Rivera - resale - future resorts

cate2

Mouseketeer
Please forgive me if this has already been asked. If you buy Rivera direct and need to sell it in the future would the people buying it be able to book at resorts built after Rivera, or just a Rivera?
I'm was just thinking (justifying to myself) that maybe the resale value wouldn't be to bad if there were more resorts available.

Please forgive me if this has already been asked. If you buy Rivera direct and need to sell it in the future would the people buying it be able to book at resorts built after Rivera, or just a Rivera?
I'm was just thinking (justifying to myself) that maybe the resale value wouldn't be to bad if there were more resorts available.
Resale purchasers of Riviera are limited to using their points at Riviera and only at Riviera.

ETA: and RCI exchange as @erionm pointed out

Riviera or RCI exchange.

Resale can be an incredible deal if you understand the restrictions, plan ahead and you have other contracts to use at the other resorts. I paid $117pp net ($134pp minus the $17pp rental on points that came with it for which I paid no dues.) Be forewarned, borrowing is a pain right now with Riviera resale until they fix the system to allow you to borrow without calling in.

Last edited:
Based on comments by a few who bought Riviera Resale, their intentions were to only use the points at Riviera. It seems that may be keeping the resale price up and not the sub $100 region where many were predicting prior to it opening. Also, if sales don’t meet expectations over time, DVD did retain the right to revise restrictions. Not saying they will do so.

Based on comments by a few who bought Riviera Resale, their intentions were to only use the points at Riviera. It seems that may be keeping the resale price up and not the sub $100 region where many were predicting prior to it opening. Also, if sales don’t meet expectations over time, DVD did retain the right to revise restrictions. Not saying they will do so.

This is me! I love the resort and paid to buy the resale points because I know how often I will be staying at RIV as part of my split stays.

I have plenty of points to stay elsewhere, have my blue card, and so I really have the best of all worlds.

Yep, Sandisw has said on other threads - she loves RIV.

I recently brought a direct 200 point contract, just waiting for it to close. That should allow me to stay at any new resorts which might open.

Just Riviera.
But it will not massively impact re-sale value. Future resorts will have similar restrictions. Lots of people really always stay in their home resort anyway. 2042 resorts will see their resale value far more impacted by the fact that expiration is approaching then the re-sale restrictions will hurt re-sale of Riviera.
I'm not saying there will be no impact on re-sale prices, but Riviera won't be rendered worthless -- Looking ahead 5-10 years, re-sale value will likely be higher than the 2042 resorts, even if a few dollars less than some of the other 206X original resorts.

Restrictions are here to stay at Riv and future resorts. The only thing that hurt sales was the timing of the Covid closure -- just a few months after the Grand opening, at what should have been a strong time for tours and sales.

Anyone thinking re-sale will fall under $100 per point is crazy.
Compare it to a 2042 original resort: Pay...
A. $130-$150 for those resorts, for 21 years worth of stays, but only in the original 14 resorts (with availability very often tightly limited), not Riviera and not future resorts.
B. Or... pay for 49 more years, but only in the one newest resort.

Is "B" worth less than "A"? Debatable. I'd say many people would pick "B", taking the extra 28 years as worth more than the flexibility to occasionally stay at other resorts. But I'm sure there are some people who would argue "A" is more valuable.
And even if the majority of people thought "A" was more valuable... at what price difference?
If it's $30,000 (200 points) for re-sale at a 2042 resort where you might occasionally trade points to stay at another resort, knowing you can't stay at Riviera with those points...
Even if you found that more valuable than resale at Riviera lasting through 2070, how much more valuable? For $27,000, saving $3,000 + getting an extra 28 years, would you live with the resale restrictions? That's still $135 per point. Or for $25,000 instead of $30,000 -- save $5,000 + get an extra 28 years, surely lots of people would take that compromise to live with the restrictions -- That's still $125 per point.
How about saving $7000 + an extra 28 years -- That's still $115 per point!

Everything has a price. Lots of people would be happy to make Riviera their exclusive Disney home, for the right price. Yes, the restrictions might make Riviera less attractive to a re-sale buyer, but how much less attractive.
The only DVC expirations within 5 years or Riviera are the Poly -- where re-sale is about $175 per point, and Copper Creek where re-sale is about $170.
So even applying a 25% discount for re-sale restrictions, that would still leave Riviera will a healthy re-sale price of $130.
(The prices I'm currently seeing for Riviera are in the 160's)

I'm not 100% certain the restrictions are here to stay but a case could be made for buying resale now while its low because if they are lifted, it will make a considerable difference in resale value. If not, you're no worse off than someone selling one they purchased direct.

I think resale restrictions are here to stay. I love the Riviera and have thought about resale but the restrictions make me pause. Also when GF2 goes on sale that might impact resale at RIV since those points will not be available for use at GF1 or 2.

Does anybody have a link or a statement from Disney? I just want to see how it's worded. Does it say -'Resale buyers may not use their points at any of the original 14 resorts' or does it say 'Resale buyers may only use points at this resort'. ?

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think there's a very good chance my AKL contract will be taken ROFR and I'm seriously considering buying Riveria direct (that or AKL) ... it's just those resale restrictions. We're planning on keeping our contract but you never know what the future holds.

Does anybody have a link or a statement from Disney? I just want to see how it's worded. Does it say -'Resale buyers may not use their points at any of the original 14 resorts' or does it say 'Resale buyers may only use points at this resort'. ?

I know I'm beating a dead horse, but I think there's a very good chance my AKL contract will be taken ROFR and I'm seriously considering buying Riveria direct (that or AKL) ... it's just those resale restrictions. We're planning on keeping our contract but you never know what the future holds.

Here is the actual language that is part of the RIV POS.

Thank you! "at any other DVC resort, including any future DVC resorts ..."
Yep, that's pretty clear. It's still very tempting. When we started this process I knew exactly what I wanted; either AKL or Poly 100 points. Now I don't want Poly at all but seem to want everything else :) and even though we're waiting for a contract to pass with twice as many points as we first wanted ... I want even more.

Here is the actual language that is part of the RIV POS.
"or other seller approved by DVD" is some interesting language. Didn't Fidelity used to be an "approved" resale partner that DVC recommended when people wanted to sell?

"or other seller approved by DVD" is some interesting language. Didn't Fidelity used to be an "approved" resale partner that DVC recommended when people wanted to sell?

They were a broker that DVC recommended but they were never considered “approved” by any means.

I think what this language does is again, give them leeway to make decisions on keeping, changing or eliminating the restrictions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter