• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

River Country good for young family??

PattiPB

<font color=green>I'll be happy to learn the secre
In June we are thinking of taking a day to go to River Country - they are open 10-6.

Our family includes myself, DH, and three kids who will be turning 7, 5, & 3 this summer. We will also have two more adults with us.

I'm looking for comments and suggestions for families that have been to RC with young non-swimmers. The ticket price is certainly good for a first-time water park ($15 adults, $12 kids).

If you've recently been, please give me your comments! Thanks!

Patti

We were ther last summer and the kids had a blast. There was the All American Water Party, not sure if they are doing it this year, with Minnie & Pluto. Goofy went down the water slide in the big pool. The kids got to join in the parade and then they were doing the limbo in the sand. My kids were 7, 5 & 2. After the limbo contest there was a cannonball contest for my 2 older kids. Even tho my 5 yo old doesn;t swim well, the CM let her do the cannonball and caught her and brought her over to me.
They also have a small wading area with little kid water slides and rockers to sit on. In another area there is a fountain that squirts water up periodically, similiar to DD. There is a concession stand too.

There is a pool and a sandy beach. There are bigger things to do for the older people, like tube slides and waterslides and other things to play on out in the water.

Hope this helps.

Robin

Thank you Robin!!!

I know it's the oldest and smallest WP, but it shouldn't be so hard to get information!!! The WDW video glosses over it, guidebooks virtually ignore it, and it seems like most DISers head to BB or TL!!!

If anyone else has been there, PLEASE let me know!

Patti

Hi! I haven't been to River Country in probably 18 years. (last time I was at WDW) We'll be going back to WDW in September and River Country is def. on my list to do! I remember River Country very well from my own childhood. Can't wait to bring my 3 year old and see her reaction.

Btw, I lived in Las Vegas for 20 years - moved away 3 years ago. Have a great time at River Country. Your kids will love it!

Took kids ages 3 and 6 to RC 2 years ago. They loved it. 3 yo ended up falling asleep in a lounge chair, but the older one felt bigger there than at any other water park because of the set up. She got to try her first water slide and found plenty to keep her busy for 4 hours, actually more but we had to leave then.

Have a great time.

Is River Country crowded?

Our daughter will almost be 2 when we go to WDW this summer. We're DVC members, so we can "pool hop" to Stormalong Bay and other pools. I've been considering going to a water park, but we'll have regular APs which do not include any extras. $15 doesn't seem like an expensive price if it's not too crowded.

River Country is only open Tuesday,Wednesday,Thursday and Saturday this year. The last two years RC has closed early September. I have been six times this year and it has not been that crowded.

Thanks! I'm glad it's not too crowded. Maybe we'll go there.

I also remember it as a teen and loved it :). Of course, that was a long time ago before all the fancy water parks.

Just got back...Everyone loved River Country...from age 39, (38, 35, 35, 16, 13, 7, 6) to age 4 River Country was the best water park! Very laid back, no long lines, nice shady spots and Goofy coming down the slides made this everyone's favorite!

I'm so happy to get such positive feedback on RC!!!

Now somebody please tell me where to sit while we are there!!!! I'm hoping to be able to watch all three kids in the kids areas so the other three adults can do the bigger slides. Is this possible??? What area should I "stake out" so the others can take a little time away from us but not leave me frazzled!?!?!?

Thanks - I'm getting VERY into this idea now!

Almost forgot---is there a specific time Goofy shows up??? We DO NOT want to miss it!

Patti

PattiPB
As we walked in the CM told us that Goofy would be there. We went straight back past the ice cream stand and made a right at the hair wraps. There is a fenced in sandy spot under cover of two big trees that gave shade for the entire time we were there as long as we moved the chairs. You can see the slides from here if you stand up. We bought a bucket, shovel sand toy combo for $5.00 and a plastic boat ($1.50) that kept our 4 yr old and timid 7 yr old busy while each of us took turns sitting by the water with them. The braver 6 yr old, and teens and other adults went on the slides, tube ride and in the water and just kept checking. There are lots of lounges, chairs and umbrellas on the beach. We thought food prices were reasonable but we also saw lots of people with coolers which looked like a good idea.

Goofy shows up all day, I not sure what time he starts but I usually notice him showing up on the half hour after noon. He goes up to the white water rapids and plays lifegaurd for a number of people and will send you down the rapids, then goofy and his lifegaurd go down. They head over to the swimming pool and goofy will go down the slide that drops into the water, he will spend sometime in the pool area with the kids. I have seen some kids grab onto goofy kind of tight and his lifegaurd had to get them off.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter