to book the new resort (BWV) vs OKW and a lot of complaints about the views overlooking the entrance driveway and parking lots. Implement the standard view and problem solved. ;) Who knew those rooms would end up so popular that they'd have to change the actual booking system to accommodate (from 11 months prior to check out to 11 months prior to check in +7).

What do we think that says about sales so far?
Not much. As mentioned, Disney owns near all of it and they aren't going to let it just sit there. Plus, there is no ready-made audience of "gotta stay there" folks like there was at Poly, BLT/CR, so some marketing is required.

The overall pace of sales is up YoY on a monthly basis, per DVC News. I don't think anyone at DVD is in danger of losing a job over it.

Not much. As mentioned, Disney owns near all of it and they aren't going to let it just sit there. Plus, there is no ready-made audience of "gotta stay there" folks like there was at Poly, BLT/CR, so some marketing is required.

The overall pace of sales is up YoY on a monthly basis, per DVC News. I don't think anyone at DVD is in danger of losing a job over it.

I think you absolutely right! Sales have been pretty good with no indication of struggles. I believe it was mentioned here that only VGF performed better in a similar period, which is great news for DVD.

It seems the only people who want it to fail are people here hoping that RIV owners lose big on their contract, as if to prove a point to DVD that they should have never introduced the resale restrictions.

Just a bit about view. They had to do that at BLT a few years in and change some TPV rooms to SV. They were lower floor and many who go those room complained and it was adjusted. So there would be a way. I don’t remember how they handled it in the points chart,

Today, we are going to a sales pitch for RIV, just so my DD 23 can get the $75 card and the free FPS. She is not an owner so she qualifies. I will ask about the view break down and report back. What I can say is that if I wasn’t an owner and didn’t know all I do, the sales guide at the members lounge did a fantastic job. I could see people making the leap into buying, including me! I will say.snd this is SO not where I was a month ago, I could see buying there for with my kids and selling some of my other points that are 2042 The net exchange for a 2070 contract could give me pause. And it’d give them direct benefits for the AP. Because I have so many other points, resale on this one contract makes it less of an issue, because I would still have 650 to sell down the road if I had to downsize my DVC. Crazy for sure! 😂

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter